Anyone running 255/85R16 tires?

That is a size commonly used on F250 pickups, at least in the 1990s. Tirerack.com lists the diameter as 31.7”.

That's 235/85R16.... I'm asking about 255/85R16, which theoretically are 33.1" diameter. Much less common size than the 235s.

I notice I didn't put the size I was asking about in the post, just in the title, which could cause confusion. Will fix that now.

Icebox AKA Joseph is. He is on a stretched wheel base with YJ springs, Waggy 44s and an LS

This is plucked from his Instagram Feed where he goes as #extaskier

Check out Pete's post about 30 minutes ago in "Where Was Your Willys Today" for a couple shots in the snow.

f0bc353e94c8a50b794559bc3935a3b6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I want to run the 255/85r16 Toyota tires. They are the tallest they sell at 33.5 in

I run that size on my DD 2005 LJ Rubicon. Not sure about under a wagon though.

I have 235/85R16 toyo mt’s on my stock ‘60 wagon. Any bigger and they wouldn’t tuck inside the rear fender lip on a stock wagon. Mine rub the inside of the rear wheel wells in a heavy articulated twist, but just clear the outside body.

I think you’d also get quite a bit of rubbing on the factory steering drag link with the bigger tires. Mine will rub the drag link in a full left lock turn, but just barely.

Pete

I have 235/85R16 toyo mt’s on my stock ‘60 wagon. Any bigger and they wouldn’t tuck inside the rear fender lip on a stock wagon. Mine rub the inside of the rear wheel wells in a heavy articulated twist, but just clear the outside body.

I think you’d also get quite a bit of rubbing on the factory steering drag link with the bigger tires. Mine will rub the drag link in a full left lock turn, but just barely.

Pete

That is why I was so determined to find a set of 7.50r16 tires I liked. Just enough narrower than the 235/86R16's on stock rims that they will clear the fenders even with chains installed. My 230 steering with the bell crank cures the drag ling issue as well.

PS. I have never measured a tire that was the advertised height. I always go by the revolutions per mile and work back to the true diameter.

Thanks for all the replies. Joseph's wagon is a great reference, as the 255 Bighorns were one option that I was considering.

My wagon has lift springs of unknown origin (I suspect they are custom made). I'm sure there would be some rubbing with 255s, but it should be manageable. My body mounting rubbers are all shot... replacing those should gain me close to an inch more clearance, and I can add a little more to that if necessary.

I am currently running worn 31x10.5R15s on unknown 6" steel wheels with 3.3125 backspacing. They measure 30.2" x 9.75", and barely clear the rear fender lip during articulation:

20180503_184618.jpg

The Co-op (aka Buckshot Mudder) repos are P78-16 on Omix reproduction 4.5" rims with 3.125" backspacing. They measure out at 31.7" x 8.25" and also clear without rubbing. Similar setup to Tim's 7.50-16 BFGs.

20180717_172545.jpg

I have a mounted 235/85R16 here, but it's pretty bald. Pete, do you have an actual diameter measurement of your 235 Toyos? As Tim says, I've never had a tire that was true to stated height, and the Co-ops have been the worst so far... two inches smaller than what the sidewall claims.

Not in a big hurry to make a purchase... the wagon doesn't get driven in the winter (to protect it from road salt), and it's about to go up on the lift for drivetrain removal.

Thanks,
Andy

In this clip, at the 40 second mark, you can see how the Toyo's tuck on my wagon. They definitely won't fit with chains on the rear.

Here's a pic of the tires on the wagon, next to Joseph's wagon-
willyswintercruise03.jpg

There's lots of pics of the wagon in my build thread, link below. Or my instagram page here.

Thanks for all the replies. Joseph's wagon is a great reference, as the 255 Bighorns were one option that I was considering.

My wagon has lift springs of unknown origin (I suspect they are custom made). I'm sure there would be some rubbing with 255s, but it should be manageable. My body mounting rubbers are all shot... replacing those should gain me close to an inch more clearance, and I can add a little more to that if necessary.

I am currently running worn 31x10.5R15s on unknown 6" steel wheels with 3.3125 backspacing. They measure 30.2" x 9.75", and barely clear the rear fender lip during articulation:

View attachment 66496

The Co-op (aka Buckshot Mudder) repos are P78-16 on Omix reproduction 4.5" rims with 3.125" backspacing. They measure out at 31.7" x 8.25" and also clear without rubbing. Similar setup to Tim's 7.50-16 BFGs.

View attachment 66497

I have a mounted 235/85R16 here, but it's pretty bald. Pete, do you have an actual diameter measurement of your 235 Toyos? As Tim says, I've never had a tire that was true to stated height, and the Co-ops have been the worst so far... two inches smaller than what the sidewall claims.

Not in a big hurry to make a purchase... the wagon doesn't get driven in the winter (to protect it from road salt), and it's about to go up on the lift for drivetrain removal.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy, have you had any issues with running the 4.5” wide wheels? I’m talking about steering, handling, etc. I’m hoping to run the 235/85 16 on that rim, and I’ve seen a few people say that rim is too narrow. And we all know how hard it is to find the 5” rims.
Thanks
David

In this clip, at the 40 second mark, you can see how the Toyo's tuck on my wagon. They definitely won't fit with chains on the rear.

Here's a pic of the tires on the wagon, next to Joseph's wagon-
willyswintercruise03.jpg

There's lots of pics of the wagon in my build thread, link below. Or my instagram page here.
Now that's a good looking pair.

Andy, have you had any issues with running the 4.5” wide wheels? I’m talking about steering, handling, etc. I’m hoping to run the 235/85 16 on that rim, and I’ve seen a few people say that rim is too narrow. And we all know how hard it is to find the 5” rims.
Thanks
David

It's really impossible to say with the Co-op tires, as their super-deep tread makes them notoriously squirrely on pavement. The fact that they are bias ply also effects the handling. No issues in terms of debeading, ect, but I can't speak to driveability.

Pete has his 235s on stock rims. I'm not sure if they're of the 4.5" or 5" variety, but I suspect that the half inch difference in width probably would make no discernable difference in handling. Either width is technically (according to the tire manufacturers) too narrow for a 235/85R16.

If narrowness or lack of safety bead are a concern, the 6" wide Wheel Vintiques rims would be a good choice. They don't have a 100% stock look, but are pretty close.

It's really impossible to say with the Co-op tires, as their super-deep tread makes them notoriously squirrely on pavement. The fact that they are bias ply also effects the handling. No issues in terms of debeading, ect, but I can't speak to driveability.

Pete has his 235s on stock rims. I'm not sure if they're of the 4.5" or 5" variety, but I suspect that the half inch difference in width probably would make no discernable difference in handling. Either width is technically (according to the tire manufacturers) too narrow for a 235/85R16.

If narrowness or lack of safety bead are a concern, the 6" wide Wheel Vintiques rims would be a good choice. They don't have a 100% stock look, but are pretty close.
Only thing with the wheel vintiques is the dual bolt pattern looks a little less than desirable. I may consider the u.s. wheels hot rod wheel.
Thanks,
David

Back