Any other springs bolt up to stock location?

CJ Steak

Bigger Hammer
Oct 5, 2009
Hutto, TX - Near Austin
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Well after putting over a ton and a half of firewood in the back of my '62 PU, I climbed underneath and could see how shot my spring bushings and springs were in general. Mind you the truck only squatted about 2 inches in the back, but the bushings were non existent. I can also feel the rear end walking around a little bit if I get on a crappy road.

Long story short, I don't want to pay over a grand for the full suspension kit that Kaiser Willys wants when every other leaf sprung 4x4 in the world costs around 500 bucks for the same thing, give or take. (talking stock springs here, nothing special)

Are there any other springs for a different application that will bolt up to my pickup? Will CJ7/CJ8 springs work? I remember getting a Rough Country lift for my '49 CJ2A years ago and it was only 300 bucks. I know Rough Country makes pretty cheap leaf spring kits for a ton of different applications, and cheap too.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

-Chris

Imposter71

Sharpest Tool
Sep 23, 2009
NC Coast
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I think that rancho used to make a 2.5 inch lift for them. I called and they ( of course) no longer make one.

Not much help but at least you know 1 place not to look.

SavageSun Willys

Sharpest Tool
Jan 7, 2010
Scottsdale, AZ
Willys Model
Willys Year:
You need to measure your leaf spring: Here is how to do it CORRECTLY: http://www.eatonsprings.com/measuring.htm

EATON Detroit Spring Since 1937
Is the only source for the correct Leaf and Coil Springs for your vehicle because we have:

* Over 24,000 Original Manufacturers Spring Blueprints
* An in-house design staff
* Over 166,000 stock leaf spring & coil spring applications
* Over 70 years of leaf & coil spring manufacturing experience
* Custom leaf & coil spring manufacturing ability
* A full line of Attaching Hardware and Shocks

1555 Michigan Avenue, Detroit, MI 48216
Phone 1-313-963-3839
Fax 1-313-963-7047
sales@eatonsprings.com

http://www.eatonsprings.com/index.html

Let us know if this works out for you...

aquawilly54

Well Oiled
Sep 21, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
CJ,
Aside from paying the big bucks for proper springs, those Rancho's are often found on ebay. I just saw a set about 3 weeks ago. Rancho doesn't make them any more but call all of your 4X4 shops and you might get lucky. I've had two sets over the years. They are thick and stiff and ride like tree trunks, but they do lend themselves well for a nice stance with 33's.
Steve

CJ Steak

Bigger Hammer
Oct 5, 2009
Hutto, TX - Near Austin
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Thanks for the replies everyone!

I'll keep my eyes peeled on ebay for a set. It's not a huge emergency. I do have a rolling chassis from a wagon that someone gave me for 20 bucks last year. I guess I could look at the springs on that thing. I just hate to go through all that work to replace a wore out spring with a wore out spring LOL... and I know my luck.