Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
I have 3 Borg Warner overdrives with 3 speed side shift transmissions for sale. 1 is apart but all there. $200 each, $150 for the one that is apart.

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
Not without modification. They are 2 wheel drive units. Not sure what would be needed for 4WD.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
True, you need the Rancho adapter to connect to the transfer case. Can't use the OD in 4wd either. There is a thread discussing the pros & cons of Warn/Saturn vs BW.

bird

Sharpest Tool
Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
In my ignorance wouldn’t I be able to run it when I’d being driving the truck in two drive which would be 85% of the time? I have an OD in my 51 Ford Wagon that I finally got to work and it is SO cool

WillyT

Bigger Hammer
Dec 4, 2014
NH
First Name
William
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The BW overdrive unit bolts on where the transfer case does. I can't say how the Ranchero adapter works to rectify this. Saturn overdrive units do work from what I have read but I have no experience with them. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
In my ignorance wouldn’t I be able to run it when I’d being driving the truck in two drive which would be 85% of the time? I have an OD in my 51 Ford Wagon that I finally got to work and it is SO cool
Yes @bird, both BW and Warn/Saturn operate in 2wd. Some people also enjoy the Warn's ability to engage OD in 4wd.

BW definitely has more limitations than Warn. Only two issues with Warn that I know of. One- the transfer case main shaft turns all the time increasing noise and wear at higher speeds. Two, another lever/shifter coming thru the floor.

That being written, I bought a BW for the truck because of no shifter handle and electric engagement. My M38a1 has an older Warn.

bird

Sharpest Tool
Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
So column shift is no problem with the BW? My rig is still 6 volt so the electrical connection might be an issue.

Stakebed

Well Oiled
All-Star
Mar 4, 2020
Northern California
First Name
Joseph
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
So column shift is no problem with the BW? My rig is still 6 volt so the electrical connection might be an issue.
I "think" not. More knowledgeable members here than I.

BW came in 6v and 12v versions. Warn is 100% mechanical, no electrics.

To my knowledge, while researching BW units, one issue is that BW never made a 4wd version. Hence, you really should buy a unit with the Rancho adapter as you don't want to try and find one later. Herm the Overdrive Guy has service and parts for both units.

Sprint 6

Sharpest Tool
Oct 30, 2017
Indiana
First Name
Chris
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
BW unit also freewheels in OD, like coasting in neutral. The originals were setup to downshift if you let off the gas. Also requires rear driveshaft mods. The Saturn unit is gear drive in both ranges, so no freewheeling. The Saturn can be used in 2wd, and 4wd high and low. No driveline mods for the Saturn.

bird

Sharpest Tool
Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
BW unit also freewheels in OD, like coasting in neutral. The originals were setup to downshift if you let off the gas. Also requires rear driveshaft mods. The Saturn unit is gear drive in both ranges, so no freewheeling. The Saturn can be used in 2wd, and 4wd high and low. No driveline mods for the Saturn.

bird

Sharpest Tool
Aug 29, 2019
san diego california
First Name
eric
Willys Model
Pickup
Willys Year:
I’ve heard a few grumbles about quality and strength issues with the Saturns But your never going to make Everyone happy.
Respect

ndnile

Precision Fit
Oct 23, 2017
Northern CA
First Name
Doug
Willys Model
Wagon
Willys Year:
The OP indicated that these were mated to 3-speed trannys, not to xfer cases. There might need to be an adapter for the xfer case. If so, it isn't in this sale.