First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1955
A question for the wagon guys: Has anyone laid a body on its side to work on the bottom?

Pkpons

Last edited by a moderator:

cj847

Sharpest Tool
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
First Name
Gary
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
I haven't, but I wouldn't just lay it on it's side. The body is slightly barrel shaped. I would guess you could lay it on a couple of 4x8 or 4x10 beams and it may work.

Fred46

Gear Grinder
Oct 5, 2020
Alliance, OH
First Name
Fred
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. Jeepster
  3. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1946
  2. 1950
  3. 1955
You could check around for a used body “rotisserie” to buy or borrow or rent. That would better support it and prevent any unwanted flexing or collapse. Then you could rotate as needed and roll around.

RandyP

Sharpest Tool
Aug 30, 2016
Central Texas
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
A question for the wagon guys. Has anyone laid a body on its side to work on the bottom.

Pkpons
Look at Agar Agar's post- (50 Wagon S 10 chassis) under the Build section. I think he did lay his wagon body over on its side to access the bottom.

Randy

PKPons

Bigger Hammer
Oct 17, 2017
Olmsted Falls,ohio
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1955
Thanks to all that replied. Looking at Agar's post, it appears to be possible to lay it on its side

Pkpons

Fireman

Bigger Hammer
Jan 19, 2019
Newberg, OR
First Name
Robert
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I laid one on its side in heavy grass and soft dirt to do extensive repairs. If it was a hard surface then I agree with Phil that you could damage the sides easily. If you don't have a lot of body repair experience the rotisserie/build a wood frame is good advice.

A very big caution though, is that if all the supports, floors and side rails are removed or repaired while in this position you could lose the shape of the structure easily. I would recommend this technique only if you tack weld angle iron cross bracing extensively and know what you are doing from bodywork experience. If it was a simple floor pan replace then no problem but my 2 cents is that its like peeling an onion under there...you keep finding layers to fix and shed many tears. It almost always is worse than it looks from the start.

RandyP

Sharpest Tool
Aug 30, 2016
Central Texas
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
If you lay it over on one side you will have to flip it back again to work on the other side, several times. While on its side it won't be easy to work on either the side that's up or the side that is down.
I built a rotisserie for my wagon and used it for both the frame repair and the body. It made working on it much easier due to having it at a good working height.

Randy

PKPons

Bigger Hammer
Oct 17, 2017
Olmsted Falls,ohio
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
  2. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1948
  2. 1955
If you lay it over on one side you will have to flip it back again to work on the other side, several times. While on its side it won't be easy to work on either the side that's up or the side that is down.
I built a rotisserie for my wagon and used it for both the frame repair and the body. It made working on it much easier due to having it at a good working height.

Randy
Randy,

Would love to see a pic of the rotisserie you built

Pkpons

RandyP

Sharpest Tool
Aug 30, 2016
Central Texas
First Name
Randy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1950
I have tried to post some pictures a couple of times but the system wouldn't let me for some reason??
If you go to my build thread (Randy's 1950 Wagon Project) starting at post #30, there are some pictures of the rotisserie.

Randy