body mounts

roundss

Sharpest Tool
Nov 22, 2009
cleaning rust off something
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Since I had to take a shoe off to count them I thought I would ask..................

REALLY!!!!! 12?????????

Since I'm lazy..................and due to blood loss from scraping knuckles on over 50 years of rust........

What are you guys using as replacements (describe please: rubber, polly,lift, no lift,review of product)? If you used the stock frame.

I would search the interweb but it hurts to type.

Just kidding about the knuckles..............kinda

I used to have a 71 jeepster and quite a few of the guys on the forum there used boat rollers. They would buy one or two and then cut the pucks from them to the length/lift they wanted. I never tried it but was going to. Instead I sold the jeepster to my neighbor and bought my wagon!

here is a link to one of the threads about it. I would be curious to see what you guys here think about this.

http://www.jeepstercommandoclub.com/for ... oat+roller

I had 14 body mounts I believe on my '62 Wagon...I ordered 28 so I could lift the body up a bit, cheap lift.[attachment=0:18lponkb]Rear Suspension 007.jpg[/attachment:18lponkb]
Post your pictures, I have a hard time reading...this forum is like a "Playboy"...pictures are nice!!!!!!!

Attachments

• Rear Suspension 007.jpg
    Rear Suspension 007.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 129
So you just doubled up on yours then? How much lift did that give you, and if you don't mind about what did it cost?

Also, I am guessing you just replaced the bolts with longer ones?

( I am trying to save myself some work and shorten the learning curve by getting as much info as possible from those that have gone before me)

62 OlllO said:
I had 14 body mounts I believe on my '62 Wagon...I ordered 28 so I could lift the body up a bit, cheap lift.[attachment=1:31edmgxy]Rear Suspension 007.jpg[/attachment:31edmgxy]
Post your pictures, I have a hard time reading...this forum is like a "Playboy"...pictures are nice!!!!!!!
Yep 14 of them.

Kev, I am gonna shoot you if you use that setup to lift that body. You gonna be drivin down the highway and the body is gonna shake like a bowl of Jello...

here is my suggestion: Stop off at your local Jeep wrecking yard. They should have a ton of YJ, TJ body mounts laying around. They are a 4 piece unit (not counting the bolt).

YOU NEED the entire assembly. Then if you want to lift your body (as I intend to) then you can add an ADDITIONAL spacer. NOTE the alum spacer I added in the pic. I recommend either alum or hard poly rather than additional rubber, hockey pucks etc.

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 133
SavageSun Willys said:
Kev, I am gonna shoot you if you use that setup to lift that body. You gonna be drivin down the highway and the body is gonna shake like a bowl of Jello...

He will do it to, luckily, he was an officer, so chances are he'll miss. :thumbup:

Nice polyurathane body mount replacements were available a few years back throiugh JC Whitney. If I remember correctly they were available in oversize as well for a bit of a lift. I put a full set of standard replacements on mine and it has worked out quite well.
Steve

JBingham said:
SavageSun Willys said:

He will do it to, luckily, he was an officer, so chances are he'll miss. :thumbup:
LOL,BUT I was enlisted in Vietnam and I do know how to shoot... ;)

aquawilly54 said:
Nice polyurathane body mount replacements were available a few years back throiugh JC Whitney. If I remember correctly they were available in oversize as well for a bit of a lift. I put a full set of standard replacements on mine and it has worked out quite well.
Steve

I am no fan of the poly spacers unless you are using them for additional height. The reason why? Poly has to high of a durometer, or its just too plain hard and as a result its hard on the body-tub. This is true in SPADES if you keep the OEM frame. Even on late model Jeeps, YJ, TJ use of the poly mounts in lieu of the OEM mounts often leads to body-tub cracking due to frame flex. The OEM mounts are much softer and absorb the flex and hard knocks. That said if you want to raise the body then use of a poly mount is fine in conjunction with the OEM mounts... ;)

I realized on October 5, 1966 that a young man can not out run lead being propelled from a gun, and yes I could feel the bullet entire and twist as it ripped thru my chest.....so I'm hoping Savage has bad aim at this point. :lol: We all learn from our mistakes and I'm thankful Savagesun has caught me doing a no-no :oops: ....We all should demand him being our "Tech Guy"....like others that come one here, post their spectacular rig with write-ups and pictures...but then they are gone....Savagesun has been here from the start and gives safe solutions to our rigs and he will write back to you!, we should all be thankful....now don't get a big head Savage....I think it would be cheaper for me... however, to just fly you out here for a week-end, do you think your boss would let you go?
OK I'll go junk yard hopping....thank you, thank you, thank you
For Sale 28 New Body Mounts for a Willys Station Wagon......I paid $48.00 for all of them.

62 OlllO said:
I realized on October 5, 1966 that a young man can not out run lead being propelled from a gun, and yes I could feel the bullet entire and twist as it ripped thru my chest.....so I'm hoping Savage has bad aim at this point. :lol: We all learn from our mistakes and I'm thankful Savagesun has caught me doing a no-no :oops: ....We all should demand him being our "Tech Guy"....like others that come one here, post their spectacular rig with write-ups and pictures...but then they are gone....Savagesun has been here from the start and gives safe solutions to our rigs and he will write back to you!, we should all be thankful....now don't get a big head Savage....I think it would be cheaper for me... however, to just fly you out here for a week-end, do you think your boss would let you go?
OK I'll go junk yard hopping....thank you, thank you, thank you
For Sale 28 New Body Mounts for a Willys Station Wagon......I paid $48.00 for all of them.
Kev, you are too kind...BUT if you got shot in the chest then you were running the wrong way. I said if I ever got shot they would hit me in the bottom of my foot.

