Sep 17, 2009
Hailey, Idaho
First Name
Pete
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960

It's official, the dates for the 2024 Run For The Hills - Idaho are June 14-17. Mark your calendars!​

The run will be in Stanley, Idaho in the heart of the Idaho Rockies, and the Sawtooth Mountain range.

IMG_1911_0167.JPG

index.php

Redfish Lake
index.php

The Sawtooth Range from the Basin Butte Lookout Trail
index.php

The tentative schedule for the weekend is:
  • Friday- June 14
    • 5:30 PM - Meet and greet Downtown Stanley, Mountain Village General Store/Gas Station Parking Area. Leave for Redfish at 6:00pm.
    • 6:30 PM - Dinner at Redfish Lake Lodge.
  • Saturday- June 15
  • Sunday -June 16
  • Monday Funday! - June 17
    • 9:00 AM - Boulder Basin Trail Head. Bonus trail for the adventurous among us. The Boulder Basin Trail that leads to the Historic Mining Townsite of Boulder City is a more technical trail and has spectacular mountain views. More information below.
Lodging Options:
Camping Options near Stanley Zoom in on the map to see nearby camping options.

If you are planning to attend, post your intentions and I'll add you to the list.

Currently planning to attend:
Confirmed Head Count for Friday/Saturday/Sunday: 24 Jeeps, 45 people.
Confirmed Number of Jeeps for Monday: 8

Radios:
We will be using GMRS/FRS radios on the trail rides. Bring a radio if you have one. Bring two if you have an extra to loan to someone who doesn't have one.

Map to Redfish Lake Lodge for Friday Dinner: Redfish Lake Lodge is about 7 miles from Downtown Stanley.

StanleyToRedfish.jpeg

Trail Info:

Saturday: Basin Butte Lookout. We will leave Downtown Stanley and drive west on HWY 21, turn right on Nip and Tuck Road, and then follow the trail up to the lookout. From there we we will continue on to Hindman Lake for a picnic lunch spot.
Round trip out and back is just over 44 miles total.

Trail Map, Downtown Stanley to Basin Butte Lookout:
StanleyToBasinButteLookout.jpeg

Trail Map, Basin Butte Lookout to Hindman Lake for picnic lunch:
LookoutToHindman.jpeg

Sunday: We will head north from Stanley on HWY 75, and turn off at the Sunbeam Dam onto Yankee For Road. We will stop and tour the Yankee Fork Dredge, and then visit the Historic Mining Town of Custer. From there we will drive up to the top of Loon Creek Summit. We will cover about 65 miles round trip. Be sure to have enough fuel, before you leave Stanley, there are no fuel stops beyond Stanley.

StanleyToCuster.jpeg

Custer to Loon Creek Summit:
CusterToLoonCreekSummit.jpeg

Monday Funday Trial Ride: Optional Trail into the Boulder Basin near Ketchum Idaho. This trail is one of Idaho's best off-road trails, and winds it's way up into the Boulder Mountains in a steep walled canyon. Out and back from HWY 75 is about 12 miles.

The Trail Head for this trail is off of Hwy 75, 49 miles south of Stanley, or 17 miles north of Ketchum.

BoulderBasinTrail.jpeg

This trail has two sections-

The first is a rocky two track road that runs from the trailhead at Hwy 75, up in to the Boulder Basin. The road crosses the stream several times, which should be running high in June. The trail winds it's way up the valley past a few historic mining log cabins, old ore car cables and mining history. The trail emerges from the forested bottoms onto a shale shelf road that climbs farther up into the basin. Once past the shelf road section, there is a short rocky riverbed section that ends at a switchback. This is where the trail gets more technical. Up until this point, I think any Willys can do this section, as long as you are comfortable taking your rig off-road and willing to run on a rough rocky trail.
This video was taken in June of 2019, in my Wagon. We ran up to the switchback just before the "gate keeper" for a picnic. It should give you a good idea what the first section of the trail is like.

The second section from the switchback starts with a "gate keeper" that is a rocky shelf that can be difficult to climb. There is a possible go around that is less technical, but the condition of this bypass will be unknown until we get there. Once past the "gate keeper" obstacle, the rest of the road up to the old townsite of Boulder City is mild and easy with only a few rough patches here and there.
This video was taken last fall after the first snowfall, and starts at the beginning of the shelf road. We did most of the trail in the snow in flatfenders.

