Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
If your doing a restoration you would put the same engine in it as it came with. If your modifying it then easiest would be another Willys engine. After that I would assume a Ford or Chevy inline 6 then a V6 and finally a Ford V8 followed by a Chevy V8 both small blocks.
An in line 6 would be a tight squeeze length wise. Small block V8's would be too much power for that light drive train. The V6 Buick would adapt right on the T96 Jeepster trans and would be a lot less strain on that original running gear. if the Jeepster has overdrive you would have an acceptable upgrade in power with driveability. I would suggest however a F 134 instead of the L134. Mostly a drop in with some minor alterations with more horsepower and a better engine.
diggerG

Mark W.

Sharpest Tool
Dec 6, 2014
Silverton Oregon
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
An in line 6 would be a tight squeeze length wise. Small block V8's would be too much power for that light drive train. The V6 Buick would adapt right on the T96 Jeepster trans and would be a lot less strain on that original running gear. if the Jeepster has overdrive you would have an acceptable upgrade in power with driveability. I would suggest however a F 134 instead of the L134. Mostly a drop in with some minor alterations with more horsepower and a better engine.
diggerG
51 Jeepsters came with inline 6's why they have the pointed grill.

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
51 Jeepsters came with inline 6's why they have the pointed grill.
A very short 6 cyl. They also put them in earlier wagons with the flat grille so it isn't exactly the grille issue. For a 6 in a 4 x 4 truck or wagon a frame modification is needed.
diggerG

Cranny

Gear Grinder
Jul 4, 2019
Vancouver
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
A Jeepster is a special car. Not many left. It is worth much more when left stock than with an after market engine. My first car 50 years ago was a 51 Jeepster with the F head 4 cylinder. It did everything I needed it to do when I was running around as a kid. I admit it is not a great freeway car but It sounds like you are not doing road trips. Just my 2 cents. Please keep it stock!

peewee
Thanks Peewee. Great points. Agree with the historical and nostalgic value of the stock side. Also made need a little juice and freeway time due to living in a metro area. I will seriously consider the stock option.
51’s Rock!!!

pav1

Sharpest Tool
Sep 5, 2017
Georgetown Ontario
First Name
Jason
Willys Model
Jeepster
Willys Year:
Cranny, does your Jeepster have an engine in it now? If so have you driven it in the past with that engine?