51 pickup from Iowa

Forgot to mention the way I did the tailgate support cables. Not sure these pictures will help explain or not, but forgot to take any when I was actually doing it. So I bought four 11/2” sheaves and installed one in the rectangular tubing, even with the top of the tailgate and one on the frame directly below. I ran the cable around the two sheaves, one end to the tailgate and the other to a rubber bungy cord on the frame, through the rear fender to a attachment point on the frame, behind the rear tire. I finished one side and it worked well, but after doing the other side the two bungy cords together proved to be a little too strong and the tailgate will not stay down when opened. No biggy.FF419A29-3719-4FDF-B090-F4D82B10030E.jpgF8CC2D2F-13AE-458E-B147-7572C661B5E2.jpgCA43BB92-ED00-4247-A8B0-9EDC527FAA93.jpg81C3A69B-E40F-4DC7-A2CD-AAFC760D049A.jpgDCF131DE-514C-4017-81D8-0B0221EEDB62.jpg359A7C35-3DE3-41B7-957C-A73D4F0BE8A8.jpg5EA6579A-B9A5-4696-B705-9E1EB3C10C2A.jpg

Last edited:
Put about 1500 miles on my pickup and runs really well. I do have a small issue. The idle is not right and will die occasionally at a stop light, but will start right back up and be fine for awhile. Decided I’ll change out the idle air control valve and hopefully that will solve the problem. It runs well enough to be my daily driver instead of my trusty Ranger and it seems to be getting better mileage to boot. The last time I had it out I used an eighth of a tank in 65 miles which works out to around twenty mph. Very happy with that if correct.

Last edited:
Are you using any type of speed sensor in your ECM system? Neighbor chased a similar issue on an LS swap recently. He said the reflash did not delete the speed sensor. He is now using a pass through signal generator that goes into the transfer case, then the speedo cable runs out of it. That solved his stalling issue. It was like the injection system wanted to know if it was moving or stopped. He also swapped his pressure regulator.

EFI is great once it's dialed in. Just a few bumps gettin there.

Best of luck.

Duane

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yeah, Duane, I am using a signal generator. Knew I would need that, so I bought it through Jags That Run. After some research on the web the IAC was looking like a suspect. I could tell that it was working, but not sure it was working correctly. The pintle was moving, but looked like it might have been original, so took a 30 mi. bike ride this afternoon and picked up a new one. Did the trick and now idling as it should. This thing was fun to drive even with the annoying idling issue, so with that fixed, will be even more so. Planning on taking it into the west burbs of Chicago, to my daughters sometime soon and feel very confident that the 3 hour trip will be a piece of cake. Assuming I didn't just jinx myself:]

Last edited:
Spoke too soon. Replaced IAC and drove fine for about 60 miles. Stopped for gas and pulled out and stopped at a light and the thing died on me. Same problem. Looking at the distributor next:[

Do you have an OBD reader? If so drive around with it plugged in and try to see if you get a momentary error code when is dies. Whatever number it throws, Google will tell you what it is and how to remedy it.

I chased my tail and pulled out half my hair chasing an intermittent stumble on one of my kids' 4.3 powered Blazer. Finally caught a code on the crank sensor. Replacement made it a little better, shimming it out eventually dialed it in. Hopefully you find your gremlin before you have to become totally proficient with the entire system.

I always say I am no fan of GM over others, I have just been swearing at them and learning them for 40 years. Not going to switch my major at this time in my life. Ha.

Best of luck. You'll get her.

Duane

Thanks, Duane. I don't have the OBD reader you speak of, but might have to look into one. Gremlins and I have a long relationship. I'll get this one sooner or later:]

Tree rats strike again. Jumped I’m my pickup and started her up to go across town and I smell gas. I get to my destination ( about a mile ) and look underneath to find fuel spraying all over, yikes! After the pressure subsided, I took a good look and found knaw marks on the nylon fuel line. Tree rats, otherwise known as squirrels, have caused damage twice before to my Ford Ranger. Luckily, I had enough length to cut out the damaged piece and reinstalled the quick connector to the fuel filter. Have to come up with something to cover the exposed fuel line with something squirrels find less yummy.

