1948 pickup restoration questions

4stevens9

Gear Grinder
Feb 5, 2011
Willys Model
Willys Year:
Researching factory original specs for my 1948 pickup project: 2WD, column shift, Serial 21151, Luzon Red (correct). Thanks for your input. Jim near Chicago

1. What was factory color for steering wheel and steering column

2. Mine has only driver side wiper, with what appears to be an original passenger side
wiper tower plug. Rare?
3. Mine is wired for single taillight, driver side. Rare?

4. Upholstery that appears to be Spanish Red fabric.

5. Beige cloth headliner. Yes/No

6. Cab outside door handle is keyed on passenger side only.

7. Mine has one driver side visor, what was original color?

8. Interior windlace and wire-on same color as truck?

Jim,
First off welcome to the forum.

Good questions..... I know some of specifics where what ever was on the shelf.....

Let's see some pics...

Some of the color questions can be answered with what color you think is gonna be best.....

Hey Jim,
Welcome to the nut house. ;)
Can't help with all your questions but can speculate about a couple of them, not in order.

Numbers three and seven. I have a 48 cj2a with drivers side tail light only. Right was an option. My 51 pickup also has only drivers side tail light. I believe this was standard equipment for the time. My truck also has drive side visor only, no evidence of fancy covering/color. Have been wondering about this myself.

Number six, safer to get in/out on passenger side so key on that door only. I think others will chime in to confirm this. It is the situation on my truck and wagons.

Number five, headliner in later trucks was a short piece of material simular to door panels installed just above the windshield. Maybe six inches or so wide. Most of headliner was just inside of roof panel.

My 48 is only keyed on the drivers side. All sites say it was standard. I have no tail lights. All interior is MIA and a 56 Chevey stearing collum sorry no other answers.

Question of my own my doors are missing the inerior latch assembly. I was wondering how to fab some or buy it. Any ideas? And any pics?

The early ones only had one tail light. They were the only trucks to have a real headliner also. All truck wheels and columns I have seen are black.

Lef13 said:
My 48 is only keyed on the drivers side. All sites say it was standard. I have no tail lights. All interior is MIA and a 56 Chevey stearing collum sorry no other answers.

Question of my own my doors are missing the inerior latch assembly. I was wondering how to fab some or buy it. Any ideas? And any pics?

Door latches were the same for the whole run on trucks and wagons. The interior mechanism changed from a pushbutton to a turn lever, but either style will work the same. Look on Ebay, door parts come up fairly often, and except the last set of NOS ones go for reasonable prices.

cnsay said:
Lef13 said:

Door latches were the same for the whole run on trucks and wagons. The interior mechanism changed from a pushbutton to a turn lever, but either style will work the same. Look on Ebay, door parts come up fairly often, and except the last set of NOS ones go for reasonable prices.

Thanks! :thumbupleft:

Back