May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
So I came home to this last night and now my work begins. Tail light wiring, windshield wipers, heat and floors. I'm going to put bigger wheels and tires on it but I really like the ratty body and may not fix that until I have to.IMG_0093.jpgIMG_0094.jpgIMG_0095.jpg

NDWillys

Sharpest Tool
All-Star
Aug 11, 2017
Scottsdale Arizona
First Name
Larry
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Geese,
Are you planning to use the LJ heat/ventilation and complete wiring harness? How did the column swap workout?
i appreciate your build details, wish I had barn doors on my Wagon.

geeser

Bigger Hammer
May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Geese,
Are you planning to use the LJ heat/ventilation and complete wiring harness? How did the column swap workout?
i appreciate your build details, wish I had barn doors on my Wagon.
I am not using the LJ heater box because it is to big for putting under the dash. I'm going to get a Vintage Air mini system for heat and then eventually air conditioning. The steering column installed pretty easily but it is really ugly. I have to figure out a way to clean it all up.

geeser

Bigger Hammer
May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Finally got the tail lights installed and working. I have to get led flashers for them but I like them a lot better than the originals. Backup lights are next.95061538-70B7-4FF8-B95A-FA0A233DF9B8.jpeg

geeser

Bigger Hammer
May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
So I worked on it a little today. Really just took the old tail lights off. Everyone is asking me if I am going to do any body work on this thing. I think I am going to just sand down all the surface rust, treat it, prime it and enjoy. I still haven't figured out why there is so much bondo on the barn doors because the seem to just have surface rust and from the inside they look good. Will not know until I sand it. That's the next project, or really just one of the many small projects on this. But it drives awesome and I love this thing.IMG_0115.jpg

Gojeep

Well Oiled
Jan 10, 2010
Victoria Australia
First Name
Marcus
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
Just remember that primer is porous, so wont seal the water out and will rust again over time.

norcalroots

Bigger Hammer
Jun 22, 2016
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Brian
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Hello,

How are you handling your fuel tank? Will you/do you need to keep the evaporation system in the back? I'm doing a similar build and was hoping you had solved some of the questions I have.

Thanks,

Brian

Mr Wilson

Gear Grinder
Apr 21, 2020
Glenwood City Wisconsin
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
  2. 1956
Hello Brian, I'm doing a similar build using a TJ frame. I used lot of parts from a Cherokee ,the fuel tank and pump are from a 94 YJ ,fuel lines are from the Cherokee along with the evaporation system mount in the engine bay. Moved the gas tank filler to the driver's side.

The wiring is from the Cherokee. I had some problems with the ECU, but got it figured out got it running and drove it around the yard finally. Feels good but still alot of work to finish up. If I was more techy, I would post some pictures.

norcalroots

Bigger Hammer
Jun 22, 2016
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Brian
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Hello Brian, I'm doing a similar build using a TJ frame. I used lot of parts from a Cherokee ,the fuel tank and pump are from a 94 YJ ,fuel lines are from the Cherokee along with the evaporation system mount in the engine bay. Moved the gas tank filler to the driver's side. The wiring is from the Cherokee ,had so problems with the ECU but got it figured out got it running and drove it around the yard finally . Feels good but still alot of work to finish up. If I was more techy I would post some pictures.
How did you move the filler? Any photos?

Mr Wilson

Gear Grinder
Apr 21, 2020
Glenwood City Wisconsin
First Name
Jeff
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
  2. 1956
I used the filler parts from a CJ to go through the body and used a light channel to angle down from side to floor and filled the sides with light metal. If I could figure out how to post pictures or send them I would.

geeser

Bigger Hammer
May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Hello,

How are you handling your fuel tank? Will you/do you need to keep the evaporation system in the back? I'm doing a similar build and was hoping you had solved some of the questions I have.

Thanks,

Brian
Basically I used everything from the 2005 TJ. The evaporative system is basically hidden high up on the frame. We moved the filler door to the drivers side by cutting it from the passenger side and placing it on the drivers side. My quarter panels need work so it’s kind of sloppy but temporary

norcalroots

Bigger Hammer
Jun 22, 2016
San Francisco, CA
First Name
Brian
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
Basically I used everything from the 2005 TJ. The evaporative system is basically hidden high up on the frame. We moved the filler door to the drivers side by cutting it from the passenger side and placing it on the drivers side. My quarter panels need work so it’s kind of sloppy but temporary
Do you have any photos of your work? Also, how did you get the TJ fuel filler valve with the large hooped breather tube into the Willys fuel tube? Bend it?

Thanks,

Brian

Gojeep

Well Oiled
Jan 10, 2010
Victoria Australia
First Name
Marcus
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
A wagon with barn doors , ain't many of those around , even less from the factory ,
It is called a Parkway conversion. If you looks it up on here you will find many references to them.

geeser

Bigger Hammer
May 3, 2017
Nantucket Ma.
First Name
Gisli
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
This wagon is actually not a Parkway conversion. It is a government issued barn door wagon. It is super rare and really cool. From all the research I have done this model was never offered to the public.

If I was to do this again I probably wouldn't use the LJ's drivetrain. I would probably use the previous generation of 4.0 just so I wouldn't have to use the steering column and dash from the LJ, but it is nice to have cruise control.

Thank you for all of the questions and making this thread active again, I've got to finish this thing off. Once my Wagoneer is alive again this project is back on my schedule.