Apr 8, 2021
Michigan
First Name
Marty
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1947
Bought new springs for my 47 pickup and went through the front axle replacing bearings and seals. Now as I put it back together, the tie rod is dragging on one of the clips that hold the springs aligned. What have I done wrong? First I thought I might have the springs on backwards but there is a clip on both sides of the spring mounting point equal distant. Reversing them doesn't look like it will fix my issue. I could build a shim to put between the axle mount and the spring, but why? There was no spacer in there before. Anyone have any ideas?

I will post some pictures when I can. Right now I'm on more drugs than a Pharmacy has. My health is getting in the way of my Willys progress. It stinks.

I ran into something similar.
When I went to remove my tie rod after removing the nut and pickle bar separated the end from the steering arm the rod wouldn’t clear the spring sufficiently to withdraw the end completely from the arm. I had to jack up the frame to allow the axle/spring to lower enough to remove the tie rod end completely from the steering arm.
Then did the same in reverse to reassemble.

I had a similar problem with my scout dana 44 front end. I bored out the bushings and welded in bushing inserts that were reversed which put the tie rod in a higher position. Of course that ended up too high and was hitting on the shocks. I finally found some offset tie rod ends that placed it correctly.
1642166398129.png
1642166425289.png

Also if you have to shim it, if the castor is off, you can buy castor shims and them kill two birds with one stone.

Here are some pics. Confused why it's an issue. Don't have the tie rod end torqued into the knuckles yet but can't imagine they will come up enough to clear. Here is a link to the pixs. Got to learn a better way to post pics someday.

Look on the internet and figure out what taper you tie rod ends have. Then figure out the thread pitch is for the rod ends. Then go looking around for offset tie rod ends like I used, and that should work for you if you can find some. Look for moog or TRW tie rod ends.

I looked at some before pictures of my 57' and it looks like the spring didn't have the leaf clamp. I have the same new springs as you, I'll have to look, but I think I moved or removed the leaf clamp to fix the same problem you're having. I will go look when I have a chance. It is stored off site.
P1040221.JPG

Marty,
Hope you don't mind me pirating your photos (from post #7):

Spring 1.jpg

Spring 3.jpg

Spring 2.jpg

Use 'em all you want! Not a problem.

Seems like removing one spring clip on each side wouldn't be a big issue. Maybe thats what I'll do.

It looks like there was no weight on the springs when those photos were taken. Good chance that the tie rod will clear once the springs compress with the weight of the body, engine, ect. My wagon is the same way... when I take the weight off the springs, the tie rod basically rests on them.

Thank you Andy. That makes sense. That would explain why it cleared before with the old springs. I like answers that compute.

I have the same problem with my 51 wagon. I also looked at the before and after photos and see that the old springs didn't have the clamps. I‘m thinking of taking the offending clamps off but I don’t know enough about the spring construction to know if this will cause other issues.

Attachments

• 720EC75C-B099-4C48-AEC4-8544EE0B86BA.jpeg
    720EC75C-B099-4C48-AEC4-8544EE0B86BA.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 19
  • 6F3CE044-5D77-452B-87E8-AD657954B41B.jpeg
    6F3CE044-5D77-452B-87E8-AD657954B41B.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 19
Bought new springs for my 47 pickup and went through the front axle replacing bearings and seals. Now as I put it back together, the tie rod is dragging on one of the clips that hold the springs aligned. What have I done wrong? First I thought I might have the springs on backwards but there is a clip on both sides of the spring mounting point equal distant. Reversing them doesn't look like it will fix my issue. I could build a shim to put between the axle mount and the spring, but why? There was no spacer in there before. Anyone have any ideas?
Not sure what you mean, it dragging on the squar clips around the springs? If so , how close is it when you have weight on it. I can check my 48 pickup and see what mine looks like, and let you know unless you solved the issue. One Q, are the springs more bowed then the old ones or the same? Can't see the problem from you pics, also have a 53 PU, and don't have that issue

OK, I saw all your pictures now, think you have new pictures and old ones in the mix, the first problem I see is the original???picture shows the straight tie rod with straight ends on it, and I think you new one has a drop in the ball joint attachement, that's the problem, that rod comes straight from right to left side, shouldn't drop down, the spring can really move up, so if you comfortable with moving the clamp forward just move it ahead a bit, but I would get the correct ends.

Here are two pic of the new springs. The first one is with the wheels facing forward. The second one is the drivers side wheel turned to the right, you can see that the tie rod rests on top of the spring clamp. Turn the wheels to the left and same thing happens on the passenger side spring clamp. Things of just cutting the top of the spring clamps off. FF33CE4E-1DBA-4AA1-9E26-68A610151902.jpeg588504DE-118F-44E7-81BD-D83F13ABCC87.jpeg

Those are some beefy spring clamps.

I wonder if the style of clamp below is available in the right dimensions? (If not, you could probably fabricobble sumthin' similar up.)

Might work best for you "divot up".

Did you contact the seller to see if others have struggled with the same interference issue?

1642679835574.png

From: https://scoutparts.com/Replacement_Leaf_Spring_Clamp_SP13601_Travelall_Travelette_Pickup_Metro/p13601?gclid=Cj0KCQiAraSPBhDuARIsAM3Js4pNxxyYSadw6QZjNV-z87PqhPuMdC2YXXBG7u8y7-6FY2G2lj5yitcaAukdEALw_wcB

"This is a spring clamp to replace your old ones that may have broken or fallen off by now. This is easy to install; simply place around your spring, and hammer the tabs over. It has a centering divot on the bottom to line up with a locator hole if you have one. Each spring should have at least 2, but you may need 3 or 4 depending on how hard you drive your truck. If you have issues with your spring leaves fanning out, this will fix that problem!

Simply measure the spring width and height, and give us a call. These are available for all other International trucks made in the 1940s and earlier. We can also get these for any other vehicle as well."

Must be that the new springs have an different arch (which is a DUH, of course they do) than the old ones did. I'm going to wait until I have all the weight back on the frame before I take any action. Hopefully the new springs will settle just enough to clear.

Must be that the new springs have an different arch (which is a DUH, of course they do) than the old ones did. I'm going to wait until I have all the weight back on the frame before I take any action. Hopefully the new springs will settle just enough to clear.
What about situations where load is temporarily taken off the springs like cresting the top of a hill or even a good sized pothole.

Back