Fletcher North Carolina
First Name
Will
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
62 Wagon

So I'm under the dash working on the heater box, pulling out the old wire wound defrost hoses. The wires in the hoses suddenly were hot to the touch. I realized I had shorted something. So I quickly disconnected the battery and taped off a few bare wires, then finished pulling out the old hoses.

Later, I reconnected the battery and it cranked fine but - my Alt/Generator light is now staying on all the time. I drove it for 15 minutes with no changes. I've disconnected the battery again and left it sitting in the driveway.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix this.

By the way, just last week got my generator and VR repaired and tested - and was hoping I was past my electrical issues :)

Optimistically,
Will(ys) Springer
o|||o

Last edited:
If you got bare wires the Alt/Gen light is the least of your problems. The shorting wires could have ruined your gauge or burned a wire off. You need to check the integrity of all the wires.

Thanks DLJ.

I drove it today, seems fine, except for the alt/gen light staying on.

I've taped all the bear wires. Anybody else got any other ideas?

I would as dlj said and check for anymore bare wires,also check output of generator,this could have burned points in voltage regulator!

You might just need to polarize your generator. Do a search for how-to. By the way, is your wagon blue? My wife said she saw one on the road coming back from Waynesville today.

Back