53 Willys Wagon chop top build

Dratwagon.

Bigger Hammer
Jul 5, 2010
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Ya ya I know, another Willys Wagon build, bla, bla, bla.

A few of you will remember it and some will never forget it. :thumbup:

It all started here at the wrecking yard, $100 and its mine. :p

Picture001-1.jpg

Found and old truck for the doors, can you say free. ;)

Picture137.jpg

I was given this for the frame. It to was free. ;)

Picture023-1.jpg

Now is when I had to spend some money, I now have some axles. $800. for each truck.

Picture154-1.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Oh ya, I sold one set of axles, the utility box and the scrap for $1600. :eek: do you hate me yet.

Mixed it all together and after a lot of cutting and welding.

I still have a lot more to do and little time to do it.

Wait for it,

wait for it.

:cheers:

008-1.jpg

014.jpg

Re: 53 Willys Wagon build

Hey, I was wondering if you were gonna find this place, it's a small internet if your buildin a Willys.......diggin your wagon. :cheers:

Why does it look like you cut across the top of the roof?

cnsay said:
Why does it look like you cut across the top of the roof?

Yes I did have to cut the top, since I choped the top I had to move the roof forward to meet up with the windshield post.

Didn't notice the chop on the pillars. Rear fenders look close to cutting the tires if you flex much, but if the springs are stiff enough there won't be much flex.

Looks like your doing a great job on the wagon.

That chop looks great. I've got a 51 2wd Panel truck that I've toyed with doing that to, but with a panel truck, there is a LOT of cutting and welding to do, so not too sure what I'll do. I had someone do a photoshop chop and not sure if I like it. Comparing it to yours, I think the photoshop had it chopped too much. It also looks like you took more out of the rear, like a wedge chop so the roof line is parallel to the ground. Very nice. Gives it a different feel than I get when looking at mine.
I LOVE yours. Wish it were mine.

cnsay said:
Didn't notice the chop on the pillars. Rear fenders look close to cutting the tires if you flex much, but if the springs are stiff enough there won't be much flex.

Looks like your doing a great job on the wagon.

Thanks.
I still have a lot off cutting left to do once I get the larger tires.

lordy611 said:
That chop looks great. I've got a 51 2wd Panel truck that I've toyed with doing that to, but with a panel truck, there is a LOT of cutting and welding to do, so not too sure what I'll do. I had someone do a photoshop chop and not sure if I like it. Comparing it to yours, I think the photoshop had it chopped too much. It also looks like you took more out of the rear, like a wedge chop so the roof line is parallel to the ground. Very nice. Gives it a different feel than I get when looking at mine.
I LOVE yours. Wish it were mine.

Thanks,I did the math one day and if I was to do the same to a 2wd with air bags it would be less than 48" tall, or would that be 48" short. :D

I choped the top 3" or 4" but not the windshield or the rear door.

Picture430.jpg

Picture409.jpg

I'm now using your photo from driver's side front corner as my 'puter's desktop photo. Good inspiration. :thumbup:
Another thing that I think I am warming up to is something my son suggested, which is to go hoodless and no front fenders. I kinda thought it would lose it's Willys character, but as long as the grille is there, I like it. Yours has that too in the first photo of yours. I see later that you have a hood on it...And is that really a V6 in there? Mine came with a 327, but I have a 350 Buick that I plan to install. The 327 was cooked and now has been parted out to help finance the project.

lordy611 said:
I'm now using your photo from driver's side front corner as my 'puter's desktop photo. Good inspiration. :thumbup:
Another thing that I think I am warming up to is something my son suggested, which is to go hoodless and no front fenders. I kinda thought it would lose it's Willys character, but as long as the grille is there, I like it. Yours has that too in the first photo of yours. I see later that you have a hood on it...And is that really a V6 in there? Mine came with a 327, but I have a 350 Buick that I plan to install. The 327 was cooked and now has been parted out to help finance the project.

Try this one. If I were you I would run the hood but no fenders.

Picture418.jpg

I think I like the flat grill better. What's that from? Mine is the V-front too. I will keep the grill, maybe the hood, but watch your local Craigslist for the fenders....

Dratwagon is awsome and the '53 looks like "one mean mother"....I look forward to your up dates.

lordy611 said:
I think I like the flat grill better. What's that from? Mine is the V-front too. I will keep the grill, maybe the hood, but watch your local Craigslist for the fenders....
Went to a huge truck show and swap meet in Carlisle PA this weekend. Got a flat grill for $20 ! SORRY FOR THE BUTT-TRIFLING CELL PHONE PIC. Also spent my first bling money too. Got a polished ribbed aluminum scoop for my carb, like what you see sitting on a big a$$ blower, only I wont have the blower unless I find one really cheap.

Attachments

• 51 WILLYS FLAT GRILLE.jpg
    51 WILLYS FLAT GRILLE.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 96
  • 51 WILLYS STOCK GRILLEjpg.jpg
    51 WILLYS STOCK GRILLEjpg.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 93

No progress but.

Craigslist comes through again with 5 , 39.5x13.5-17 bias ply Iroks with 20 miles on them, now I need my wheels.

004.jpg

Your project just scream's "I'm mean as hell and I will eat you"....I would love to see it in person. Keep plug'en and posten.

Time to get back to work on this, found a full set of 5, H2 wheels and an LS 5.3 on craigslist.

004-1.jpg

Back