Nov 27, 2009
Colorado Springs, CO
First Name
Eric
Willys Model
  1. Other
Willys Year:
  1. Other
Got some time this weekend and was able to cut some nasty brackets off the rear 2x2 crossmember added to my frame.
Figured any welding needed to be started somewhere important but not as important as the engine mounts so this is where we started.

[attachment=2:2fu4v0zj]IMG_3812(2).JPG[/attachment:2fu4v0zj]

Yup that is my lanky arse welding in fuel tank mounts for future access and cleaner install without being connected to the body.

[attachment=1:2fu4v0zj]IMG_3817(2).JPG[/attachment:2fu4v0zj]

Got everything cleaned up. put down a coat primer and some paint.

[attachment=0:2fu4v0zj]IMG_3828(2).JPG[/attachment:2fu4v0zj]

Spent today in a balmy 40 degrees with the powerwasher and degreaser on the engine and transmission...... Gotta yank those out next.

Taking ideas for drive line paint colors.
Body is gonna be Red and Gray when the time finally comes....

We used cardboard and scissors for making templates on the fuel tank brackets. allowing it to be completely off the body and give ease of work later.

Attachments

• IMG_3812(2).JPG
    IMG_3812(2).JPG
    122.7 KB · Views: 1,154
  • IMG_3817(2).JPG
    IMG_3817(2).JPG
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,131
  • IMG_3828(2).JPG
    IMG_3828(2).JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 1,129
I have found that if you hook up your pressure washer to hot water, it is twice as effective.

Was wondering what welder you are using in the photo. Doesn't look like an arc from a stick welder. More like a TIG welder, but didn't see one in picture. Progress is looking good!

Didn't want to piss the wife off with the hot water heater being drained so just used the cold. We were using a Hobart 125 with a gas conversion. When the tool is being borrowed from work you can make do with what ya got. It did the job without any issues though.

Color of transfer case - Chevy Engine Orange, Transmission - Safety Yellow, Drive Shaft - Bright Blue, Axles - Safety Red...a Rainbow of colors.....It seems there are a bunch of Colorado projects here...I like it ! But I stole one out of the state, but we can call it a Colorado vehicle. You asked about taking my body off....not now, it can be done later if I feel like it...I'm trying to just get a safe, dependable vehicle on the road for May travels...money, wife, time and health has a way of deciding the priorities however...keep posting lots of those pictures!

WOW, NV 4500, now that is some STOUT trans. Its also heavy over most sticks by about 100 lbs, but near bulletproof behind some serious engines. Dana 300 is a good call...

Like your pix keep them coming.

Don't pay no attention to Kevin and his "RAINBLOW" color scheme he a good guy in spite of his RAINBLOW leanings... :lol: :D :eek: He only paints his stuff up like that for some parade he is in :p Heck, you should see his LEATHER fan belts... :shock:

Kevin,
Your "rainbow" of colors would make my stomach turn everytime I got under it to do anything. Thanks for the input though. :?

The NV4500 was in it with the 351W. I know it's a heavy transmission but having a 5 speed should help slow down how fast the 15 gallons of fuel gets sucked out of the 351.... Probably wishful thinking though. :roll:

I just got my replacement transmission crossmember in today and wanting to see how it's gonna mock up and work on that project before pulling the driveline out completely.

LOL...Now That's FUNNY...
[attachment=0:1pqmcjsl]Engine Mount 019.jpg[/attachment:1pqmcjsl]
Here is a sneak preview....and my transfer case is orange...you Savage

Attachments

• Engine Mount 019.jpg
    Engine Mount 019.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,046
  • Engine Mount 019.jpg
    Engine Mount 019.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 1,033
Kevin what happened there?

Didn't get the COLOR stuff you had going on there....

I might make something bright yellow for ya not sure what yet but will make sure to take picture for you.

truthfully I am surprised you didn't do a rainbow on your engine with some components.... :p

LOL.....I'm not finished yet, I can send you some cans of paint, what's your ship to?

My Dana 300 "Twin Stick" is Bright Chevrolet Orange, what color is yours???? If I make Moab this year, I'll provide Barf Bags for those who crawl under my Willys....

62 OlllO said:
.... I'll provide Barf Bags for those who crawl under my Willys....

And I thought this was a family site :eek: :eek: :eek:

My 300 is still a plain jane black for the time being.....

We'll see what color it ends up though.......

It sounds as if you like my idea of a "splash" of color here and there...I'll wait a see what you come up with. Oh by the way I like Skittles! and if I can make it to Moab, I'm stopping in to see ya first!

That works for me if you wanna stop by.
I get the chairs out, light up the BBQ and get some adult beverages on ice.

So is "Skittles" gonna stick????

Nice.
I still like "Skittles"
that is what it's gonna look like especially if he does panels in all the colors too.....

The garage, chairs, BBQ, and adult beverages are always available for any one crossing thru Colorado.....

Price of admission is owning a Willy's.... Or on your way to pick one up...

I am in Denver with a 52 wagon project. Id luv to treck down and see your project first hand. Your pic,s are afar off and show little detail. 720-366-7685

Some pics from the Saturday afternoon progress....

Had to finish all the house chores first...

[attachment=1:22yjnu27]IMG_3865(2).JPG[/attachment:22yjnu27]

[attachment=0:22yjnu27]IMG_3871(2).JPG[/attachment:22yjnu27]

Attachments

• IMG_3865(2).JPG
    IMG_3865(2).JPG
    139.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_3871(2).JPG
    IMG_3871(2).JPG
    145 KB · Views: 48
Back