Anyone running 255/85R16 tires?

Hey all, this is the Interco Blem list. I have bought from them and the Blems cannot be noticed. I used the ones I bought on my Jeepster Commando rock crawler. But the Irok NDs are a great price. You do have to pay shipping and have them mounted and balanced but if it works out then good.
https://www.intercotire.com/blem_list_0

People run wheel spacers on race trucks they work great never had an issue.
If you use the cheap thin spacers from auto parts stores, it can be trouble. If you use the wider spacers that you bolt to the lugs and then bolt to the tires to the lugs that are part of the new spacer, they are good. If that all makes sense

People run wheel spacers on race trucks they work great never had an issue.

I wouldn't. You can if you want. There are also a lot of race truck that have lost wheels.

Yes it does. It's actually a re-mold not a recap. Interesting to watch Treadwrights video on there website on the manufacturing of these tires. .
Yep! I watched the vid, now trying to decide if that's what I want to do. I LOVE the tread and tire design. Still loks old school but want to make sure it holds up. They use Quality carcasses but they're still old tires...

Yep! I watched the vid, now trying to decide if that's what I want to do. I LOVE the tread and tire design. Still loks old school but want to make sure it holds up. They use Quality carcasses but they're still old tires...

The only other issue is that you may get 4 tires made from 4 different mfg's carcasses. they all would have different driving characteristics.

For future reference, Fred Williams has 255/85R16 KM2s on his wagon that he mounted on a stretched YJ chassis. It looks like the tires mounted fine, even thought the Omix wheels are only 4.5 inches wide... but there's no report on whether there were any problems down the road. 4.5 inches is pretty narrow for a 255 tire.download.jpeg

For future reference, Fred Williams has 255/85R16 KM2s on his wagon that he mounted on a stretched YJ chassis. It looks like the tires mounted fine, even thought the Omix wheels are only 4.5 inches wide... but there's no report on whether there were any problems down the road. 4.5 inches is pretty narrow for a 255 tire.
Looks like he’s running Rancho springs, or something very similar. Another option to achieve roughly the same diameter would be to just go with 33x15 tires on an 8” wide rim. The tread width would be just 1.4” wider, and the tires are a bit cheaper. It would be doable with the Ranchos, which were made to enable beefier tires on these things.

Looks like he’s running Rancho springs, or something very similar. Another option to achieve roughly the same diameter would be to just go with 33x15 tires on an 8” wide rim. The tread width would be just 1.4” wider, and the tires are a bit cheaper. It would be doable with the Ranchos, which were made to enable beefier tires on these things.

It's a wagon body only on a 90s YJ Wrangler chassis, so it sits a lot higher than a stock wagon. I posted it just as a reference for how the 255s look. Here is the whole build article:

https://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/body-chassis/1705-dropping-a-willys-on-wrangler/

For future reference, Fred Williams has 255/85R16 KM2s on his wagon that he mounted on a stretched YJ chassis. It looks like the tires mounted fine, even thought the Omix wheels are only 4.5 inches wide... but there's no report on whether there were any problems down the road. 4.5 inches is pretty narrow for a 255 tire.
What color would y'all call Fred's wheels?

Chris, just for shitzngiggles I checked the Rancho site and it looks like they no longer "stock" springs, etc. for old Jeeps.
FWIW, you might hit up Alcan Spring in CO for a quote on custom Willys "lift" springs. They will be more $$$ than the stock height units that Walck's, et al sells, but you can spec your lift.
I used Eaton Detroit for my replacements, spec'd a 1" lift and Delrin between the leaves, made for a nice ride.

Frank, you're quite welcome!
But hey, I'm now in tire search mode so I'll keep this thread bumping along...

Like a lot of folks I'm looking for something tall, skinny and radial. I love the look of the BFG KM3 7.5/16's but the tread is a bit too aggressive for my general driving (though @cwdtmmrs tells me they are chick magnets!) .
Plus, I had KO2's on my 4x4 van and outside of the first few days the whole experience was extremely frustrating! Swore I would never buy BFG's again.
I replaced the KO2's with Falken Wildpeak at3w's and am very happy with them; quiet, nice road manners, balanced up easy, and work well off road and in snow. Problem is the Falkens get real wide the taller they get; the Sprinter has a lot more tire room so the fat footprint isn't a problem like it is on the Willys.
I ordered up some 16 x 6 steel wheels for the wagon and am looking for something 30" or so tall with a 7.5 to 8.5 tread width. If anyone has come across something like that or close, please post it up.
Thanks!

Back