May 14, 2018
Rush Ny
First Name
jack
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1954
Does anyone have a pic of the layout of the 3 speed column shift linkage & clutch linkage in place?
Thanks
Jack

I'll try to get some photos when it's daylight. I have 4 flat tires, so it's a bit of a challenge to get underneath.

I'll try to get some photos when it's daylight. I have 4 flat tires, so it's a bit of a challenge to get underneath.

Let me guess, you were asked to choose between her and the wagon and you answered?

I think the real problem is that I turned 60 and I'm not as good at crawling around under the car as I used to be. If I must, I'll try turning the wheels around so the flat spot's on the top.

Here's the transmission linkage. One photo is taken with the hood open looking down at the bottom of the steering column, and the other is taken from the transmission end looking up toward the front. The upper link is first and reverse and the lower link is 2nd and 3rd gears. To adjust the length of the links, you put the gearshift in neutral. The two shifting arms line up in the center over a couple of holes and you stick a drill bit thru the arms and the holes. Then you screw the adjusters at the transmission end until there isn't any tension on the linkage. 20190304beastlinkagesteeringcolumn.JPG20190304beastlinkagetransmissionend.JPG

Here's the clutch linkage. I included images out of the Kaiser-Willys catalog because they show the actual parts, without all the other clutter. In the photo of my car, looking from the pedals toward the front, the spring on the left goes to the clutch pedal. From the pedal, below the spring, is the clutch rod, which goes from the clutch pedal to the bellcrank. The bellcrank crosses over to the side of the transmission and then there's an adjusting rod that goes from the bellcrank to the clutch fork. The clutch fork is not pictured. When I was in high school, in the 1970s, I was not able to get the correct clutch rod, so I had one fabricated at a machine shop. The drawing shows the difference, but the original is number 45 in the KW picture. The bellcrank is number 10. The adjusting rod in my car is number 19, but the KW catalog says number 20 should be in a 54 to 64 vehicle.
20190304beastclutchlinkage.JPG
20190304beastfabclutchlink.jpg20190304beastclutchrod.JPG20190304beastbellcrank.JPG20190304beastclutchadjrod.JPG

Back