Attachments

• CCDF68EE-83A2-4B3C-B4A4-2783448BA56B.jpeg
    CCDF68EE-83A2-4B3C-B4A4-2783448BA56B.jpeg
    494.2 KB · Views: 48
Thought I’d give a quick 3000 mile review of my 1951 pickup, with GM 4x4 drive train, 3.73 gears, and 1992 Pontiac 305 TPI engine. I am more than satisfied with the way it drives and gas mileage is slightly better than my 2004 Ranger and a lot more fun to drive. Driving into Chicago this weekend driving 70-75 mph on interstate, I got just over 20 mpg in a head wind. Now don’t hate me, but I did do a fare amount of drafting behind a few big rigs, but I justified it as being in the name of science:] Anyway on the way back I got 16.7 mpg, again in a headwind, both city and hiway and no drafting. Why is it, that I rarely drive in a tail wind? I figured headwind into Chicago, so tailwind coming home right? But the wind almost always shifts for the drive home and usually not in my favor. Also I thought I would add that mounting the nose in two places on either side of the nose instead of one in the center, as from the factory, has worked well for me. No signs of stress anywhere that I can see and the front end feels rock solid. If you remember, I did completely box the entire frame. Wouldn’t suggest it with unmodified frame. Wind noise is not bad at all and can listen to the radio or carry on a conversation. No AC yet so windows are rolled down all the time. After an hour or so, the heat from the engine bay starts to be felt in the cab, but haven’t reinstalled insulation on the firewall as I pulled what was there because it wasn’t sticking. Still have a minor idiling problem, but small issue that I am confident I will solve in the near future. So, as of now, I couldn’t be more happy with the way my girl has turned out and is proof that a project like this can be done by someone with mechanical ability, but with little auto mechanic experience.

Last edited:
Quick update. Finally figured out the fix to my idling issue. Turns out that it was simply adjusting the idle speed screw on the throttle body. I had fiddled with this before, but because of limited experience, did not go far enough. Runs and idles great now.

Quick update. Finally figured out the fix to my idling issue. Turns out that it was simply adjusting the idle speed screw on the throttle body. I had fiddled with this before, but because of limited experience, did not go far enough. Runs and idles great now.
Funny how we instinctively look past the simple things. Glad you got the idle sorted. So cool that you are driving that thing.

Duane

Thanks Duane. Didn't want everyone to think that it's all rainbows and roses over here. Although she runs very well, I am battling the dreaded wind shield leaks. Took it out yesterday for a 60 mile parts run in the rain and had to grab a towel to wipe the dash off every now and then. First time I had taken her out in the rain after the last time I added more polyurethane caulking around and under the weatherstripping. Was hoping I had it sealed up, but not so. The battle continues.
Also want to thank Chris ( Hawkeyenfo ) for stopping by on his way to visit family over Labor Day weekend. Great to have met you Chris and fun spending some time talking Willys.

Hey Bruce. The shocks I'm using up front are ProComp ES 9000. Don't remember what I paid for them, but after much research, they seemed like the best value, and fit the bill. It was long ago when I bought them so I don't have a part number. You must be at a good place with your project if your looking at shocks.

well my truck was 75% together and decided to do a extended cab......... and now i changed my front springs to Rancho wagoneer springs from CJ springs so I have had to move everything. just about ready in a few wks to get cab back on.
Do you by chance know what model you might of used for those shocks, chev ford etc etc. My set up is same as yours except spring under up front.
I am off for the rest of the month so i plan on getting a lot done, and just about ready to start my build log so everyone can see where I am at.
Thanks Brian

Bruce, I believe I bought a ford specific shock. I used a ford f150 shock tower, but then bought the shock using the measurements I ended up with. Looking forward to seeing the cab, since you stretched it.

Finally, with help from Larry and Mathman, I now have a working lock on my pickup. I ended up deleting one pin, as it made it easier to make a key work.Thanks guys

Attachments

• 271273A2-AA69-4C38-9AC9-B357897319ED.jpeg
    271273A2-AA69-4C38-9AC9-B357897319ED.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 19
  • 35A26EFE-0AD2-4143-B632-4B626FE60431.jpeg
    35A26EFE-0AD2-4143-B632-4B626FE60431.jpeg
    130.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 8E7138B3-B15E-404F-8420-9923EAABE37F.jpeg
    8E7138B3-B15E-404F-8420-9923EAABE37F.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 94F0DA93-E39B-4CD8-8DB4-59E2349ACB5F.jpeg
    94F0DA93-E39B-4CD8-8DB4-59E2349ACB5F.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 19
  • C3F1A1EA-33FC-46B6-B376-FE52AFC7FE7F.jpeg
    C3F1A1EA-33FC-46B6-B376-FE52AFC7FE7F.jpeg
    111.4 KB · Views: 19
  • 5EF2EAB7-CC9A-4966-B86E-E087C2DF4469.jpeg
    5EF2EAB7-CC9A-4966-B86E-E087C2DF4469.jpeg
    112.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DB687C87-9D9A-4518-BE97-BABCE8408BB2.jpeg
    DB687C87-9D9A-4518-BE97-BABCE8408BB2.jpeg
    109.5 KB · Views: 19
Very cool. I hope to experience this part of the journey before too long.

These things are truly never done.

What's next?

Duane

Back