Sep 14, 2021
North Alabama
First Name
Spence
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Totally forgot I have a concert in New Orleans Oct 11th. Waited until the last minute to book airfare, Priceline "conveniently" says every flight I start to book is no longer available. So, here we go, me and Charlie Watts hitting the roads less travelled. Figured I would break up the trip by hitting my hometown of Jackson, MS, on to Slidell, LA. Not sure (I don't) trust the CJ5 in NOLA so I will probably have my friend drive his beater into NOLA for the show. I'll drive Charlie the next day to NOLA East city limits so I can claim NOLA. ;-)

Pictures forthcoming.

oblvnnwtnjhn

Bigger Hammer
Sep 14, 2021
North Alabama
First Name
Spence
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Too engulfed in the scenery to snap pics on the first leg. Charlie Watts/F-134 ran like a top the first 300 miles almost non stop at 55-60MPH. The .070 deck/head bump plus .080 bore seem to give the engine a little more balls. Only losing about 5 MPH or less on moderate inclines with the 7.5R16 tires.

Heat soak became an issue at stops. Ran out of fuel once (gah these crappy fuel senders), thankfully I had Jerry on hand.

Headed to Slidell in a bit.

Overall I'm impressed with the Hurricane. Much more enjoyable cruising the back roads at 55 vs 70+ on the interstates. I think an OD will be perfect for now.

Tralehead

Well Oiled
Aug 29, 2018
Silverado, CA
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
Slidell... ah Lucinda

"I'm gonna go to Slidell and look for my joy
Go to Slidell and look for my joy
Maybe in Slidell I'll find my joy
Maybe in Slidell I'll find my joy"

Did you find it?
Is Charlie still keepin' the beat?
Have a great trip!!!

oblvnnwtnjhn

Bigger Hammer
Sep 14, 2021
North Alabama
First Name
Spence
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
Made it home in one piece. Jeep ate another O'Reillys reman AC Delco alternator 10 miles from home. Jeep did so well overall, not bad mpg but no hard numbers.

I checked the belt alignment with the PO made alternator bracket last week, all aligned. This will make alternator #3 it's ate. Either alignment is slightly off or these reman units are garbage. About a 50/50 review on their site. At least they're free thus far....

Really happy with the F-134, solid engine. An OD will make it perfect