1964 Willys Traveller

We did the monthly 15 minute idle-and-drive around the block yesterday in the Traveller... now look to have a fuel pump leak.
1A3F3CDF-96A7-4462-9681-1F26BDE2BA26.jpeg
5A3D007C-50F4-4B71-96D8-B7ED979CF654.jpegThere also seems to be a slight leak between the aluminum plate and the engine block after the recent water pump repair.
89943B82-FC9D-4151-99FF-0B00232F16AD.jpeg

EFDDA313-1121-4DD1-BCC4-4BEEAC7CEE01.jpeg
39877F36-6FC0-45EC-B7CC-B08E96FD49AA.jpeg
5CC08ABC-9F89-464E-AA97-8F31E7F59080.jpeg
That's the point: find and fix the problems (ahem - personality quirks) before hitting the road. Still gunning for the Run for the Hills, Sierra in June 5-6.

Attachments

• 9E1B7447-526E-4272-BF4A-424165856AB0.jpeg
    9E1B7447-526E-4272-BF4A-424165856AB0.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
Dan, How bad are the leaks? You'd certainly want to repair any fuel pump variety but the perhaps the crack in the valve cover gasket (top of your last picture) might be OK to leave... On the other hand, I've been accustomed to leaks being a Brit car enthusiast for almost 60 years so perhaps my tolerance for leaks is too high ! Pavel.

Watch out for fuel pump leaks. One thing I really don't like about the Tornado is where they put the fuel pump - right above the distributor. So a fuel leak from the pump drips fuel onto a device which is carefully designed to ignite gasoline!

Watch out for fuel pump leaks. One thing I really don't like about the Tornado is where they put the fuel pump - right above the distributor. So a fuel leak from the pump drips fuel onto a device which is carefully designed to ignite gasoline!
Yeah, and the Traveller is parked directly below our kids’ bedroom. After this event, the first question was: “Daddy, why does it smell like chemicals?”

Of course, there are two ways to solve that potential problem... either move the fuel pump (especially if you no longer have the vacuum system), or disconnect the distributor.

My folks were in town to see their youngest grandkid. Dad (@chelarrys) and I did the monthly start of the Traveller, only to confirm this:

Yup, as we suspected above, the fuel pump leaks. It looks like from the lower seal. It’s all good. I’ve always wanted to change a fuel pump and swapping in a new fuel filter is on the “to-do” list anyway. Now time to do some options on fuel pumps. Stock or? What do you all think?

In any case, it was good to take a break for a bit and talk Jeep with Dad.

One Tornado-specific issue is the fuel pump pushrod. On the early engines when you remove the fuel pump the pushrod will slide down ( it won't come out), and if you are not paying attention you can jam everything up when you try to re-install the pump. The later engines had a spring on the upper end of the pushrod to keep it in place.

Getting this project going again...trying to move faster than the speed of galloping turtles. One bite at a time, as they say. The following is more a way for me to get organized; probably not too interesting for a reader.
  1. Fuel
    • Problem: fuel pump is leaking onto distributor; fuel filter is old.
    • Solution: replace fuel filter and fuel pump. Thanks to @Dahdo and the OWF Christmas exchange. I now have two to test and install.
    • Note: after removal, send leaky fuel pump out to be rebuilt.
  2. Fluids
    • Problem: engine oil is old. Traveller has not been run much for the past five years.
    • Solution : change engine oil.
  3. Feet
    • Problem 1: Existing 15" tires are heat-cracked. The existing 15" shiny aftermarket wheels are fine, but don't match with vision to return the Traveller to stock.
    • Solution: Replace with stock 16" wheels and new tires, size 215/85R16.
    • Problem 2: The used set of 16" wheels are old and need sand blasting plus paint or powder coat, as well as to be separated from old tires.
    • Solution: Separate old wheels and tires, talk to a few sand blasting/power coat/paint places (two local plus Les Schwab). See if anyone wants the old, but very low mileage 16" tires.
  4. Friction
    • Problem: current parking brake cable is rubbing on muffler.
    • Solution 1: Make bigger wood block stand-offs.
    • Solution 2: Order and install the muffler detailed by @captainlance.
Some of you could crank this out in a weekend, but I'll just get started a bit at a time.

My short-term goals are:
  1. Get it safely operable, do a series of road tests, and then start running around town with the kids in it.
  2. Get the bugs worked out enough to make it to the next Run For The Hills.
Good thing there are friendly neighborhood Willys experts who have already offered to help.

Back