Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Hope I’m in the right place. The engine in my 44 MB is a pre war L134. The casting number is 636593-W1 and the serial number is 39-5310. I’m hoping someone can tell me the year of manufacture and if this engine has conventional bearings or babbit bearings. Thanks

44 MB

Gear Grinder
Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
No, it is identical to the MB block with the serial number boss behind the oil filter housing where the 39-5310 number is stamped

jmos4

Gear Grinder
Aug 20, 2014
Imlay City, MI
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Hi,

I have a 37 doodlebug Willys car the motor has similar stamping, the first 2 digits I believe is the year as mine starts with 37, and that's the year of other parts on this doodlebug

Was told either 39 or 40 was the same as the Jeep 134, as mine has different head bolt locations

Regards,
Jim

44 MB

Gear Grinder
Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Hi Jim

I’m no expert on these prewar Willys engines but according to what I’ve read here the engines should be the same. I don’t quite know what your head bolt configuration looks like but I can tell you the 1939 Americar engine that is in my 1944 Willys Jeep is for the most part the same engine as in all of the war and post war Jeeps until they went to the F134 overhead valve engine. They say that the rod bearings were babbit bearings and could be converted to conventional bearings if you used connecting rods from a later L134 engine. Could you send a picture of your engine?

Paul

jmos4

Gear Grinder
Aug 20, 2014
Imlay City, MI
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Hi Jim

I’m no expert on these prewar Willys engines but according to what I’ve read here the engines should be the same. I don’t quite know what your head bolt configuration looks like but I can tell you the 1939 Americar engine that is in my 1944 Willys Jeep is for the most part the same engine as in all of the war and post war Jeeps until they went to the F134 overhead valve engine. They say that the rod bearings were babbit bearings and could be converted to conventional bearings if you used connecting rods from a later L134 engine. Could you send a picture of your engine?

Paul
Hi,

If you look up a head gasket they used to list 39 or 40 some say 41, I looked this afternoon on evilbay and they don't give a date range and was told that 37 is different from what I have been told by a few, one or two head bolts are in different locations to my understanding.

If you take the head off hopefully you have a copper or steel gasket you can reuse, either way be careful as trying to find a 37 has been a challenge for me, not sure on 39 availability but believe they may be the same as later Jeep engine.

Regards,
Jim

44 MB

Gear Grinder
Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Jim

My 39 engine has been apart and it uses the same gasket as the later Willys L134 engine. If you are in need of gaskets you can try to locate someone that is a “Best Gaskets” dealer. They make gaskets for many early engines. Best Gaskets doesn’t sell retail. Still would like to see a picture of your engine just for educational purposes.
Paul

jmos4

Gear Grinder
Aug 20, 2014
Imlay City, MI
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Jim

My 39 engine has been apart and it uses the same gasket as the later Willys L134 engine. If you are in need of gaskets you can try to locate someone that is a “Best Gaskets” dealer. They make gaskets for many early engines. Best Gaskets doesn’t sell retail. Still would like to see a picture of your engine just for educational purposes.
Paul
Hi again,

Not sure where I put the link and pictures I had, but here is what I believe is the correct part number victor 756c, not sure which holes are different, again going by what I was told, if this is wrong let me know as don't want to pass along bad info and would like to get one so I can free up the stuck valves

Screenshot_20220503-184703_Samsung Internet.jpg

Regards,
Jim

44 MB

Gear Grinder
Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Jim

The engine in a Whippet is not the same as the Willys L134.

Paul

diggerG

Well Oiled
Oct 2, 2011
Wrentham Ma.
First Name
Greg
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
If you don't have the rounded sidewalls on the block it will not be a babbitted engine.. One way to tell is just pull the pan off. It should be obvious. And I think my pre war Willys car engine has the same head bolt pattern.
diggerG

44 MB

Gear Grinder
Nov 9, 2021
New York
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
My friend just found a gasket guy that makes any kind of gasket. I’ll pass his contact info as soon as I get it