Dec 20, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I have a 49 Jeepster, all original. I am not mechanically inclined. The car is great fun. It is in decent running condition but requires Herculian effort to turn, lot of pressure required to brake, and it rides like a covered wagon. I'm considering converting/upgrading to power assist steering and braking and redoing the suspension so the ride is better, etc. I'm in Orange County, CA any suggestions on repair shops that can handle this? Any suggestions on the modifications to use? Thanks

KLankford

Precision Fit
Dec 27, 2011
Albany, Wyoming
First Name
Kenny
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I believe that you can put a mustangs II suspension kit in the front that incorporates a rack and pinion steering and disk brakes. Search for this with willys attached to find shops or vendors. I am sure someone has done something like that on the forum .

CostaMesaMike

Knuckle Buster
Dec 20, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I believe that you can put a mustangs II suspension kit in the front that incorporates a rack and pinion steering and disk brakes. Search for this with willys attached to find shops or vendors. I am sure someone has done something like that on the forum .
Thank you

jimbob57

Bigger Hammer
Jun 2, 2020
Southern California
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I have a 49 Jeepster, all original. I am not mechanically inclined. The car is great fun. It is in decent running condition but requires Herculian effort to turn, lot of pressure required to brake, and it rides like a covered wagon. I'm considering converting/upgrading to power assist steering and braking and redoing the suspension so the ride is better, etc. I'm in Orange County, CA any suggestions on repair shops that can handle this? Any suggestions on the modifications to use? Thanks
i just had a Heidts Mustang II front suspension installed on my '51 Jeepster. It was done in a shop here in Orange County. The car is a work in progress and won't be on the road until July or August.

Attachments

• m2 6.jpg
    m2 6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 7

jimbob57

Bigger Hammer
Jun 2, 2020
Southern California
First Name
Bob
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
What's the name of the shop? Are you happy with their work, etc.? Thanks
the shop doesn't really have a name that i know of. i do know the owners name and number. since i can't drive it right now i can only tell you that it looks good and the measurements seem to be accurate. finding someone to do the M II swap was a bit more challenging than i expected. i had a different shop flake out on me and another shop said they could do it but it would be at least 6 months before they could get to it.

the shop that did mine had about a 2 week wait time and he had it about 1 and a half weeks. i used the kit with lower control arm struts (similar to a stock Mustang II) and most people use a strutless lower control.