Anyone know what became of this 6 WD wagon ?

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
So I emailed Ramsey's customer service today with a copy of the picture, and got this kind response:

"I have been with the Ramsey Winch Company for 23 years and I can tell you that the picture was taken in front of our first location on Admiral Blvd in Tulsa, OK. "

The awesome rep also attached a 1959 Ransey winch guide that features all Willys. Here are the first two pages:

Vintage Willys pics - Ramsey winches 01.jpg

Vintage Willys pics - Ramsey winches 02.jpg

So at some point, the six wheeled Wagon made it at some point to Tulsa. Where is the more recent picture in post 1 from?

Gojeep

Well Oiled
First Name
Marcus
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I'd like to see how the rear drive of both axles was accomplished.

Andy
There was once a conversion here where they powered the rearmost axle off the pto output.

Another conversion mounted a transfercase to the center axle itself in front of the pinion. It was angled so a jack shaft could go over the axle from the back of the transfercase to the rear axle.

First Name
Andrew
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
There was once a conversion here where they powered the rearmost axle off the pto output.

Another conversion mounted a transfercase to the center axle itself in front of the pinion. It was angled so a jack shaft could go over the axle from the back of the transfercase to the rear axle.
I've seen transfer cases modified for dual rear output with a mix of Dana 18 and Dana 20 parts. If this machine is actually factory built, it would have been before the Dana 20 case was around. The fact that the ad mentions a PTO makes it unlikely that's how it was done, anyway.

I think some of the 6x6 military Jeep prototypes had a chain drive arrangement from the forward rear axle, but I don't know what it looked like.

Andy

nbtud51

Bigger Hammer
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I'm not sure when the the most recent photo was taken. I think I found the photo on a old Willys Jeep related forum many years ago but I forget which one it was . Someone who spotted the wagon had snapped a picture of it but he didn't provide much info on it or where it was. I often wondered if the owner ever restored it. It's certainly a one of a kind wagon.

Joe B

Precision Fit
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
Forward Control
Willys Year:
An earlier prototype:

1942Jeept14Command-and-reconcar-a.jpg

(Just kidding! Maybe...)

Dave/eWillys.com posted this today:
http://www.ewillys.com/2019/03/14/1941-willys-overland-dual-drive-patent/
(I think he's spyin' on us!)

Here's a nice recollection by a "Joe" -- likely Joe Sicenavage -- of his and his Scouting buddies unexpected boyhood encounter with a Willys MT-Tug 6x6 (thanks yet again to "e'" Dave):
http://www.ewillys.com/2013/06/17/photos-of-a-mt-tug-6x6/#comments

And check out this discussion for some detailed MT-Tug drive line drawings:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-vehicles/116115-willys-super-jeep-6x6.html

I suspect the mystery wagon shares some DNA with the Tug.

Last edited:
First Name
Andrew
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Are these two photos actually the same vehicle. Notice the belt trim stops at the door edge on the bottom photo. On the top photo the belt trim reaches the rear of the vehicle. Also the front hubs are different.
Looking at two different sides of the vehicle... maybe trim fell off the drivers side.

Ad states "Warn hubs (not shown)".

Andy

Bill Norris

Sharpest Tool
First Name
Bill
Willys Model
CJ
Willys Year:
The old Jeep in house museum had all kinds of pictures like like this. They called them hobby shop vehicles or something like that. Oddball experimental things. I believe there was a picture of a 6 wheel drive pickup with a dump bed. I wish I had taken pictures of them.

Bill

scramboleer

Super Moderator
Staff member
All-Star
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The old Jeep in house museum had all kinds of pictures like like this. They called them hobby shop vehicles or something like that. Oddball experimental things. I believe there was a picture of a 6 wheel drive pickup with a dump bed. I wish I had taken pictures of them.

Bill
Where is (was) this museum? Toledo? Auburn Hills?