May 1, 2019
Louisville, KY
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
So, this showed up on my doorstep today...
M578 Gunner Seat
May have come out of one of these...
M578 Armored Recovery Vehicle
Piddlin' around with my 3D Model, the seat mounts on a steel track system.
My 3D Model Station Wagon
Much fun ahead for my shop guys.
I found an exploded Isometric parts list for this thing. The seat back rides on a rail system.
I think I can get a piece of tube steel and cut down the middle of one side, drill holes in the flange and voila!
A simple 3d model shows how it works. Spring loaded latch pin handle holds it in place. Floor and side wall mounted.
Seat Rail System 3d model

Last edited:

RedWiggler

Bigger Hammer
May 1, 2019
Louisville, KY
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Slow Ride...Take it Easy.

Cleaned up and de-greased the AMC 360 V8 from the donor '89 Wagoneer. Lots of gunk, crud, acorns.
New plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, dist. cap, rotor, pickup, coil, gaskets.

Spray bombed it VHT Ford Blue and Black. I just like it better than a GM blue.
Not worried about overspray 'cuz I gotta pull the engine and shove it back eventually.
360 V8 Ford Blue Paint Refresh
Replaced nearly all of the vacuum lines and it has a load of 'em.
360 V8 with New Vacuum Lines
360 V8 New Vacuum Lines
All sorted out and at the ready.
AMC Powerplant fin
AMC Powerplant fin

Picked up a set of 35's for my daily Tundra but may decide to put them on the Waggy donor (w/lifted susp.).
Nitto Terra Grapplers 18"
Nitto Terra Grapplers 18"

I ended up putting the 35's on my Tundra w/3in front lift. Love the ride and stance.

Last edited:

AndyL

Bigger Hammer
Jan 24, 2021
New Jersey
First Name
Andy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
How is this project going? I'm at the beginning of a similar endeavor.

51 Wagon, frame off. putting a vortec v6 in it.

RedWiggler

Bigger Hammer
May 1, 2019
Louisville, KY
First Name
Jim
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
How is this project going? I'm at the beginning of a similar endeavor.

51 Wagon, frame off. putting a vortec v6 in it.
I'm nearly finished with parting out the Wagoneer. I am prepping the frame for POR-15 Rust Paint. After that I will redo the entire brake lines, fuel lines. Then on to painting the axles. I intend to fire up the AMC 360 this Spring.

AndyL

Bigger Hammer
Jan 24, 2021
New Jersey
First Name
Andy
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
Very cool. I have my frame painted, I used Eastwoods version of POR-15.
I'm waiting for the weather to break here in NJ to assembly, suspension, and drive train. But it just keeps snowing.
New bushings in all the leaf springs, both axels rebuilt, adding disc brake conversion kits front and back, transmission rebuilt, changed oil seals in transfer case. I'll post a pick when frame and drive train are together.

TurbofireV8

Sharpest Tool
Jun 28, 2013
Port Orange,FL
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
  2. 1952
  3. 1961
Very cool. I have my frame painted, I used Eastwoods version of POR-15.
I'm waiting for the weather to break here in NJ to assembly, suspension, and drive train. But it just keeps snowing.
New bushings in all the leaf springs, both axels rebuilt, adding disc brake conversion kits front and back, transmission rebuilt, changed oil seals in transfer case. I'll post a pick when frame and drive train are together.

I prefer the Eastwood "Rust Encapsulater" to POR-15 as well, Andy. The main reason being that it isn't UV sensitive like POR-15 is, but I also like the semi gloss finish personally when compared to POR-15's almost ultra gloss.