Antelope, ca
First Name
Cierra
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1952
Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has made their own headliner for a '52 Willys pickup?

I want to make my own but don't know where to start or what to do. So curious if anyone has any advice?

Anything is appreciated!

Thank you!

captainlance has a bit on one of his posts on how he makes headliners. His work is very clean and classy.

There are some options out there to buy but they are super expensive for what they are in my humble opinion, but time is $ so depending on the amount of time you have available it might be worth it.

Here is a full-formed headliner that would just push right in but ouch is it expensive: 1

There's several posts on here about headliners, they're not that difficult to do. I looked at the formed headliner that was available and decided to build my own. I made patterns out of cardboard then cut the actual headliner out of thin laminate plywood and covered it with headliner material with insulation for backing.headliner.JPG. There's some excellent you tube available. It's not perfect but it's good enough to suit me, I'm still working on the door posts and back.

There's several posts on here about headliners, they're not that difficult to do. I looked at the formed headliner that was available and decided to build my own. I made patterns out of cardboard then cut the actual headliner out of thin laminate plywood and covered it with headliner material with insulation for backing.View attachment 90229. There's some excellent you tube available. It's not perfect but it's good enough to suit me, I'm still working on the door posts and back.
That's very nice, I hope I can do something similar in my wagon

There's several posts on here about headliners, they're not that difficult to do. I looked at the formed headliner that was available and decided to build my own. I made patterns out of cardboard then cut the actual headliner out of thin laminate plywood and covered it with headliner material with insulation for backing.View attachment 90229. There's some excellent you tube available. It's not perfect but it's good enough to suit me, I'm still working on the door posts and back.

Wow that looks amazing! Thank you for describing the material. I am going to have to check all that out. I really appreciate the advice

captainlance has a bit on one of his posts on how he makes headliners. His work is very clean and classy.

There are some options out there to buy but they are super expensive for what they are in my humble opinion, but time is $ so depending on the amount of time you have available it might be worth it.

Here is a full-formed headliner that would just push right in but ouch is it expensive: 1
Thank you so much! I think I am going to go with creating my own. I want to make this truck special :) If I can make it then I will take time to do it :p

Thank you for showing me that guys work. I will definitely be using those threads.

The overhead piece is the key, it needs to large enough to reach front and back and each side over the doors. It has to be flexible enough to be able to get it in place. The front and back pieces will support the overhead piece. The pieces over the doors will support on the sides. I have a roof mount spotlight so it anchors the center of the overhead. If I was doing another one I would glue a block in center of the overhead, then install a dome light which would then support the overhead panel In the center. I Put 1” of insulation in everywhere I could. These Texas summers get hot!

It’s really a pretty simple project, but takes time, I had to recut my patterns a couple times.

The overhead piece is the key, it needs to large enough to reach front and back and each side over the doors. It has to be flexible enough to be able to get it in place. The front and back pieces will support the overhead piece. The pieces over the doors will support on the sides. I have a roof mount spotlight so it anchors the center of the overhead. If I was doing another one I would glue a block in center of the overhead, then install a dome light which would then support the overhead panel In the center. I Put 1” of insulation in everywhere I could. These Texas summers get hot!

It’s really a pretty simple project, but takes time, I had to recut my patterns a couple times.
In your picture, is the top all the way down to the bottom of the visors? the sides go under the top piece? Not sure you use 5 pieces or 4, Looks so nice and professional. Have a 48 and 53 pickup to replace, the 48 has a cloth kind of liner.

Hey guys,

Just curious if anyone has made their own headliner for a '52 Willys pickup?

I want to make my own but don't know where to start or what to do. So curious if anyone has any advice?

Anything is appreciated!

Thank you!
I had a 51 wagon in 1966 and was at the same cross road regarding the headliner. I glued carpet as a headliner. It was warmer, quieter, perfect!! Until I picked my date up for the senior prom and it rained dirt on her at every bump

TGer are 5 pieces
In your picture, is the top all the way down to the bottom of the visors? the sides go under the top piece? Not sure you use 5 pieces or 4, Looks so nice and professional. Have a 48 and 53 pickup to replace, the 48 has a cloth kind of liner.
There are 5 pieces to the liner. The top piece is large enough to cover from over the doors on each side, over the dome light in front, and almost to the back of the overhead over the back window. The front panel reaches from below the sunvisors to up behind the dome light. This pieces pushes up against the top piece and holds it in place. The screws in the light and visors hold the front panel. The pieces over the doors push up against the top panel and hold it on the sides. The back panel rests on the ledge over the back window and pushes up against the top to hold it in place at the back. I tried to minimize the exposed screws but I may have to go back and put a couple more in. The spotlight anchors the center, but center dome light could be installed to provide the center anchor. I took a couple more pictures, maybe they will show better how it goes together.

IMG_8821 II.JPGIMG_8822 II.JPGIMG_8827 II.JPGIMG_8829 II.JPG

TGer are 5 pieces

There are 5 pieces to the liner. The top piece is large enough to cover from over the doors on each side, over the dome light in front, and almost to the back of the overhead over the back window. The front panel reaches from below the sunvisors to up behind the dome light. This pieces pushes up against the top piece and holds it in place. The screws in the light and visors hold the front panel. The pieces over the doors push up against the top panel and hold it on the sides. The back panel rests on the ledge over the back window and pushes up against the top to hold it in place at the back. I tried to minimize the exposed screws but I may have to go back and put a couple more in. The spotlight anchors the center, but center dome light could be installed to provide the center anchor. I took a couple more pictures, maybe they will show better how it goes together.

View attachment 90810View attachment 90811View attachment 90812View attachment 90813

Thanks so much, I think yours looks very cool and professional, and who cares about a few screws, they are every where on a Willys. Was trying to find some kind of material to use other than plywood, think I found something from my partners sister, she has a a boat top business. Again thanks so much for the new pics and info. Douglas

I had a 51 wagon in 1966 and was at the same cross road regarding the headliner. I glued carpet as a headliner. It was warmer, quieter, perfect!! Until I picked my date up for the senior prom and it rained dirt on her at every bump
What we did years ago, now that's funny, every thing other than that work out?

Back