Are all Wagon Tailgates Interchangeable ?

mpc

Sharpest Tool
Sep 21, 2009
Vista, CA 92083
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
Just talking about the lower tailgate portion, not the upper window. I'm considering buying a tailgate that is in better condition rather than repairing mine. I've always assumed that all years are interchangeable, but maybe someone knows for sure.
My Wagon is a '56. The donor is a later model.
Thanks.

I think they are all the same, except the barn door style. Like the doors on the trucks and wagons, Willys didn't retool and change things very often.

I went and looked at it yesterday. One thing I noticed was the length of the hinge segments seemed longer on the 1960 than on my 1956. Mine are each 2" long whereas the '60 were 3" or longer (I didn't measure). Not a big deal, since it looked like it would attach the same way.

Mute point for this Wagon since the donor was not in much better shape than mine. Not enough salvageable parts on it to make it worth the hassle to buy the whole Wagon. It had fire damage and a few funky suspension mods. The owner did not want to part out just the tailgate. Oh well.

Side question: Where the tailgate has the screws that connect it to the body, is it also spot welded to the body? I'm trying to gauge how hard it will be to remove my tailgate to work on it / repair.

Both of my wagons age just screwed on. Mine had some really rusted and frozen screws, but no weld.

Back