Dec 7, 2013
Albuquerque
First Name
WW
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
1960 Willys pickup with original leaf springs.
In order to get, say, a 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 inch lift, where to get the leaf springs?
I don't want to mount axles under the leafs (too much lift). And I would want to go with new leafs, rather than shackles.
It would be nice to have them with several leafs, rather than just a few, so the ride is not too stiff/bouncy.
So who makes these now days? (I have heard that Rancho quit making for the Willys some years back, true?)

You can get stock springs from Walck's, that's where I got the sets for my truck:

000_0005.jpg

Basically stock ride height. Think there's around 10 leafs per spring pack - doesn't mean it's not a stiff ride though...

Atlas and Deaver will make any springs you want and make the best springs there are . They will probably be expensive compared to Rancho and etc. They can make a double or triple military wrap , multiple leaf pack really nice spring pack for your ride . Deaver will answer any questions you may have and are very helpful . I am not very familiar with Atlas . Good luck and keep us informed with what you do .

If that's all the lift you want , just keep your springs and use 2" or 3" lift blocks. Make sure you weld them to the spring pad. Mine slipped on me , luckily at 35 mph. After I welded them , they never slipped again. Put some coil-over shocks or air shocks in the rear.

I also got replacement springs from Walcks. You may want to also consider doing the fronts in that there likely just as shot. Plus you will maintain the correct levelness with the truck.

Last edited:
Arlen, the orig spring setup is spring under axle so lift blocks won't work and if you switch it to spring over with the orig springs it will net probably 6" of lift. Really no choice but to use new springs.

If I follow you, blocks wouldn't work, since the axle is over the spring. And I didn't want to go with axles under spring--to much lift.

I think that is right. It probably needs to be new springs if I want the lift, and I don not want to go with shackles at this point.

From looking at old pics of these pickups, It seems to me that they were all sitting lower than Mathman's (which is beautiful), unless they all had tall tires that came closer to the fenders. It has been my experience over many years in the auto business that essentially all replacement springs sit taller than original new springs, and reading comments about Eaton springs which many people use, they too are usually tall. When/if I go with new springs, against most advice I will be using 2" lowering blocks to make it fit my vision of correct height. No matter what I do I am not worried that it will corner nicely!

Mathman, I just saw the 1957 pic of your truck. It looks like it was lower then- the top of the front bumper is even with the top of the rims, and maybe 2" above on the current picture. I have pretty much proven my point, as least to myself!

The original springs (at least on the front) flattened out pretty quick. The new springs, which I got from Walck around 1999, do sit a little higher but they are sold as 'stock height'. As my dad described it, it rides like a billy goat.... ;)

Another possible thought is to take your springs to a leaf spring shop and see if it is possible to re-arch them to get the lift you want, it probably isn't cost effective but if you want orig springs with a lift this would be one way to do it. :cool:

Last edited:
You send me a set of factory front springs in good shape, and I'll send you my Ranchos.

Back