Mar 17, 2019
Penryn Ca
First Name
Joe
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1962
Yup I think I figured out why the air cleaner was altered with a hammer. At first I thought the old hunter cooked his beans in it? Or maybe just fell off on the hunt. But now I believe you get 1 more hp by increasing the Venturi effect on the carburetor. But no seriously, what would be the purpose of smashing down just the top edge?

Any thoughts???9F24B597-B267-4369-9A03-DC698D7123EE.png

I dunno, somebody pissed off the Tidy-Bowl man?

Joe. I am equally flummoxed! Thee same guy must have worked on 98515020-CAA3-4BEC-9D08-A58F2BB14C17.jpegthe 57 that I am working on since mine looks pretty much the same! I will watch the thread with bated breath to see if someone has the answer!

That's bizarre that this was done to two of them. It's especially odd since the hammering doesn't seem to have changed the interior profile, from what I can see in Mark's picture, so it wouldn't affect the flow of the air once inside.

Are the carbs stock?

Maybe folks were trying to gain some hood clearance?

i have the same air cleaner on my 51 wagon and i was told it was incorrect...but now i see you and others have the same one so i guess it is correct....

The dents in these two examples look similar, and don't really look all that much like they are the result of impacts to the exterior of the housing.

I wonder if there is some condition -- perhaps overfilling or wayward water in the cup freezing up -- that could result in intake vacuum sucking this relatively thin sheet metal into distortion?

As dirt accumulates in the oil, the level in the cup increases.

Donaldson is still making oil bath air filters. Maybe send these images to their support folks?

https://www.donaldson.com/en-us/

Back during the "gas shortage" of the 1970s, folks were flipping over their air cleaner top covers to (purportedly) reduce restriction and increase gas mileage.

Does flipping the lid on these filters block the air intake?

Back