Nov 24, 2009
Conifer, Colorado
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1957
I decided to add my 57 Willys Pickup/Chevy Chassis Conversion Build Log to this forum. However, I
already had an established Build Log at the cardomain.com site and didn't want to duplicate the work.
So instead, I will add a link to the Build Log there on here. I hope that works for everyone. Here is
the link to my Build Log: Enjoy!
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805815/1 ... lys-pickup

Here are a couple of pictures of the Willys when I first bought him, and about 22 days into the project.

57 Willys PU 2 1541.jpg Floyd 62  Hedman Headers Installed  009.jpg

Last edited:
Checked out your build there and great detail. Not on there very much so is there anyway of getting notified on Cardomain of updates that you do?

Hi Marcus. Thanks for checking out my Build Log at cardomain. I don't know of any notifications that cardomain would do. But I normally update my Build Log weekly on there.

Wednesday, Jan 12, 2011 Day 27 1/2: Today it was the Quality Control Guy checking out my "finished" front fenders (Me). Man, that guy is a real hard ass. The "finished" front fenders are FAR FROM FINISHED! So back at it. More Sanding. I'm thinking that maybe one more time around the block with them and they may be deemed to be about as good as I can get them. One of the fenders looks like it took a pretty good hit in it's youth. I can only get them back to as good as I can... They probably won't be perfect. Excuses, excuses... Sometimes I feel like I'm just flogging myself trying to get them perfect. Check it out and let me know if I should keep on sanding or after one more time, calling it good to go.

Pivnic said:
Wednesday, Jan 12, 2011 Day 27 1/2: Today it was the Quality Control Guy checking out my "finished" front fenders (Me). Man, that guy is a real hard ass. The "finished" front fenders are FAR FROM FINISHED! So back at it. More Sanding. I'm thinking that maybe one more time around the block with them and they may be deemed to be about as good as I can get them. One of the fenders looks like it took a pretty good hit in it's youth. I can only get them back to as good as I can... They probably won't be perfect. Excuses, excuses... Sometimes I feel like I'm just flogging myself trying to get them perfect. Check it out and let me know if I should keep on sanding or after one more time, calling it good to go.

I like you have been struggling when to be done. Good thing I don’t run a body shop I would starve. I have at least 40 hours in these and that may be conservative on the guess.

Stripped
5355208507_8e58d96650.jpg

I have the holes welded shut, the stress cracks welded and filled and primed. Add some poly primer on and I thought it looked pretty good.
5355823964_8d117c6c9c.jpg

Thought I’d see how good and added a guide coat and blocked sanded.
5355209059_0599002510.jpg

Not as good as I thought, more filler, primer, etc.
5355209449_4ee7497f06.jpg

Repeat
5355824938_3220faf97a.jpg

5355825270_0c4231d50d.jpg

Here is where I’m at about an hour ago. I still see a few spots that need some work. I can’t decide when it is good enough.
5355826182_15e270b98a.jpg

PhxJim said:
Pivnic said:

I like you have been struggling when to be done. Good thing I don’t run a body shop I would starve. I have at least 40 hours in these and that may be conservative on the guess.

Stripped

I have the holes welded shut, the stress cracks welded and filled and primed. Add some poly primer on and I thought it looked pretty good.

Repeat

Here is where I’m at about an hour ago. I still see a few spots that need some work. I can’t decide when it is good enough.

Hi Jim. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this "problem". One of my problem areas is at the bottom part of the fender where the fender is rounded from the top to the side. It got hit there and that rounded edge was flattened. I'm having trouble re-establishing that rounded edge. I will try a couple "things" tomorrow. Good Luck with your fenders. Hey, Do you want to TRADE fenders? Hahaha! Your fenders are looking pretty GOOD!

Pivnic said:
PhxJim said:
Pivnic said:

Stripped

Repeat

Hi Jim. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this "problem". One of my problem areas is at the bottom part of the fender where the fender is rounded from the top to the side. It got hit there and that rounded edge was flattened. I'm having trouble re-establishing that rounded edge. I will try a couple "things" tomorrow. Good Luck with your fenders. Hey, Do you want to TRADE fenders? Hahaha! Your fenders are looking pretty GOOD!

Mine were bashed pretty good on the bottom. I think one of the fenders dropped on a boulder going over a road.

The running board seamed to be a bowl shape on the top.

Hi Jim. Today I got one of my front fenders "Done" (I think)... After several more hours on it, it now looks pretty good. Who knows what it will look like the next time I really look at it again. The other fender has another skim coat on it and is ready to be sanded out. Hopefully it will be "Done" also after a few more hours on it.

Your fender is looking pretty good too! I think that we are both very close to having them pass the test! Good luck with the rest of your project! Keep posting your progress. Later, John

Pivnic said:
Hi Jim. Today I got one of my front fenders "Done" (I think)... After several more hours on it, it now looks pretty good. Who knows what it will look like the next time I really look at it again. The other fender has another skim coat on it and is ready to be sanded out. Hopefully it will be "Done" also after a few more hours on it.

Your fender is looking pretty good too! I think that we are both very close to having them pass the test! Good luck with the rest of your project! Keep posting your progress. Later, John

I'm close too. I thought I was done but after I sprayed the primer I found a couple rough spots. They may go away when I fine sand it. We will see. I think I will do the grill next.

Pivnic said:
Hi Jim. Today I got the grill sanded and primered. I bolted the front clip back together temporarily. Check it out and let me know if it "passes". How's your front clip coming along?
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805815/1 ... up/page-16

I got the front stripped but not the back. I borrowed my buddys sandblaster but I had to order a new tip so no primer yet. On hold for the new part. I did weld some stress cracks.
IMG_2313.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

shapeimage_2.png

shapeimage_3.png

Can a guy say "Damn that's nice" here...your frame work and finished product is sickly, a friggen Monster! You guys saving these pick'em up trucks get to cheat...compared to us wagon savers...you only have half of the body.
Plus you have this huge building, heated, to work in....damn that's nice and I believe based your pictures....this ain't your first rodeo. I just got my wagon inside for the final build before Moab. I got a ways however to catch up to your progress. Thank's for the updates and pictures....I love those's pic's

Thanks guys. Hey Kevin, I also have a 63 Wagon that I'm still working on. I know what you mean exactly about the "cheating" part... After doing the interior of my Wagon, I was very excited when I saw how small the pickup cab was! I said to myself, geez, I'll have the interior done on this truck in about two weeks! I'm getting ready to go to the work space and weld up some access holes we had to make and get the interior ready to paint.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3297626/1963-willys-wagon
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3870188/1 ... ter-deluxe

splinterguy said:
John your truck is looking great. Makes me want to get going on mine. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Splinterguy! I think that we will get Floyd running next month. Still lots to do. Get going on yours man! It looks like it's a good one to SAVE! Good luck!

The Project is in it's final assembly phase. I will Drive Floyd in this "Patina" for about a year, then I'll resume the body work. The wiring is about 75% complete. We worked three full days on the project this week. We expect that Floyd will be ready to Start Up this month! Check out page 19 & 20 for the latest progress on the Build Log. Enjoy.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3805815/1 ... up/page-19

Back