226 Harmonic Balancer

aquawilly54

Well Oiled
Sep 21, 2009
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Hey all,
Just thought i'd throw some info out this morning. I know I saw a couple of postings a while back concerning HB's, so I thought I'd fill you in on mine. Ya'll know I acquired a second engine to use and found out it wasn't usable, so now it's a choice, of which one is going to the machine shop for it's once over. Either way, since it's going to be balanced, I chose the worse of the two HB's to send off for refurbishment. I sent it to the Damper Doctor in Redding CA. The turn around was fairly quick. From the time I sent it to the time I received it back here in Missouri, less than two weeks. I wouldn't say it looks brand new, but it's definitely straight and true, so i'm ok with it. I'm just hoping the timing marks are in the right spot. :roll: Here's the before and after. If you take a good look at the back side, you'll note that the outer part of the balancer had definitely slipped. Look at the spoke with raise lettering in relation to the dimple. This is a common problem with these items. I'm considering it, money well spent.
Steve
[attachment=3:2hcqw8gp]HB.JPG[/attachment:2hcqw8gp][attachment=2:2hcqw8gp]HB (2).JPG[/attachment:2hcqw8gp][attachment=1:2hcqw8gp]DSC00264.JPG[/attachment:2hcqw8gp][attachment=0:2hcqw8gp]DSC00265.JPG[/attachment:2hcqw8gp]

Attachments

• HB.JPG
    HB.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 124
  • HB (2).JPG
    HB (2).JPG
    112.6 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC00264.JPG
    DSC00264.JPG
    115.4 KB · Views: 109
  • DSC00265.JPG
    DSC00265.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 108
Good information :thumbup:

Especially nice for me is the fact that the shop you used is in Redding.

aquawilly54 said:
...I sent it to the Damper Doctor in Redding CA...

Mind if I as how much they charged to refurb the damper?

Pete

Pete,
Including the cost of shipping, both ways, the total bill came to $170. I used a flat rate postal box @ $10 and they used UPS, @ $14, so roughly $145 for them to fix it up.
Steve

aquawilly54 said:
Pete,
Including the cost of shipping, both ways, the total bill came to $170. I used a flat rate postal box @ $10 and they used UPS, @ $14, so roughly $145 for them to fix it up.
Steve

Thanks for the info, I may need to do the same thing with mine...

Pete

Back