1964 Willys Traveller

It's going to be fun driving those San Francisco "stoplights on hills" without the Granny gear your CJ8 has.

Glad you are driving it while the kids can enjoy it with you. Guaranteed you are going to be the only dad dropping off at school in a Willys.

Duane

Last edited:
It's going to be fun driving those San Francisco "stoplights on hills" without the Granny gear your CJ8 has.

Glad you are driving it while the kids can enjoy it with you. Guaranteed you are going to be the only dad dropping off at school in a Willys.

Duane
Yeah, I had the choke out too much while driving it onto the back of the flatbed. It stumbled a bit (understandably), but was steep enough to make me wonder last night about what its limits on San Francisco hills would be. Will stick to the flatter parts of town while I get comfortable driving her.

The kids love Willys. There is this yellow post-1957 truck across town that they insist on stopping by to see if it's parked on the street that they call "their friend, the Willys truck:"
Willys Truck 1962.jpg

Also, member @cfschweitzer (Conor) and I live just a few blocks from each other... he has two Parkways (I think).

Last edited:
Fantastic that you have it now home. Glad to see the kids take an interest in it as well.
Make sure though that you fix the wipers before using them.

I got a good laugh at you driving past a Willys with the kids. I have a nice wagon pretty near me. I have chased him twice with my wife in the car and yet again last week with my daughter. He seems to slip away at a signal everytime.

I will one day catch him and have a Willys friend in my neighborhood. HaHa

First time in Willys ownership, I knew no other owners. Thanks to this forum I have met several of you guys. I pester Casey once in awhile trying to find my Willys building Mojo.

Guessing you will have to get started on that extended cab truck next. You will have young drivers there before you know it.

Duane

Touched the Traveller for the first time in months. New helper (kid #3) arrived in late July.

The Traveller had a dead battery. No surprise there. Thought I had disconnected it, but it’s on the trickle charger now.

5C3F9888-A039-4F16-8C9C-590BFB07F467.jpeg

D05C990A-A9A0-4186-AA1D-53290A76A75B.jpeg
The main priority was to get the second 230 OHC drivetrain ready for shipment tomorrow via Fastenall. Nice to have grandparents in town as my wife just got out of surgery.

4C249570-3F9C-4A17-A90F-FF447D1039D2.jpeg

29AD157E-0E10-4581-A612-F95F69B9DA28.jpeg

61D2DB5D-F3A7-439C-B442-F41B47C506B3.jpeg

Love the picture of the little one lookin' at the dog with those button eyes. Sweet.
She’s great. Very attentive to the kids. The two older ones share a room and she sleeps in the hall outside their room until they are both asleep and then patters down the hall to her bed.

Almost the same color and brilliance !
YRrES7n.jpg

Hey Dan

Do you still have the data plate on the dash?

Not the original black-and-gold GSA plate unfortunately. It was missing when I bought it. However, there is a guy in the Netherlands who makes really nice reproduction ones. I’ll post a picture tonight.

Some information on when your engine was built,, Is there a number on the side that starts with AF,, cant remember where i got this information a long time ago but i wrote it down any way,, as an example,, * AF K 9 IO 4 * It deciphers as / AF, type of motor, 230,
K the month it was made/cast, A---L, 11 month, ,, 9 the day it was made, 1--- 31,,, 4, the year it was made, 64,,, hope this is handy,,,☘.

And then got her safely back in the garage.

Did a post-drive inspection. No gas or (unexpected) oil leaks. There is a bit of oil coming from the back top of the valve cover. Also it looks like there is some coolant leaking out of the ends of the radiator hoses where they enter the block. Definitely need to track that one down.

Back