Sep 23, 2009
NC Coast
First Name
Tom
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Was interested in what kind of glass you have replaced your rear window with and where you got it.

Right now mine has a pc of plexiglass in it. Here in NC you can have tinted windows so when I replace I was interested in smoked glass, or I can go clear and have it tinted. Thought I would see what everyone else has done. ...

Can I just get a pc cut at a glass company or is this something I am going to have to hunt down and order?

thanks,

Tom

here is what it looks like now.....

[galleryimage:36ce4s71]554[/galleryimage:36ce4s71]

Tom,
You can have a piece cut at a very reasonable price. I consider $30 or less reasonable. Some folks like to make sure it's tempered glass, so that if somebody breaks it you will not have shards of glass that will cut. Windshield glass is too thick to fit back there.
Steve

The folks at Safelite Auto Glass a nation wide company do mine for FREE :eek: :eek: All the glass in these wagons is flat and they had several sheets of clear flat safety glass in the shop which they don't use very often. Since I am not on any 'got to have it now' thing they just bring us a template and we will cut it out for you no cost. They have made my windshield, the 2 swing out vent windows and a couple of other pieces for me. I figure on having it tinted later on.

Clear flat safety glass is very inexpensive and requires very little work as compared to the complex glass shapes in today's modern cars. In talking to some other guys that have had all the glass replaced at various places most have paid $200 - $350...

Thanks for the info. I haven't inspected it too closely yet, but at a glance it looked like there was a row of phillips screws that held the rear window frame to the hinge. Is that correct? Would be nice to be able to just take it off, and bring the whole thing with me somewhere to replace it. Hopefully I won't destroy the gasket if I try to get it out. Gasket isn't great but it looks like it's still in decent shape and would last me a good while longer....

Tom,
Look closely at that gasket. You'll see that there is a seam line around the middle of it (same as the one piece windshield gaskets) If you use one of those plastic orange peelers or stiff plastic putty knife you can insert it in there and flip the lip of the gasket out and go all the way around. The glass (plexi) will come out easily.
Steve

SavageSun Willys said:
I gave up on trying to save my gaskets. They were all OEM and as brittle as week old bread.
Do you have a favorite source for gaskets?

Jeep School said:
SavageSun Willys":st2cncl1]I gave up on trying to save my gaskets. They were all OEM and as brittle as week old bread.[/quote] Do you have a favorite source for gaskets?[/quote:st2cncl1] These folks have a GREAT well illustrated catalog and parts in stock: Michael Meditz <mike@kaiserwillys.com> Kaiser Willys Auto Supply 114 Bolton Ct Aiken SC 29803 Toll free: 888-648-4923 Fax: 803-642-4197 [url="http://www.KaiserWillys.com said:
http://www.KaiserWillys.com[/url]
M-F 9-5 Est.

and

Jay Margolies, President Willys-Overland Motors Toledo, Ohio
Parts / Accessories / Service / Installation and more
Toll free 888-265-JEEP(5337) Local 419-531-0707 Fax 419-531-4747
http://www.willysoverland.com mailto:info@willysoverland.com

Jay sent me this and I understand it is a COMPLETE set for a wagon:

Weatherstrip and Channels for Station Wagons
Part #, Description, # Needed, Price
5454164 Door window channel (vertical), 2 @ $35.14 each
664203 Windshield channel, (split style), 1 @ $98.50 each
954177 Windshield channel, (1 pc. glass), 1 @ $115.00 each
666446 Cowl seal, 1 @ $16.50 each
667086 Division bar seal, wing window, 2 @ $32.50 each
667296 Door window channel, (front), 2 @ $26.55 each
668355K Vent wing window seal, 1 pr. @ $67.60 pair
668803 Door window wiper (felt), left, 2 @ $23.75 each
668804 Door window wiper (felt), right, 2 @ $23.75 each
669210 Grille seal, 1 @ $13.50 each
671425 Sliding window felt (between glass), 2 @ $18.95 each
675289 Door weatherstripping, 2 @ $37.25 each
664257 Rear 1/4 window channel, 2 @ $34.20 each
667067 Fuel filler grommet (bib style), 1 @ $12.20 each
669260K Tailgate seal kit (2 piece window), 1 set @ $24.95 set
953605 Tailgate seal kit (1 piece window), 1 @ $26.75 each
670684 Tailgate window channel (2 piece), 2 @ $34.95 each
671419 Sliding window glass weatherstrip, 2 @ $34.95 each
671905 Sliding window glass channel (felt), 2 @ $38.50 each

Has anybody done glass for a willys wagon. I found Kaiser Willys has a complete glass kit for 850.00. I havent found any local glass companys any cheaper than that. Has anybody found a better price for windows. Thanks

Resurrecting an old thread........

Long story short....was having work done on the wagon, they were going to replace my rear window too but cut it wrong and had already trashed/broken the old one. ( It was just a piece of plexiglass anyway) So now I need a rear window and don't know the size. Would like to get it cut local since the replacement cost I saw online was pretty high. Anyone happen to know the dimensions on a rear window for a 63 wagon or a good place to get one?

thanks.

Wow, I can't believe it has been this long and my wagon is still sitting in the garage. Good news is it is running again and in looking better too. I still have not replaced my rear window. Was searching the forum for info and found my old thread. Since it has been so long I thought I would bump it and see if anyone has any new info.

I need the one piece rear window glass for a 63 wagon and a gasket. Suggestions?
Thanks.

Congrats on getting your wagon running!:cheers:

Willys America in CA or Kaiser-Willys in SC should have the gasket. Their customer support should know the dimensions of the rear glass too.

Thanks Scramboleer. I'll check there. Is the single window rear hatch flat glass? My sister in law works for a glass company here in town....would be awesome if They were able to cut me one.

You have a Scrambler and a wagon? That is great! I picked up a scrambler this past year as well. You can never have enough jeeps........

Thanks Scramboleer. I'll check there. Is the single window rear hatch flat glass? My sister in law works for a glass company here in town....would be awesome if They were able to cut me one.

You have a Scrambler and a wagon? That is great! I picked up a scrambler this past year as well. You can never have enough jeeps........

Yeah, I have an '82 Scrambler that I bought in '97. As a kid I loved Jeeps, especially Scramblers. I used to ride my bike down to this used car dealer in town that had a tan one sitting in the back... would stare and drool. In any case, it now has a NV4500 and fuel-injected Ram Jet 350 to replace the grenaded Peugot tranny and 258. I am trying to restore my '64 Wagon (Traveller) to stock. And since you can never have enough Jeeps, I am already dreaming on my next one: an abused Willys truck salad that ends up with a cab extension and modern running gear.

Back