1953 Willys Truck windshield removal and repairs and door repairs windows and locks

RunningBare

Gear Grinder
Apr 13, 2017
WA
First Name
Lorne
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1955
I am working on My 53 Truck and need to remove windshield glass and frames to repair rust and referub.. Anyone have some steps that have worked for them.

I also need to rework window glass and Regulators and complete door latch system. Any guidance on the best methods of removal.

I am working on My 53 Truck and need to remove windshield glass and frames to repair rust and referub.. Anyone have some steps that have worked for them.

I also need to rework window glass and Regulators and complete door latch system. Any guidance on the best methods of removal.

Usually the rubber is so old it just crumbs. Just keep breaking it off and don't let the glass fall.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK how about the reinstall of glass in the 53 truck. I have done my CJ5 before but took 2 tries OUch.

..Hey Lorne..

.Allright here,...have a look at Davids site......http://www.jeep-trucks.com/index.php...on=disassembly..... It is a virtually step by step tutorial done by a fellow Forum member....on how to disassemble and reassemble your doors .... some of the pics and explanations are missing but most of the information is there to the point to allow you to figure things out...
This along with a few other sections of the truck ...you could also locate a Willys service manual and it will give you the general guidelines on how to install your windshield.
I installed the windshield in my 51 truck by myself although it took me 3 months and 30 attempts to do so .....the doors were pretty simple and straightforward ... only piece of glass that I have not installed in my truck is the rear window since it was already in place when I bought the truck so no need to replace yet.

To remove the windshield glass you simply take a small flat blade screwdriver on the outside of the windshield upper edge of the rubber and put the screwdriver under the rubber flange and pull it down and basically push the rubber into the cab a little at a time working your way across the top and down the sides a bit you will get to a point where you will have the glass and gasket loose and you simply push it in as the windshield goes into the cab for removal. it is the same for glass installation the windshield goes in from the inside only. It would be very helpful if you had a helper to help you remove the glass so that it does not fall in when you push the rubber gasket in. Same for installation I did mine by myself though it would have been better if I had an extra hand

So give that link a good read through and if you have any extra additional questions on anything don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this is of help to ya..!!!!

Larry

Last edited:
..Hey Lorne..

.Allright here,...have a look at Davids site......http://www.jeep-trucks.com/index.php...on=disassembly..... It is a virtually step by step tutorial done by a fellow Forum member....on how to disassemble and reassemble your doors .... some of the pics and explanations are missing but most of the information is there to the point to allow you to figure things out...
This along with a few other sections of the truck ...you could also locate a Willys service manual and it will give you the general guidelines on how to install your windshield.
I installed the windshield in my 51 truck by myself although it took me 3 months and 30 attempts to do so .....the doors were pretty simple and straightforward ... only piece of glass that I have not installed in my truck is the rear window since it was already in place when I bought the truck so no need to replace yet.

To remove the windshield glass you simply take a small flat blade screwdriver on the outside of the windshield upper edge of the rubber and put the screwdriver under the rubber flange and pull it down and basically push the rubber into the cab a little at a time working your way across the top and down the sides a bit you will get to a point where you will have the glass and gasket loose and you simply push it in as the windshield goes into the cab for removal. it is the same for glass installation the windshield goes in from the inside only. It would be very helpful if you had a helper to help you remove the glass so that it does not fall in when you push the rubber gasket in. Same for installation I did mine by myself though it would have been better if I had an extra hand

So give that link a good read through and if you have any extra additional questions on anything don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this is of help to ya..!!!!

Larry
That's an excellent resource, thank you for posting the link.

Easiest way to remove old rubber mounted glass, and a method used by glaziers for years, is to use a razor knife, cut the rubber about 3/8 " from the edge touching the glass,(on the outside) gently tap the glass from the inside and it will pop out. A spray of silicon helps the job go easier. Old rubber cannot be reused, it is brittle and you will break the glass trying. I have used this method for years with 100% SUCCESS. What you are doing is, in effect, removing the beadlock strip.

Easiest way to remove old rubber mounted glass, and a method used by glaziers for years, is to use a razor knife, cut the rubber about 3/8 " from the edge touching the glass,(on the outside) gently tap the glass from the inside and it will pop out. A spray of silicon helps the job go easier. Old rubber cannot be reused, it is brittle and you will break the glass trying. I have used this method for years with 100% SUCCESS. What you are doing is, in effect, removing the beadlock strip.

That is.. only if that particular gasket even has the beadlock strip in it to begin with......the windshield gasket on my 51 truck does not have it....glass is held in by tight press fit and friction ....no beadlock strip .......now i know some of the later models do have that beadlock strip....though i have never seen one so dont know what i would be looking at or how it is installed or removed for that matter.

Larry

That is.. only if that particular gasket even has the beadlock strip in it to begin with......the windshield gasket on my 51 truck does not have it....glass is held in by tight press fit and friction ....no beadlock strip .......now i know some of the later models do have that beadlock strip....though i have never seen one so dont know what i would be looking at or how it is installed or removed for that matter.

Larry
OK, no matter what kind of rubber gasket material is used, all glass sits in a "U" channel within the rubber. If you cut the outer wall of that channel, you are left with a "J". The glass comes out, as there is only one side of the rubber against the glass. If you look carefully, the "beadlock" is most probably a flap moulded into the rubber, which is stretched and pops into a groove, holding the glass tightly. Beadlocks are not always separate pieces pushed into the gasket. There are 3 simple hand tools to install and remove auto glass, besides the bone, a plastic stick with tapered ends. Look at the CR Laurence website, under auto glass, you will see clear profiles of what rubber gasket material you have. It can be very instructional. They also sell the simple hand tools for glass installation. "A picture is worth a thousand words."
Lance

Back