San Francisco, California
First Name
Dan
Willys Model
  1. Wagon
Willys Year:
  1. 1964
Hi all,

A few of you - both Traveller owners and those interested in them - have asked about creating a Traveller thread, so here we go.

What's the intent? Here's a start:
  1. Introduce the Traveller to those who aren't aware of them.
  2. Share marketing info and history.
  3. Share tips and tricks for some of the Traveller-only features.
  4. Connect Traveller owners and those interested in them.
  5. Wherever else this thread takes us.
Welcome aboard!
1961 Willys Traveller brochure (low res).jpg

1961 Willys Traveller avatar.jpg
I bought these pictures of eBay a few years ago - Willys engineering photos of the Traveller:
Willys Wagon Traveller front (low res).jpg
Willys Wagon Traveller side (low res).jpg

Question 1: What is a Traveller and when were they made?

Answer:
Travellers were based off of the slab-sided Delivery and made from 1960-1964 in both 2wd and 4wd flavors. They had a "high roof" and flush side windows. They were intended to haul crew (8 passengers in the 2wd, and 9 in the 4wd) with rear sideways jump seats atop flattened wheel wheels (similar to the FJ Land Cruiser or Land Rovers of yore). Many were bought by the US Forest Service and US Border Patrol.
1961 Willys Traveller brochure 2.jpg

1961 Willys Traveller brochure 4.jpg
Question 2: What other unique features did a Traveller have?

Answer:
A few.
  1. The 2wd had a spare tire mounted behind the driver's seat, and a shorter left hand rear jump seat.
  2. The 4wd had a roof-mounted spare tire rack.
  3. At least the 2wd - and perhaps the 2wd - had a diamond step plate mounted behind the rear bumper to help with entry/exit via the rear barn doors.
  4. There also was an optional second gas tank, mounted in the frame with the fueling inlet directly behind the driver's door.
Willys Wagon Traveller 1962 April brochure 1.jpg
Willys Wagon Traveller 1962 April brochure 2.jpg
Willys Wagon Traveller 1962 April brochure 3.jpg
Willys Wagon Traveller 1962 April brochure 4.jpg
Question 3: How do you spell Traveller anyway?

Answer:
There is Willys marketing material spelling it both with one and two "l"s, but most appear to have two "l"s. Also many government vehicles had a black glovebox "GSA" plate where the stamper(s) at the factory or in the field were also inconsistent with the spelling.
Traveller GSA plate Todd M. 2015-04-27.jpg
Willys Traveller GSA plate.JPG
Willys Traveller GSA Plate 2016-02-26.JPG
Willys Wagon Traveller GSA Plate 2016-06-01.jpg

Question 4: Wait, that looks a lot like a Parkway Conversion. What's the difference?

Answer:
Good question. The Parkway Conversion was also built off of the Delivery, but was done from the late 1940s through the 1960s (Travellers just in the 1960s) and hence all the basic body/trim/etc. differences in the wagon over the years apply. In addition, the Parkways have fixed side glass (the Travellers have sliders), and on the interior, the Parkway Conversions have the normal Delivery (and Wagon) rounded topped wheel wells (the Travellers have flat-topped wheel wells for the sideways jump seats).

Why do Parkway Conversion even exist? Many suburbs and cities enacted delivery vehicle prohibitions after WWII, many of which still exist in New York/New Jersey area to this day. I guess the thought was, if it has side windows, then it's not a commercial vehicle and hence the commercial vehicle restrictions don't apply. Ha!

As Parkways were purchased by small companies that did deliveries in restrictive suburban areas; many of the Travellers were purchased by the US Forest Service or Border Patrol. Also, the 4x4 Traveller had an optional second tank behind the driver, a roof-mounted spare tire rack, and a diamond plate step between the rear bumper and the barn doors. I believe Paul Barry also said that the Traveller is the only one that has the decorative chrome side pieces.

I may have missed something, but I think those are the basic differences between the Parkway Conversion and the Traveller.

Here's a stellar example of a 1963 Traveller of Jim (@3shooter) here on OWF:

index.php

index.php

index.php

You may have seen Jim's Traveller at SEMA a few years ago.

Question 5: How do I find a Traveller to buy?

Answer:
Good question. They only made a few hundred for each year 1960-1964 and even by Willys standards, they led a rough life. Talking to a currently Traveller owner is one start - or any Willys owner for that matter. ewillys.com is also a great source: You may try ewillys if you haven't already: http://www.ewillys.com/tag/traveller/

To paraphrase Elvis, a little less conversation, a little more pictures please. :)
Tough crowd... ha!

index.php

Here's my 1964 Traveller. You can see the optional driver's side fuel tank:
1964 Willys Traveller August 2020.jpg
Here's one in a field in Washington State. Unknown year (1960-1964/5):
Willys Traveller WA State (3).JPG
And an interior shot of the same one in Washington:
index.php

Here's a 1962 2wd Traveller with the 230 OHC (at one time):
1962 Willys Traveller 2wd 02.jpg
Same 1962 2wd Traveller; this pic shows the interior spare tire rack behind the driver's seat:
1962 Willys Traveller 2wd 19.jpg

1962 Willys Traveller 2wd 06.jpg
Here's a 1960 4wd Traveller at Willys America in July 2005. Note the fixed side windows. The ones above have sliding side windows, albeit much more flush than a "regular" Willys Wagon:
Willys Traveller 1961 Willys America 2006.jpg
Update: the black Traveller above belongs to OWF member @gimbelsjeep. Sweet Traveller.

The
So what happened to your roof rack Dan?
Good question. The person in Texas who did the interior and exterior "upgrade" after buying it from the Border Patrol removed it. I bought one from a nice guy up in Washington State. Just have to go get it.

Last edited:
Back