1950 Willys PU Rebuild

JBingham

Bigger Hammer
Dec 18, 2009
Ozark, Alabama
I figured I ought to start a thread for the truck, tear down won't begin until spring, but there is a lot of planning, and gathering to be done until then! Comments, as always, are welcome!

Well..I was going to post pictures, but I guess my pictures are to large to fit, even with trying to link from photobucket. So here is the link to look at the pics if you'd like.

http://s874.photobucket.com/albums/ab307/Jbingham/

That looks to be in very good shape!
Looks like you got all the original parts to complete it. What have you decided to do about the engine?

Congrats... Is that the one thta was on eBay?
I am in process of rebuilding a 54 PU w/226. Got in parts and pieces...
May need your help with photos of yours so I know how to put it back together!!

Attachments

• Willys3.gif
    Willys3.gif
    17 KB · Views: 284
  • Willys3.gif
    Willys3.gif
    17 KB · Views: 282
Justin,
Just in case you don't have a clean title for it, I have an extra one for a 50 truck. Also have the original metal VIN plate to match.

Thats the one Greg! But I'll tell you what, I seem to have to learn everything the hard way...the truck isn't in as good condition as the guy made it sound, I mean, all the parts are there, except the original bed, but I knew that already. All the glass is broke, the brakes are completely shot, the starter went out almost immediately, and steering is only a vague suggestion. Ah well, still better then some. If you need any pics or anything let me know, all the pics I took are pretty high quality, but if you need a pic of something specific, I'll try to get one.

Well, as for the drivetrain, The guy who is very kindly storing the truck for me this winter, has a complete drivetrain out of a '79 Dodge pickup I can have for 1500 bucks. So I'm torn.

The goal is for it to be a daily driver, so it has to be reliable, and get better mileage then my 92 F-150. That shouldn't be hard, being as the straight six in the Ford is getting maybe 12 right now...I hate winter. If I can get away with it, I wouldn't mind keeping the axles it has, if they can put up with highway speeds, and light off road adventures. Is it possible to change the gear ratio in them? If I remember correctly, they are about 4.88 right now?

Come to think of it, I need to check on the whole title situation on this beast...

I need some humble yet accurate opinions! :cheers:

You mean there is another way to learn other than the hard way? Wow! I may have to try that one day..............

Sometimes I feel like my destiny is to serve as an example to others ....on how NOT to do it :mrgreen:

Seems like there are a few on here now ( myself included) who want to have daily drivers, or as close as possible. Unfortunaltely I think most of us are still working on the "driver" part before we can even get to the "daily". Hopefully we can get some feedback soon as to how well things hold up. Mine has a chevy motor w/stock drivetrain and overdrive. I plan on useing it often for trips tp the beach and around town so as soon as I get it going I will be happy to give feedback.

As for opinions....personally I want to try to keep mine pretty original but functional and safe. I am going to use the stock setup as long as it works because (1) it is already in there and I am limitied on $$ and knowledge/ability and (2) I think it is kind of cool to have something that old still around and working.

Good luck!

I like the truck by the way. :beer:

I think right now, here is the setup I'd like...

4.3L V6, five speed manual transmission mated to a Dana Spicer 20, running the stock axles. Here are the issues I see...

-I have yet to find a five speed that links with the Spicer 20. Let alone combining that combo of engine, tranny and tc.

- The stock gear ratio in the axles is ridiculous for a daily driver. Can it be changed? From what I hear, its hard enough just to find normal parts for the Timken(?) rear axle.

Has anyone finished a daily driver truck/wagon yet?

I was surfing around looking at different data, and I think your right BioTex. The Timken might have to go. But, I do have the front and rear 44s out of the 1979 Dodge pickup. So...should I cut them to fit, and figure out how to hang stock wheels on them with disc brakes( trying to at least look stock here!), or is there a better solution I'm missing?

The problem USING other axles is the width of them, I didn't want my wheels sticking out like they didn't belong to the Wagon...I found '76 Intl. Scout II Dana 44's to be 60" from Wheel Mounting Surface to Surface...Original Wagon is 59 1/2". But with me and others changing the axles out should provide anyone that sticks with the original axle plenty of replacements, if you like the 4.27 Ratio.

SO, it looks liek there might be a change of plans due to various factors, and the orginal drivetrain may have to stay in for a couple more years. However, it will be driveable...one way or another. So here are some questions, if the OE stays in place...

Is it worth the conversion to 12volt, and how much roughly will converting everything cost?

What tires do you guys recommend running with the stock rims?

Has anyone had any experience with kits or parts from Kaiser Willys?

Does anyone else have any tips or tricks for attempting to use the stock truck for daily driving? (I know, its not a great idea, but things might get real rough in a couple months, and it might be my only vehicle by then)

As always thanks for the input!

So, I have an interesting dilemma. I finally after a long time of searching, I found a box for the '50. I'm going to pick it up over Valentines weekend. However, my daily driver isn't the sturdiest of beasts. If there is anyone between Minnesota and Ohio who would be willing to give me a hand in case my F-150 explodes in an epic fashion on this journey, shoot me an e-mail. I just want to know if there are any safe harbors I can try to limp to if worst comes to worst!

Been a long time eh?

Well, due to many different factors, one of the biggest being I moved halfway across the country, I think I might go ahead and sell the truck. I suppose I will let fate decide, it is currently sitting in Minnesota, so if anyone is interested in it let me know. Otherwise I will pick it up and bring it down here to Alabama sometime this summer and figure out its future from there.

JBingham said:
Been a long time eh?

Well, due to many different factors, one of the biggest being I moved halfway across the country, I think I might go ahead and sell the truck. I suppose I will let fate decide, it is currently sitting in Minnesota, so if anyone is interested in it let me know. Otherwise I will pick it up and bring it down here to Alabama sometime this summer and figure out its future from there.

Hope you can figure out a way to keep it...

Pete

As we have discussed your problem to great deal...throw your love out the window....sell it up there, minimize your loss and purchase a vehicle down in the south. Sometimes stepping back wards and reviewing the situation is better than charging ahead, just ask Custer. Besides your willy's pick-up truck's life has spent more time on a trailer behind your truck...it's time to find a new trucker and their trailer. The good news, which ever way you go, I'll still help you out when I can. :cheers:

Hold your horses cowboys, after seeing the pictures of your project P/U....I can see the "love"....you might want to keep the old girl after all...it shows some potential...and it is white! ...like my wagon.

It is finally coming down next week, so if you ever make it out to the house, you can see it in person! We will see what condition it is in now, havent seen it myself in a few years...

Back