A 1946 CJ2A has arrived in VintageDonVille!!

Well, @Willys Overland aside from your linguistic skills - I was really hoping you might have further insights into this non-ribbed cylinder head. Like what it might be from....

I messed around with it a while today, cleaning it up. At this point in the game, that's all I'm going to do with it - no visit to the Machine Shop, at least for now. Until the mission comes into focus more.

Resized_20210227_163452.jpeg

It's clear that what I mistook originally on the casting date for a "1" at the end is not really anything - it's just a divot after the "10-10" date, with no year indicated.

20210227_164143.jpg

But it all cleaned up pretty good.

Resized_20210227_163416.jpeg

I had bought a radiator from @shade and taken it to the radiator shop recently. There was a tag on it that it had been previously re-cored at some point in the past.

Screenshot_20210225-094808_Chrome.jpg

Got lucky with that, and the shop got it back into shape without needing to do that job again. It's flowing fine, leaks fixed, etc. And I spent a little time making it purdy. Got new hoses etc waiting for it to go back in.

Resized_20210227_164717.jpeg

Still body-working the shroud extension, though!

20210210_153147.jpg

Getting there. Haha. At least it's almost round again, but obviously a ways to go yet.

20210223_165233.jpg

Pulled the manifolds as mentioned previously, to be able to get the remnants of the old exhaust off. So after fighting the broken studs (only two, but pretty stubborn), I took the exhaust manifold and got it coated with some kind of super-duper ceramic stuff. And I sandblasted the intake side at home here. And got the heat riser freed up and working. So those are ready to go on. I'll paint the intake first of course.

Resized_20210227_164657.jpeg

And the manifolds will need pipes, got all that now.

20210221_210734.jpg

I popped for the reproduction original style clamps and hangers with it.

And a few hundred bucks into various things that will be needed - to make it 6 Volts and all "right" again. Cables, hoses, plugs and wires, and lots more.

Resized_20210227_165939.jpeg

Lots of time spent chasing down the "unobtainium" side shift components, still. Finally scored the linkages from the bottom of the column ears that go back to the transmission; and a floor cover plate with the little 'bump' for clearance for the transmission breather. (This was early T-90 days, before the trans and transfer case shared gear oil - Phil would approve! haha).

Those parts came in pretty rough, they had been out in the weather for a few decades.

Resized_20210226_135331.jpeg

But they cleaned up fine, after just the first efforts at that.

Resized_20210226_183853.jpeg

So maybe all this help explains why it's going kinda slow on rebuilding that other transfer case......

Last edited:
But it doesn't have the RIBS. It's a 640161, but no ribs. It has more in common with the "Late MB" just above that, but not that casting number..... (I didn't realize the late MB's said "Jeep" on them.)

Fascinating. And the oil filter lid says -

Resized_20210227_154936(1).jpeg

Looking good! I especially like that exhaust manifold. I’m curious as to how it will hold up. But it sure looks good now.

Don, I haven't given up researching your non-ribbed 640161 head. the 640161 was the number form the raw casting, then carried over to the 1st generation 640161 with ribs, then the 640161 was actually made from an 800376 casting.

It's going to take me a while to pin down the details. You'll notice that the machining for the raw head is a 13 page process.
I'll update you as I continue to research this.

1614475218986.png

1614475704183.png

Don, I haven't given up researching your non-ribbed 640161 head. the 640161 was the number from the raw casting, then carried over to the 1st generation 640161 with ribs, then the 640161 was actually made from an 800376 casting.

Roger that. I got the impression that these write-ups you have posted above are from slightly later, given seeing this designation - 20210228_082144.jpg

But on to the ribs....

@bigbendhiker I have used this outfit in Cleveland for the last 4 exhaust manifolds I've done. I'm not exactly sure what they even do --- their (confusing) description is that it's "somewhere between painting and powder-coating" and has a "significant ceramic content." All I know is it has stood up quite well for me, although not cheap. That's what I did with that '56 Chevy wagon you always see in the background when I built that engine in 2016. And although that's only 5 years ago, we've put about 7 or 8,000 miles on that car and the manifolds are still perfect. I also like that they look very much like cast iron.

20170409_133041.jpg

That's also what's on Willa Dean, the '48 pickup. In the Good Old Days, you could spray stuff on them at home, and then bake it in the oven etc and it lasted pretty good. But of course nowadays those products are no longer available...

@shade - you bet, I love a good challenge! I'll get that shroud looking new. They're always mangled, it seems like - I'm just happy to GET one, they're usually long gone.

Plastic wrapped "drop cloth" on the engine stand....

White shop cabinets....

Dremmel and lacquer thinner on gears and small parts....

Scrubbing the shop sink.....

More cleaning products in the background than lubricants....

Lubricants on an organized rack.....

Room in the shop for all the projects to be positioned with excess space and neatness....

Disposable floor matt by the work bench...

Shop windows that are not opaque due to "shop work"....

I'm seeing a "situation" developing here.

Plastic wrapped "drop cloth" on the engine stand....

White shop cabinets....

Dremmel and lacquer thinner on gears and small parts....

Scrubbing the shop sink.....

More cleaning products in the background than lubricants....

Lubricants on an organized rack.....

Room in the shop for all the projects to be positioned with excess space and neatness....

Disposable floor matt by the work bench...

Shop windows that are not opaque due to "shop work"....

I'm seeing a "situation" developing here.
The term "Mad Scientist" as applied to my Old Buddy would not be a misnomer. Damn near clean enough to build the Perseverance Rover in there. I reckon Don's Garage is more spic & span than my kitchen.

HAHAHAHAHA! I got nothing....

What a great series of posts here! This just proves that buying this little old CJ was the right move.

For the record, though - to respond to some of the original wild and unfounded accusations leveled by @JABJEEP - the "organized lubricants" there are just a static display. (They don't sell cans of oil any more.) Those have since been displaced by the arrival of 'The Face,' the FC which has taken over that back wall.

And those are NOT "white shop cabinets." That would be silly. They are light gray.......

HAHAHAHAHA! I got nothing....

What a great series of posts here! This just proves that buying this little old CJ was the right move.

For the record, though - to respond to some of the original wild and unfounded accusations leveled by @JABJEEP - the "organized lubricants" there are just a static display. (They don't sell cans of oil any more.) Those have since been displaced by the arrival of 'The Face,' the FC which has taken over that back wall.

And those are NOT "white shop cabinets." That would be silly. They are light gray.......
Ask him about his pee cup...

Back