Pete

Attachments

• back_e501b0e1-0cba-433d-9103-c6d79b7f39ea_1800x1800.jpeg
    back_e501b0e1-0cba-433d-9103-c6d79b7f39ea_1800x1800.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 133
  • front_78b944d3-80d1-43ab-b0b4-9ad95518a9c9_1800x1800.jpeg
    front_78b944d3-80d1-43ab-b0b4-9ad95518a9c9_1800x1800.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
I hate to vote not yet knowing for certain that I can attend, but I'm certainly going to try to be there, so I'll weigh in with my preference in the poll, though either date could potentially work.

In terms of what to expect re rain and snow in the coming winter, this may be helpful given the high probability of an El Nino weather pattern.

In the winter, when El Niño impacts are felt strongest, it typically brings wetter and cooler than normal conditions across the southern part of the United States from central California to Florida and up the East Coast while warmer and drier than average conditions are typical for the Northern Tier of the U.S. to the Great Lakes. The strength – weak, moderate, strong - of an individual El Niño influences the odds of these outcomes.​

Last edited:
This sounds great Pete, Sue and I are marking the calendar and planning on being there. Unfortunately the last weekend in June is booked for us, Gambler 500 is that weekend.

This year's RFTH was the first time I've done a group event with Willy's folks and it was amazing. Really fun to meet people in person, see all the ways people channel their skills and creativity into making the rigs suit the way they want to use them. Besides..there's nothing like driving your Willy's to get you out of your comfort zone and prioritize that to-do list :D

The route to Stanley is all planned. ;)
View attachment 148197
Great looking route! Love that you are including a loop up to the Steens Mountains overlook. If the timing works, Paige Springs is a nice little campground dpwn on the Donner and Blitzen River. Have a family style dinner at the old French Glenn Hotel. Not sure of you plans for the return trip, but the area near Leslie Gulch along the Owhyee River is spectacular. And then a look back up to the top of the Steens from the Alvord Desert. Milkshake at Fields Station a must.

Great looking route! Love that you are including a loop up to the Steens Mountains overlook. If the timing works, Paige Springs is a nice little campground dpwn on the Donner and Blitzen River. Have a family style dinner at the old French Glenn Hotel. Not sure of you plans for the return trip, but the area near Leslie Gulch along the Owhyee River is spectacular. And then a look back up to the top of the Steens from the Alvord Desert. Milkshake at Fields Station a must.
Gee, too bad Dave is not familiar with that route. ;)

The route to Stanley is all planned. ;)
View attachment 148197
A much different and probably more interesting route than I had planned on using.
Kurt, how many miles, how many hours?
Duh, disregard. I saw the information.

Looks like a good convoy route. I’ll need to pack a good number of sandwiches. I wonder how many Jerry cans I have room for.
There are gas stations, cafes, motels and campsites all along the way. Gas in Gerlach, Denio and Crane, then you're back in civilization. Lots of possible little variations to that general route.
I'll meet you in Truckee for breakfast. Camp first night at Soldier Meadow. ;)
Thanks! I saw that Page Spring site and was thinking of that for the second night. I've been through Malheur but always wanted to see the Steens, so this could be a good chance.

Edit: I have a shirttail relative who's a semi-pro photographer and is very into the Steens and the Owyhee.

Last edited:
Idaho! So much closer than NorCal! Jen and I plan to be there - we might even road trip the entire distance in the wagon! Either weekend works - probably more important to know which weekend is chosen so that we can block it out on the calendar. Although that doesn't necessarily have to be known for a few months. Thanks to our planners! For those of you familiar with the ecj5 forum, we just finished our first day of trail running for what is becoming the annual Colo epic week (this is 4 in a row)...
PXL_20230814_175426795.jpg

I just towed my 24' travel trailer over Donner summit in the Concrete Semi Tire Chain Wagon Ruts. What a white knuckle trip. It was like herding cats trying to stay in the ruts, or getting out of them. I put the truck up on ramps and my son came over and we took turns moving the steering wheel and shaking the truck side to side while the other laid under it watching. Well, I ordered a new Moog Track Bar, new urethane sway bar bushings, new sway bar end links and a steering box/frame stiffener/support. My Cummins Ram 3500 4x4 is 27 years old and has over 250,000 miles on it. I think it's going to need more than a few front end parts to get it ready for that long of a trip.
At the moment, I'm still on the fence about towing up into Idaho.

I was thinking that the drive to Stanley would be too far, but driving the CJ along the @Lookout Ranch route would be quite an adventure! Maybe I need to dust off the tent and check the air mattress for leaks......
A lot will depend on how hot the weather is then, but that is often a beautiful time in the high desert, in terms of wildflowers, etc.

Back