1961 cj5 " should tag number match frame number?

Trailblocker

Knuckle Buster
Nov 23, 2019
Sicklerville NJ
First Name
Paul
Willys Model
  1. CJ
Willys Year:
  1. 1961
I have a cj5. No title. Frame number and engine number indicate 1961 but the tag on the drivers side firewall doesn't match. Does any one no if the tag is correct? If so which number would be considered the vin?

Attachments

• IMG_0761.JPG
    IMG_0761.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0762.JPG
    IMG_0762.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_0763.JPG
    IMG_0763.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 26
Tag number is the VIN, Quite common for the frame and engine numbers not to match anything...Phil

I have a cj5. No title. Frame number and engine number indicate 1961 but the tag on the drivers side firewall doesn't match. Does any one no if the tag is correct? If so which number would be considered the vin?

Depends on the year and the state. My 1950-1/2 truck was titled by the engine serial number. It was that way when he bought it (1957, probably from the original owner) and when he gave the truck to me in 1981. I don't know which states did it that way but several did. I would hope they changed that by the 1960's.

Depends on the year and the state. My 1950-1/2 truck was titled by the engine serial number. It was that way when he bought it (1957, probably from the original owner) and when he gave the truck to me in 1981. I don't know which states did it that way but several did. I would hope they changed that by the 1960's.
This helps a lot! Thanks for the help.

Yep. The numbers on my ex Colorado now in SoCal cj3 are the engine numbers which I find very odd. But, that is the way they did things. I'll get mine changed to the Vin numbers.

Our M38A1 title was also via the engine number as well. Patent plate was used to come up with the military hood number

On earlier serial number tags slotted head screws were used was this changed to phillips heads at some point. If not then the tag on the firewall might not be original.

Back