Sep 3, 2021
US
First Name
Dave
Willys Model
  1. Forward Control
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Attached should be a picture I am going to reference below.

The PO of my 170 did not have the filter system installed. I am trying to find some good visuals online on what I should have under my hood. I found a youtube video (This one) that has a decent overview of the engine. For starters: Is the red the "in line" to the filter? The green the "out"?

The second part is the advice on the oil filter and system. There is a company in Yuma that sells the whole kit for $200. I could buy the bits and pieces from Kaiser Willys, or Omix on Amazon. Is it worth it, or should I think of using a modern remotely mounted filter kit? I wouldn't mind keeping this relatively close to original, but I have no problem "modernizing" it.

I really appreciate any input.

Screenshot 2024-05-07 173618.png

Attached should be a picture I am going to reference below.

The PO of my 170 did not have the filter system installed. I am trying to find some good visuals online on what I should have under my hood. I found a youtube video (This one) that has a decent overview of the engine. For starters: Is the red the "in line" to the filter? The green the "out"?

The second part is the advice on the oil filter and system. There is a company in Yuma that sells the whole kit for $200. I could buy the bits and pieces from Kaiser Willys, or Omix on Amazon. Is it worth it, or should I think of using a modern remotely mounted filter kit? I wouldn't mind keeping this relatively close to original, but I have no problem "modernizing" it.

I really appreciate any input.

View attachment 164003
Yes red in green out. I have no experience with cab overs but I should think a remote modern spin on type, fitted where it suits you, would be easier to live with. Just make sure the oil lines are good quality. And that goes for replacements for the standard filter too, had a couple dud hoses come from the US a few years back.

If you are interested, I have a complete canister set up from a 58 pick-up. 226 engine.
Not sure if it would fit exactly perfect in an FC but looks identical to the one in the picture.
Except it's red.
PM me if you are interested.

The one in the picture is NOT an FC 170. They had a spin on setup as Joe B. has. If you can get the cannister one to fit go for it. but the spin on was designed to be easier. Maybe there was a space issue though. I have no idea on that.
good luck
diggerG

My 1962 FC-170 has the original type bypass oil filter.

The spin on bypass was standard? I have a generic service manual and it shows the type in my original picture. That's why I was looking for that type. Does anyone have any documentation or a part number on the spin on?

Thanks @two-bit but I might want to search out for what was factory if I can.

@diggerG that's not something hiding in your parts bin?

Last edited:
Spin-on filter mounts came along about 1960 on the 226. They are nice but you have to make sure the filter has a flow restrictor or bad things happen.

The spin on bypass was standard? I have a generic service manual and it shows the type in my original picture. That's why I was looking for that type. Does anyone have any documentation or a part number on the spin on?

Thanks @two-bit but I might want to search out for what was factory if I can.

@diggerG that's not something hiding in your parts bin?
I believe I don’t have one. I never saved them.
diggerG

Back