OWF calendar photo preview thread

Carter, did you lift your wagon or is this just foreshortening of the photo?

Carter, did you lift your wagon or is this just foreshortening of the photo?

The previous owner installed Rancho springs and shocks, so yes, it is lifted. This comes in handy occasionally, but my preference would be something closer to the stock height. This is a little too high for my taste, but I don't feel like spending the money to buy new stock springs when these work fine.

Ok for what it is worth.......

Here are a few pics that were taken while attending the 2019 10Th Annual Willys Rally in Moab UT....

these were taken while out on the Fins n Things Trail............during our attempt to catch rest of group.... after having to bail out at the start due to battery failure .....raced into town got new battery and hauled ass back ......by then every one had already left .....leaving us wondering...

Hmmmm.......Ok Now which way did they go George..?? .....well i guess i'm gunna go this way and see what i find....

IMG_20190525_113626319.jpg,.......

IMG_20190525_113628545.jpg..........

IMG_20190525_113631677.jpg.........
Pic below was taken in Monument Valley on way to Moab....

IMG_20190524_100859110.jpg.....
these are few shots i have for possible calendar ...dont know what else i should look for in the 600 pics i took of trip or 1000s i have during in progress build.......i have basic idea ...but dont know what makes it good or bad as i dont really know exactly what i am looking at or for.

Larry

Composition-wise, the bottom picture is stronger. The subject is close and bold and the background has well-defined features. Also, framing is stronger with the truck entering from one side and having room in front, in the direction of movement, where the mesas are. I think it could benefit from a slight crop of the left and top edges, to remove weaker elements of the picture, while preserving the aspect ratio.

The other pictures could probably be made stronger with strategic cropping, assuming the resolution will allow it without having the focus get “soft.”

I’m no expert, but I worked at a newspaper once upon a time for a few years, and some of these basic elements of composition were drilled in by the senior editors as we selected pictures to go in the paper. That said, Pete has one the best photographic eyes on this site, and I would defer to whatever advice he cares to give.

Here’s an example of how one might be cropped to be a bit stronger, in my opinion.

Attachments

• C49B42D3-DD69-49AC-8AAF-276AA9DDB700.jpeg
    C49B42D3-DD69-49AC-8AAF-276AA9DDB700.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:
Ok ...Thank you..!!

Now then how much to crop..?? like 1/2 inch or so or what ..?? i am thinking it is going to distort the image and change the aspect ratio making the image odd sized and unusable...then again i have never done photo editing so dont know what i am doing !!...as i typically do point and shoot pics without looking at background or lighting or anything as i never remember to look at it .....i see a possible pic of something.... i get it before it goes away.......hard to take good element pics when i live in and am surrounded by concrete steel jungle that would take many miles of driving to get away from...
So that is when we go up to Flagstaff for the 7th annual Willys Roundup in Sept....we are going to try to remember to go out and stage few pics with both of our trucks out in the forest someplace.... that and i dont know what good angles are...High,... Low..... birds eye,.. worms view.,...
full on,.... 3/4......or combination of all..?? i have a basic idea.... but am no Photo Journalist with Super Duper $5000 camera....make do with what i got.

Larry

Ok ...Thank you..!!

Now then how much to crop..?? like 1/2 inch or so or what ..?? i am thinking it is going to distort the image and change the aspect ratio making the image odd sized and unusable...then again i have never done photo editing so dont know what i am doing !!...as i typically do point and shoot pics without looking at background or lighting or anything as i never remember to look at it .....i see a possible pic of something.... i get it before it goes away.......hard to take good element pics when i live in and am surrounded by concrete steel jungle that would take many miles of driving to get away from...
So that is when we go up to Flagstaff for the 7th annual Willys Roundup in Sept....we are going to try to remember to go out and stage few pics with both of our trucks out in the forest someplace.... that and i dont know what good angles are...High,... Low..... birds eye,.. worms view.,...
full on,.... 3/4......or combination of all..?? i have a basic idea.... but am no Photo Journalist with Super Duper $5000 camera....make do with what i got.

Larry
When I said slight, I meant just a sliver.

Like this:

30CAF94F-FCBE-430D-8B61-467A5C2DC50F.jpeg

It just gets rid of a sliver of sky and of the far end of the mesas, where there was some visual clutter.

If you’re working with photos on your phone, there are some nice features that are fairly simple to use. For example, you can make a duplicate of a photo to preserve the original, in case you don’t like your edits.

When you go to crop, there is a feature that lets you set and/or preserve the aspect ratio.

My recommendation is to play with the features using some photos you don’t really care about. It’s fairly intuitive. Keep in mind, my instructions are based on experience with an iPhone, if you have something else it will be slightly different, but probably not much.

Looking at them now, I think I might like the first one I cropped a bit better. The stance of the truck is more interesting and it’s not on pavement. Pavement is almost never interesting. There are pros and cons for each.

I dunno, I’d be interested in what others think. That’s what this thread is for, to get some preliminary feedback and help us find our best pictures.

I really like all of them. The second photo is the most artistic, IMO, with the lights on and snow falling. Unfortunately you're sort of driving out of the frame. Because of the placement of the Willys in the photos, I'd have to say the 3rd photo is the best to submit.

Carter, I'm with Nathan, really like the one with the headlights on. The "driving out of the frame" Bob mentioned gives me a feeling of motion which I prefer over static posed. Can you P-shop a head shot in the driver's window?
So where do you live in the "Sierra Foothills"? I was up in Auburn last weekend and possibly heading to Bass Lake and Mariposa Saturday. Wouldn't mind meeting you and seeing your wagon. DM me with details if you like.
Won't be in my wagon though, look for the BAV (bigass van) with the old guy driving with the white dog on his lap... classic ;)
And Ken, drove right past you but didn't have details on your where-a-bouts; would have been a nice break from the lovely SJV!

I was hoping for a little more consensus around a single photo. :p

I guess it's true, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I guess I'll start.

Being kind of an amateur photographer I'm always willing to learn better methods. Much of what I read is to be aware of lighting position and quality, background, foreground, etc. Another is to "use your feet". Don't be afraid to walk around to get the perfect shot.
And don't expect to get it the first time. Professional photographers often take dozens of pictures to get one that works.

There are times of the day, those "perfect hours" when the lighting is best. Most prefer early dawn or late dusk, when the sun is almost at the horizon. This allows the light to reflect off the vehicle and highlight the body lines.
But, depending on the vehicle, a certain amount can be accomplished even at noon.

Other than the harsh shadow thrown by the mirror, I kind of like this shot. Advice is always welcome.

View attachment 55634

I wondered if your photo would benefit from a little crop, while maintaining the dimensions. I also increased the color saturation just a little. It was quick and dirty, What do you think?View attachment 55653
Love the photo of the truck but hate the road. How about same background but further off the road, with the road out of the photo?

Well, mine looks kind of cool in a non original way from far enough away. I like this 3/4 front view and straight side view the best. The side view has a busy background, but I like the view. I don't like the back view on this car, I also included a front high view. I'd take it without a flash so the plate wouldn't ruin it, and further back and centered. Opinions?

Attachments

• CIMG1344 (2).JPG
    CIMG1344 (2).JPG
    212.9 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG1347 (2).JPG
    CIMG1347 (2).JPG
    210.8 KB · Views: 21
  • CIMG1300 (2).JPG
    CIMG1300 (2).JPG
    203.4 KB · Views: 22
  • CIMG1348.JPG
    CIMG1348.JPG