Jan 28, 2017
New York
First Name
John
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I just had the rear end of my Jeepster rebuilt and I have a good amount of play in the rear driver side axle shaft. When you take the drums off and move the shaft back and forth it moves probably a half inch in and out. Not sure of I need to open the rear back up and need to some how shim between the shaft and spider gear or what. Has anyone else had any issues like this, or any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That's definitely not normal, plus dangerous. Do you know what (brand and style) axle it is? I know that a lot of Jeepster parts are not interchangeable with the 4WD stuff so the info on the rear axle could vary. Either way, all that play suggests that a retainer (C-clip style?) is missing or the spacer that the shafts push against isn't there.

Last edited:
I think the only thing you should do is to return to the place who rebuilt it and ask them why it's that way. Once you open it up and start messing with it, it relieves them of all liability.

They shimmed it wrong, or the spacer you made was too short. It's a tapered Spicer axle, just not a 44, so the axle design is the same, just different size.
diggerG

Back