Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1953
  2. 1956
  3. 1961
Hi all,
I have a 1956 pickup V8 swapped with the stock front axle and the timken rear.
The problem is the hubs are 8 lug not 5, all the disk conversions online are for 5, does anyone know of a kit or a disk that would fit with the kits on kaiser willys.
Or would I have better luck getting new f250 parts and custom fabricating my own mounts for the calipers.

Hi all,
I have a 1956 pickup V8 swapped with the stock front axle and the timken rear.
The problem is the hubs are 8 lug not 5, all the disk conversions online are for 5, does anyone know of a kit or a disk that would fit with the kits on kaiser willys.
Or would I have better luck getting new f250 parts and custom fabricating my own mounts for the calipers.
As @KLankford wrote, someone already swapped 8 lug drums onto your stock axles. I would be interested to know how that was done.
I think for your disc brake conversion, it would be beneficial to know which truck manufacturer's drums are currently on your truck. If Ford, then go F250 like @cptlogger wrote.

Buuut, 8 lug was usually on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Anything from the 60's onward would have ginormous drum brakes. Have you considered rebuilding those drum brakes?

As @KLankford wrote, someone already swapped 8 lug drums onto your stock axles. I would be interested to know how that was done.
I think for your disc brake conversion, it would be beneficial to know which truck manufacturer's drums are currently on your truck. If Ford, then go F250 like @cptlogger wrote.

Buuut, 8 lug was usually on 3/4 and 1 ton trucks. Anything from the 60's onward would have ginormous drum brakes. Have you considered rebuilding those drum brakes?

I'd like to see that one also. Are there any pics available?

I have rebuilt the drum brakes but I could never get them to work just right, I figured when they need to be replaced again I'm just swapping to disc because it's easier and will actually stop the truck.
The rear has 11in drums I used Ford parts to rebuild as they looked like the best fit and I thought the rear axle was a Ford clamshell.

I'm probably going to use newer truck parts, I just used f250 as an example because I use those parts to replace old broken ones on other projects

I don’t believe any 8 home patterns were on the pickups (prior to the old j series truck).
You're right I have no idea when or how they were modified to be 8 lug, it's a 56 truck and the earliest pictures I have are in the early 60s with the 8 lug hubs.

That rear axle looks like some kind of full floater set up. Neither the front or the rear wheels seem to be a snug fit on the hub. It may be the camera angle. If the wheels are not snug on the hub that puts extra stress on the wheel studs. I hope it ain't so.

Good luck with you're project.

Back