Johnstown PA.
First Name
Ira
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1960
So here I am, new to the forum.

I have searched for a while for my wagon and finally found and made the purchase. My older brother had two wagons over the years and I had an CJ2A with a V-8, numerous newer Jeeps, and a driving a Gladiator now. Still nothing like "Old Iron". This project will probably involve newer running gear as I am going to use it as my daily driver.

Looking forward to picking some brains for advice. Thanking all of you ahead of time.

Undecided and looking for advice. Keep the original frame and put new axles under it. Or put a blazer frame under the wagon. looking for Pro's and Con's

Seems like every frame swap takes years to finish except for @POPS52. He seems to work at lightning speed. Also, frame swaps can have an awkward look to them. Might have been @AgarAgar and his S10 swap, where he had to significantly thin out the section height of the frame. I could be misremembering the member or project. @rocket has significantly modified his wagon and CJ powertrains and yet I believe Rodney retained the Willys frames. Modified frames yes, but I do not believe he frame swapped.

If you want to be on the road within a year or so, just change the axles. If you want all the benefits of modern suspension, braking, etc and have the time then frame swap. Personally, I'm in favor of retaining the stock frames and modify them as needed. Everyone has their own needs and opinions.

I think do the opposite of what I have done is best....... my project is beyond stalled and is taking me a long time to get back to it at any level. I'm only one bathroom painting project away from being able to now have to chainsaw mine out of the weeds. Don't get to the point you need a chainsaw.

So opposite of me.....
Build it to enjoy it and it will get used more. Comfort and enjoyment are very different creatures. They could be contained in the same vehicle but just think of all the cool adventures you could be on just going to the hardware store to pick up something small in your project.

These need to be used and driven pretty regularly and just work on them as stuff pops up. Too much down time and the risk is there to stall out the momentum.

What ever is the fastest way to get to the driving and using stage is what I would like to do with my project.

I've done a lot of axle swaps, engine swaps, and tranny swaps over the years.. Just rebuilding floors and changing Hat Channels can be a problem getting body mounts to line up again. Any modification you do has to be well thought out and engineered. I've seen frame swaps that came out looking like a Circus car with the body sitting way up in the air and the entire frame showing. I've also seen some well executed frame swaps that worked very well. You need to remember to stay within your budget and skill level. You don't start a frame swap without the ability to lift and move bodies around and do massive welding jobs.

I'm in the process of doing a Blazer frame swap. Its going pretty well so far. I'm hoping it wont take years. Check out my post (Willys frame transplant there goes the budget). I'm planning on u dating the post, but I'm having problems getting pics. from my phone to my computer. HOW HARD CAN IT BEo_O

Last edited:
Welcome aboard Ira. My Pap's name was Ira by the way and he actually worked in Johnstown..."over the mountain" from the Bedford area as we say! I'm from south of Bedford but may not be much help as I usually have more questions than answers! Drop me a PM if out and about and want to swap lies.

So i have decided to keep the original frame. Since I have been out of this for a few years I did not realize all the adapters and items I could do to upgrade my driveline. it currently has a small block Chevy residing in its engine bay which I may keep.

I did find 3 sets of old cloth door frames for cj5, cj2a, 3b??? I really have no idea. If any one needs original frames please let me know. I will post a picture of them beside the Jeep along with a few others. Have a great day.
20210612_170410.jpg20210612_153357.jpg20210614_194601 (1).jpg20210614_193708.jpg20210612_153147.jpg20210614_193352.jpg

Curious how your Gladiator does towing the wagon on a heavy trailer...

I was concerned myself but truly amazed. It was about 150 miles one way. A couple very large hills or rather mountains. It rode and drove fantastic. normally I get about 22 mpg on a trip. Towing down empty trailer I got 18 and on the way back about 14.5. Kept and eye on transmission and water temp on the large hills and it went up only a few degrees. I don't have the 4:10 gears but it did great.

I was concerned myself but truly amazed. It was about 150 miles one way. A couple very large hills or rather mountains. It rode and drove fantastic. normally I get about 22 mpg on a trip. Towing down empty trailer I got 18 and on the way back about 14.5. Kept and eye on transmission and water temp on the large hills and it went up only a few degrees. I don't have the 4:10 gears but it did great.

I'll have to change my profile picture.
Hearing this account of towing a Willys with a Gladiator makes me happy. I'm trading my 4-door Rubicon in on a 2021 Rubicon Gladiator today.

Back