Alamogordo New Mexico
First Name
Russ
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1963
Hey everyone,

I'm new here and need some advice. I know my truck's engine a 230 CI 6 cylinder OHC (Tornado) was originally a gold color. Any advise on what shade of gold it was? I found my fan or water pump pully still had some gold on it and it looked a little greenish gold. I don't know if that is old age or close to the correct color. Any advise would be appreciated. Im sure I will need more advise as this project goes on.

I am in the process of dismantling the truck for a full frame off restoration, restoring as I pull parts off. So long way till I get to painting the engine. Its basically all there and all original un molested. Sold in Arizona, and lived most of its life here in New Mexico. 96,000 miles, no rust, greasy, dirty but no major dents, just a good ol' truck!

Russ

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Russ. Mine was long ago replaced with a 302 Ford. But this picture might help.
View attachment 97907
yes seen that and love it, If I dont find a code for the original that is my way I am going for sure. I love that engine color and detail. I did repaint the fan blade back red like it originally was.......

Hey everyone im new here and need some advice. I know my trucks engine a 230 CI 6 cyl. (tornado) was originally a gold color. Any advise on what shade of gold it was? I found my fan or water pump pully still had some gold on it and it looked a little greenish gold. I dont know if that is old age or close to the correct color. Any advise would be appreciated. Im sure I will need more advise as this project goes on. I am in the process of dismantling the truck for a full frame off restoration, restoring as I pull parts off. So long way till I get to painting the engine. Its basically all there and all original un molested. Sold in Arizona, and lived most of its life here in New Mexico. 96,000 miles, no rust, greasy, dirty but no major dents, just a good ol truck!
Russ
A new question to you smart people out there.... my tornado engine has an oil bath air cleaner, complete but the bracket that hold the actual oil bath area has no support or bracket under it? there is a rod with a flat area and hole that is mounted to the left side of the engine heading to that area, but is about 4" away from the actual air cleaner. I think I am missing the part that bolts to the oil bath cleaner. Any pics of what I am missing? I did research on on line and seen a flat metal bracket but really cant tell how it bolts to my round bracket.

Hi Russ. Welcome to OWF. I'm looking forward to following your restoration. I have a '64 J300, not quite original, but essentially not much changed frame/bodywise between '62 & '64.

Hi Russ. Welcome to OWF. I'm looking forward to following your restoration. I have a '64 J300, not quite original, but essentially not much changed frame/bodywise between '62 & '64.
im trying to keep mine all original since it has been kept that away since the beginning. still tearing it down and restoring what I take off. Bed is ready to come off, but the cab is weeks away. I will keep everyone in the loop with some pics as I go. Just spent sunday redoing the speed-O area and all the original switches. I just love the old vintage quality and workmanship. "SO RETRO"

I have to say ScaryHD, my truck looks alot like yours from the front. It was originally white but I am going to change that to spruce tip green.

Like @rocket 's post earlier from the sales brochures here are some from brochures I've acquired recently on Ebay (although the 'true' color shade does not quite come through). You can pick these up for $10-$15, depending on shipping. Aside for being cool to look at and marvel at the '60's marketing spiel they can add value/interest when deciding to offer the vehicle up for sale on that "cold day in hell". :devil:

I think you've chosen well to return to the "green" color. Lots of green represented in the brochures.

Green-1.JPG

Attachments

• Green-2.JPG
    Green-2.JPG
    518.1 KB · Views: 4
  • Interior.JPG
    Interior.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 64-colors.JPG
    64-colors.JPG
    463.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Brochure.JPG
    Brochure.JPG
    518.8 KB · Views: 4
Like @rocket 's post earlier from the sales brochures here are some from brochures I've acquired recently on Ebay (although the 'true' color shade does not quite come through). You can pick these up for $10-$15, depending on shipping. Aside for being cool to look at and marvel at the '60's marketing spiel they can add value/interest when deciding to offer the vehicle up for sale on that "cold day in hell". :devil:

I think you've chosen well to return to the "green" color. Lots of green represented in the brochures.

View attachment 98133

View attachment 98133
I have recently purchased form Ebay a actual color chip card showing interior and exterior combos and actual paint chips used by a paint dealer. I will truly need this to use the correct color for steering wheels, dash etc. I too have bought some of these ads..... very interesting!

I have recently purchased form Ebay a actual color chip card showing interior and exterior combos and actual paint chips used by a paint dealer. I will truly need this to use the correct color for steering wheels, dash etc. I too have bought some of these ads..... very interesting!
One wall in my home office. I have other adds of Willys 20210331_112540.jpgpurchased from e-bay but not framed or on display yet.

Welcome aboard. That's a sweet Gladiator.

https://www.oldwillysforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/caravan-to-2017-willys-america-open-house-and-bbq.11425/
index.php

index.php

index.php

Oh man that is beautiful!!! Great job. I can not wait until mine is at that point. You have the same air cleaner I have. So what year is yours? I restored a 33 Ford 1 1/2 ton flat bed and I loved it at the rolling chassis point. Hell I drove the chassis around! That was weird to , I think the big fenders and of course the radiator were on and that’s about it.... Lol

Back