May 31, 2022
Washington
First Name
Vaughn
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1951
I've got a line on a 49 body that I might be able to use to replace the 51 that I have that was crushed by a tree at the end of November. Does anyone know if the body mounts were different for a 2wd vs a 4wd? We're talking from the cowl back, so no hood, grille, or front fenders. I've also got a possible 52 4wd that I could grab, but looks like it might be a bit rustier as it was an upper mid-west vehicle.

I've got a line on a 49 body that I might be able to use to replace the 51 that I have that was crushed by a tree at the end of November. Does anyone know if the body mounts were different for a 2wd vs a 4wd? We're talking from the cowl back, so no hood, grille, or front fenders. I've also got a possible 52 4wd that I could grab, but looks like it might be a bit rustier as it was an upper mid-west vehicle.
Same as far as I know, but the trans tunnel is much smaller and have to be widened for the front driveshaft.

I made this swap 4-5 times, 4wd bodys were beat to hell here in Montana, 2wd were like new, very little to swap over, a little hitting where the transfer case hits the floor on the pass side and maybe a shim down on the transfer case cross member. Body mounts are right...Phil

I believe the firewall is all wrong because the 4wd motor is further back in the frame than the 2wd by a few inches. Maybe just welding on a new roof would be easier.
diggerG

I believe the firewall is all wrong because the 4wd motor is further back in the frame than the 2wd by a few inches. Maybe just welding on a new roof would be easier.
diggerG

I don't think so. I have swapped a couple and the trans tunnel was the only issue.

I would not think Willys would have made 2 different body's cost too much to do so.I never had any problem with the firewalls.
..Phil

Don't know if these diagrams might be of some help...

Doesn't show the mounts in particular. I just purchased a 49 2WD Station Wagon, and just finished(???) my 59 resto-mod, so can get some specific measurements if needed, but so far, agree with Tim & Phil, the tranny tunnel is definitely shaped different , less roomy on the 49.

IMG_0258.JPGDimensions Diagram.jpg

I would not think Willys would have made 2 different body's cost too much to do so.I never had any problem with the firewalls.
..Phil

Definitely a difference on the floor pans on the early 2WD vs 4WD. I think that changed when the 2WD went to the straight axle

Definitely a difference on the floor pans on the early 2WD vs 4WD. I think that changed when the 2WD went to the straight axle
The body mounts are the same on the 2wd and 2wd. If the body has the low transmission tunnel you will have to change the transmission and transfer case mounts . The mount bracket under the transfer case rubber mount is shorter and transmission mount is replaced with 2 rubber mouns and a plate.

The body mounts are the same on the 2wd and 2wd. If the body has the low transmission tunnel you will have to change the transmission and transfer case mounts . The mount bracket under the transfer case rubber mount is shorter and transmission mount is replaced with 2 rubber mouns and a plate.

The correct way is simply to widen the tunnel a few inches. Piece of cake. I have done two 1952 2WD body transplants onto a 1963 4x4 frame because I wanted the 230 and late steering. On those I swapped firewalls and complete floors by drilling out all of the spot welds switching them around.

Reactions: JEC
I am some what doing the swap right now, 2 wd jeepster onto a 4x4 sw frame, everything lines up so far but a few things dont because of the chevy v8 and the th400 .....body to frame is a bolt on....Phil

Back