I am going to do (or intend to) a 1" body lift. So you can put me down for 14 of those body mounts I will meet you half way on the $48. Hold'um till Moab.

Yea, the war dept and chief of finance would let me run out there. Matter of fact she and I usually take separate vacations. She has her girl friends from here to Afrika, France you name it and she goes to Europe often. She is heading out this summer for a month in Europe and I think I might meet her over in Italy to tour the Ferrari plant in Milan. I go from time to time but I'd just soon let the girls be girls and do something else like Moab, Rubicon Trail etc.

Alright so I am reading thru this and see that it has been pointed out by our resident "tech guy" Savage that the poly is bad as a factory replacement? Is that my understanding? Mine are so many different sizes right now it's not funny. I was looking at doing the poly spacers as Kevin did (only 1 though). That being said I would be setting myself up for possible body cracks or splits from normal on-road and mild offroading???

There is still the solid rubber tube option to allow you to cut your own right?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7128

An option for close to factory setup and support?

Eric B said:
Alright so I am reading thru this and see that it has been pointed out by our resident "tech guy" Savage that the poly is bad as a factory replacement? Is that my understanding? Mine are so many different sizes right now it's not funny. I was looking at doing the poly spacers as Kevin did (only 1 though). That being said I would be setting myself up for possible body cracks or splits from normal on-road and mild offroading???

There is still the solid rubber tube option to allow you to cut your own right?
http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=7128

An option for close to factory setup and support?
The poly just does not have the 'give' that the rubber does. The result is that in heavy frame flex there is no absorption by the body mounts. That said, there are 14 of them and it might be that with that many and if you are not flexing the frame which generally comes from jaunts to Moab and general rock crawling activities then you might be fine. I would say that generally most folks would never have any issues...or so I guess. In the case of the Willys wagon with an OEM frame in my mind that seems like a weak link and prone to twist.

I am going to try and adapt OEM Jeep TJ body mounts + the additional 1" poly from Kevin..

That being said the rubber would be giving a better ride quality too, with more cushion action between the body and frame???/

Eric B said:
That being said the rubber would be giving a better ride quality too, with more cushion action between the body and frame???/
Yes, to a certain extent. The key drawback with poly is the ability for it to transfer vibrations. Ask anyone who has used poly for transmission or engine mounts. WOW, the fillings will come out of your teeth. What the rubber will do is to absorb the vibes thus contribute to a smoother ride.

Sam goes for spring and control arm mounts. While poly does not wear out as fast as rubber due to its less forgiving nature and inherent higher durometer it has a tendency to transmit rather than absorb.

Using the example of control arm bushings as found on late model jeeps, the Jeep Wrangler, Grand Cherokee and Liberty all use rubber bushings. HOWEVER, each vehicle line has unique rubber bushings with a differing durometers...GC being the softest to the Wrangler being the firmest.

All that said if longevity is of prime importance and you are willing to trade off some vibes then the poly is a good choice. I lot of rock crawlers using them on their rigs that are trailered. I will say that in my minds eye I am not totally convinced. Poly while strong does deform. Deformation as a result of extreme angularity. This can lead to looseness in the joints. The other downside and this applies mostly to stock rigs is due to poly toughness and less forgiving nature it will rip attachment points right off the frame and or initiate stress cracking.

I run what evangelize...all rubber (OEM, except motor mounts) body, motor, transmission and control arm mounts. I have never ripped off a mount or found any stress cracks in spite of running the hardest of trails. In the case of motor mounts, I use specaily constructed MM made by MORE out of 'torsional rubber' which is still a rubber compound but stronger than OEM. http://www.mountainoffroad.com/_e/Motor ... 1_Lift.htm

Well said Savage!
I totaly agree. The use of poly is overrated. I really doubt anyone restoring a Willys truck or wagon would ever encounter the exteme conditions where poly mounts would be best suited. They are a bit too extreme for my tastes. Rubber is best IMO. In fact, check out the 83 Toyota P/U body mounts. They have the steel sleeve between the sandwich of mounts the way body mounts should be designed.

IMO a prober body mount should be a sandwich design, would you agree?

Sorry if this has been stated before, as I'm getting behind on my computer time. Seems a new Scout II followed me home yesterday. Then I tripped on a set of D44 front/D60 rear axles with S.O. and R.S. flat top knuckles with 4.10 gears. Bought a diesel fired hot water pressure washer, so have been a tad bit busy :thumbup:

BioTex said:
Well said Savage!
. They have the steel sleeve between the sandwich of mounts the way body mounts should be designed.

IMO a prober body mount should be a sandwich design, would you agree?
Bought a diesel fired hot water pressure washer, so have been a tad bit busy :thumbup:
Yes I agree on the 'sandwich' mounts.

Diesel fired hot water pressure washer...WOW, I am envious of that. GREAT setup... ;)

Back