Sep 14, 2021
North Alabama
First Name
Spence
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I located a 76’ six spline T18 which according to Novak should fit my 61’ CJ5, correct?
Is it a direct bolt in replacement of my T90?

Just to clarify, do you mean a 4 speed Borg-Warner T18 transmission? If so, I believe it's a close ratio trans (no granny 1st) and it will fit with adapter plates at each end. It's essentially a newer version of the old T98. I think it bolts right up to Ford bell housings and maybe some AMC, but input shaft stick-out length is a factor too. @Digger would know all of this for sure.

Just to clarify, do you mean a 4 speed Borg-Warner T18 transmission? If so, I believe it's a close ratio trans (no granny 1st) and it will fit with adapter plates at each end. It's essentially a newer version of the old T98. I think it bolts right up to Ford bell housings and maybe some AMC, but input shaft stick-out length is a factor too. @Digger would know all of this for sure.
Yes T18 4 speed. From Novak “The T18 is a top loaded, top shifting truck style transmission. The Ford and some Jeep T18s have a very low compound gear at 6.32:1 and as such it is a popular choice for those wanting a very low crawling gear. T19 versions offer a 6.32:1 (IH), 5:1 or 4:1 (Ford) low gear.”

but I also see it’s recommended to change engine mount about an inch to the left/drivers. More than I’d want to get involved in and would stick with my OD plan to my T90

Is it a direct bolt in replacement of my T90?
Its definitely not a bolt up....as its from a 76 cj, it should have the appropriate 7/8" thick adapter on the back with Texas pattern to mount to D18/D20....but that would be a large hole D18/D20 - guessing you have a small hole D18 mated to the T90, so you might need a reduction ring? An OD will still work with the unit just the same as with the T90. But, the front will not bolt up to a willys 4cyl bellhousing without an adapter - early jeep T18s used an odd-looking, asymetrical bolt mount pattern on the front, and the later jeep T18s used the ford butterfly pattern. In some cases - and I don't know about the willys 4cyl bellhousing - such as with a chevy or BOP bellhousing, you can pretty easily drill and tap unused tabs on the bellhousing to mount directly without an adapter. Finally, after completing the swap, you will have significant floorpan cover work to do, and cross-member mount will have to be modified, and if you don't move the engine forward, you may have to shorten the rear driveshaft and get a longer front. Having only worked with v6-225s - I am currently putting together a jeep cj T18 (4:1) to swap into my cj5 in place of the T14 - I don't know the details as well for the 4cyl aspect, but most on ecj5 suggest its not as easy on the 4cyl as it is for the v6. Maybe keep your eye out for a jeep cj t98...and even then it won't be trivial given the difference in length and floorpan etc.

Back