a 21 gallon tank option

BioTex

Sharpest Tool
Nov 15, 2009
Alpine, TX
Willys Model
Willys Year:
A fellow over on the WillysTech mailing list told me that the Isuzu trooper 21 gallon gas tank with the rock guard will fit nicely in the truck/wagon, and the filler is on the correct side.
Thought I'd share... :cheers:

I shall investigate...have a large tank has it's advantages, if we can afford to fill it.

I located an Isuzu tank with rock guard ( I don't have the year) and it's a huge mother and yes the filler is on the right side, however without taking the body off and doing some major manipulating of the frame tube and body brace, that sucker won't work...I found it not only to deep but to thick...I 'm not removing my body at this time, so I passed on it. Ebay has a plastic 18 gallon for $215, but I'm to cheap...so I have scrounged around the junk yard pile of tanks and have come up with on that will work ( yr. & model unknown). I will have to be creative on the filler, but I like a challenge...bend some muffler pipe... I plan on redesigning the rock guard from the Isuzu to protect miy new tank.
Please Note: The rubber on the filler IS NOT Radiator Hose, the parts store sell Good Gas Filler Hose.

I did some more checking, and found where maybe this would work.
A tank from a 88 Trooper (4dr). I think those are Isuzu II's. Might be diferent from the one 62 OIIIO tried. If anyone has access to one, let us know.

I would like to know on this. Failing a suitable donor I am going to play with my donor tank (21 gal '03 Jeep Wrangler). Without further investigation the filler is on the opposite but wrong side. All bad??? Dunno, but my plan is to take tank and spin it 180 degrees which now put the filler on the proper side. Will it work? Dunno, but that is the plan. And if I can ctach up on work here at the shop I hope to find out sooner rather than later...

I too, have found a donor tank with the filler on the left side...I will move my filler to the left... making it easier to put gas in when getting out of my Willys...being around a junk yard, I do not know what it came from...but will make it work. More Body Work.

62 OlllO said:
I too, have found a donor tank with the filler on the left side...I will move my filler to the left... making it easier to put gas in when getting out of my Willys...being around a junk yard, I do not know what it came from...but will make it work. More Body Work.
Kev, in my minds eye I am thinking that if one has a tank of suitable size and the only issue is the filler neck is on the wrong side (given that it is not at the rear of it) then just turning the tank 180 degrees now moves the filler to the opposite side. Then it becomes a question of shuffling the tank around to get a good fit.

The tank does not care what direction it faces!

All interesting, but need to know what these tanks are coming out of :x :x :x
I spent $300.00 getting the tank for my 58 Ranchero repaired only to have it look like Frankenstine pieced it together, then went over to see an old school friend who had just made his own tank using tools from Harbor freight for less than $300.00....he now has a much better looking tank he made himself and fun tools like bead rollers, crimping pliers and a cheep little wire feed welder that worked fine....not to mention he did it with his teen aged sons.
By the way this friend has 4 Willys in his garage. He, his wife and two sons are all working on their own Willys together at the same time....now that is Heaven on Earth if you ask me. :thumbup:

I've decided the original area the Willys gives us in the frame limits what we can fit in there. While using the "Gas Wrench" under the Willys, my friend said lets knock out the rivets on this frame tube and move it forward some, making additional room for a gas tank...Why not, sounds like a plan and I can maybe relocate my shock mounts to attach to it as well. At the back of the frame I'm planning on adding some steel to attach my bumper/hitch to so the rear won't care about me moving this tube 6".
[attachment=0:sh0n4fwn]Rear Suspension 021.jpg[/attachment:sh0n4fwn]
Please note as well the paint color under my wagon....green????? the Willys is originally Plantation White, when it came down the line the painter must have cleared his gun on my under carriage.

Attachments

• Rear Suspension 021.jpg
    Rear Suspension 021.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 64
  • Rear Suspension 021.jpg
    Rear Suspension 021.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 62
About a month ago I put one of the new poly tanks in mine, It looks just like the one on EBay and in fact I bought mine on EBay but it only holds 13-14 gallons, if anyone wants a 18 gallon tank as advertised you might want to be sure it's not a mis-print. I like the tank I got and it fit very well but I wish it held 18 gallons, maybe there are different sizes, I bought what was supposed to be a bolt in replacement and it is. just not 18 gallons.

BradW said:
About a month ago I put one of the new poly tanks in mine, It looks just like the one on EBay and in fact I bought mine on EBay but it only holds 13-14 gallons, if anyone wants a 18 gallon tank as advertised you might want to be sure it's not a mis-print. I like the tank I got and it fit very well but I wish it held 18 gallons, maybe there are different sizes, I bought what was supposed to be a bolt in replacement and it is. just not 18 gallons.
Not doubting you...The OEM Jeep tanks were ALL 21 gal tanks. But Jeep knowing how to make a buck offered an option over the small tank (about 14 gals or so) to a 21 gal tank. I bought it as did lots of others. Only later on did we find out that in fact we ALL had 21 gal tanks and it was the length of the pickup arm that made the difference.

First thing I would do is physically measure the size of your tank, that will tell you just how much it REALLY holds.

Let us know... ;)

SavageSun Willys said:
BradW said:
Not doubting you...The OEM Jeep tanks were ALL 21 gal tanks. But Jeep knowing how to make a buck offered an option over the small tank (about 14 gals or so) to a 21 gal tank. I bought it as did lots of others. Only later on did we find out that in fact we ALL had 21 gal tanks and it was the length of the pickup arm that made the difference.

First thing I would do is physically measure the size of your tank, that will tell you just how much it REALLY holds.

Let us know... ;)

Let me see if I'm following this, the wag tank is 21 gals and need the pick up moved to use all 21 gals?

64 Traveler said:
[quote="SavageSun Willys":eek:8ngysl5]
BradW said:

Let us know... ;)

Let me see if I'm following this, the wag tank is 21 gals and need the pick up moved to use all 21 gals?[/quote:eek:8ngysl5]
I cannot honestly say that...but all the Jeep YJ and TJ tanks were big tanks with a short pickup and for an extra $$ you got a longer pick up to access the fuel. How prevalent this was across the Jeep line I do not know. But it bears some investigation on the size of your tank (physically).

This SEEMS to be common when larger tanks were an option $. But NOT always. In the case of the tank on the Chevy blazer there were in fact 2 tanks. Both tanks had the same L x W but the H was different. 11" H got you a 25 gal tank and 15" H got you a 31 gal tank. So its not universal, but worth a check on you tank at least...

BradW said:

Who made the tank?

BradW said:

Was this an 18 gal tank for a wagon or CJ/TJ?

Back