Aquiring my parts

GWH

Gear Grinder
Oct 31, 2009
Ellensburg Wa.
Willys Model
Willys Year:
My progress so far. I have bought a 84' Grand wagoneer for my new frame, suspension, PS, disc brakes, front and rear axles
Bought a 1988 F250 4 X 4 7.3 diesel ZF5 spd for motor though I am working on getting my old truck back from a bone yard that the guy I sold it to turned it in for cash for clunkers even though it didnt qualify. It is a 86 F250 6.9 C6 4 X 4 , I figure it will be a little easier to convert the auto than the 5spd. In the mean time I might have a few willys parts for sale as I start stripping it down for assembly.
At this time it has a 232 studebaker V8 3 spd that will be for sale, possibly the original seats although they are pretty rough from sitting for 15 years in a field, and basically all the stock running gear

BioTex

Sharpest Tool
Nov 15, 2009
Alpine, TX
Willys Model
Willys Year:
The 7.3 L is a much better engine than the 6.9L.

There is a good market for them if you do decide to sell it though.

62 OlllO

Well Oiled
Oct 19, 2009
Georgia
First Name
Kevin
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Acquiring parts is the one of the fun things during a project, it's the paying for them that hurts...I bought my Dana 44 axles, front and rear...'76 Scout II, now I have to buy all the parts to rebuild them...sounds as if you have the parts and the plan....good luck.

GWH

Gear Grinder
Oct 31, 2009
Ellensburg Wa.
Willys Model
Willys Year:
BioTex said:
The 7.3 L is a much better engine than the 6.9L.

There is a good market for them if you do decide to sell it though.

Not to cause a argument but in my opinion the only thing better about the 7.3 is the 1/2" head bolts, other than that they are virtually the same engine with a little smaller bore. I have owned both and have had much less problems with the 6.9. The 5 speed would be nice but the C6 is almost a bulletproof tranny and much easier to retrofit into the project

BioTex

Sharpest Tool
Nov 15, 2009
Alpine, TX
Willys Model
Willys Year:
I have a 7.3L, have not owned a 6.9L, so I am not a true expert. All the ranchers I talk to about this all say the 6.9 was underpowered compared with the 7.3L. I can not attest to the durability. Was tha 6.9 a Navstar also? I live in Ford Country for sure. I would say 80% drive or own a Ford truck out here. Mine is an 97 F250 with 186,000 and going strong.

GWH

Gear Grinder
Oct 31, 2009
Ellensburg Wa.
Willys Model
Willys Year:
yours being a 97' is a powerstroke, the motors I am dealing with are IDI motors and non turbo (not yet at least) totally different motors There is a cavitation problem with the 7.3s which aeration in the coolant causes pinholes in the cylinder walls which does not occur with the thicker walled 6.9s...and yes the 6.9 is a navistar also