Jul 12, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
First Name
Mark
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I am beginning to work on my Jeepster... again. This time with a goal to get her on the road this year just in time for her 70th birthday. I have owned her for 48 years, bringing her home when I was 15 and she was 21. (But very original and tired.)

I am converting the original Planar drum brakes to disc, during which, I am starting the registration process here in AZ. While living in California, I removed the WO ID serial number plate to restore it. Bad idea, as it ended up in a box during the hectic move and yet to be found.

I ordered one from Kaiser Willys, but it doesn't look right. (See #4) Can one of you share a picture of your's (Okay to tape over your S/N). I seem to remember it being the white version #1.

Could you please share a pic, and comment on your level of confidence of originality. Please vote on the attached collage of styles, 1 thru 4, and why you picked. My vote is for #1, based on my memory and the oxidized condition of the plate and rusty screws that held it in place under the dash.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 4 square.jpg
    4 square.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 41
Mark
I think none of them are correct.
First I believe Willys used the same plate for all Jeep vehicles manufactured in a single model year, at least in earlier years. I lookd through my bunch of plates and came up with this (unproven) explanation.
I have 1 kind of plate that was used for the CJ2A (late) CJ3A (early, 35,000 range) 463 and 4x463, which sounds to me to be 1948 - 49. I have no VJ plates.
The closest to it is #1, but there are only 5 patent numbers on it. The "D" number on the bottom row right is not there. And it has (had) a black background.
#2 is the one used with the prefixes 451, 452 etc. which tells me 1950 and up.
That's all I got.
Maybe someone else will have a better idea.
diggerG

No. 1 is very similar, if not exactly, like our 1949 except for color. Mine has been painted over and I’ve hesitated to remove the paint because the original color might be removed. The back is gray and, from research, I think black was the original. Attached are copies of ours.

Attachments

• AF795205-1F31-4042-A5EB-2CF17A932AEE.png
    AF795205-1F31-4042-A5EB-2CF17A932AEE.png
    215.6 KB · Views: 34
  • DD40452A-F60D-45E2-BCC8-5811271CFA4F.png
    DD40452A-F60D-45E2-BCC8-5811271CFA4F.png
    327 KB · Views: 34
The gentleman who runs Dataplates4u.com is very knowledgeable. I'd ask him/confirm what his website says: (note: the later "Jeepster" plates are actually for the 1967-1971 Jeepster Commando.)

4UPicJeepsterStyle1.jpg

4UPicJeepsterStyle2.jpg

I am beginning to work on my Jeepster... again. This time with a goal to get her on the road this year just in time for her 70th birthday. I have owned her for 48 years, bringing her home when I was 15 and she was 21. (But very original and tired.)

I am converting the original Planar drum brakes to disc, during which, I am starting the registration process here in AZ. While living in California, I removed the WO ID serial number plate to restore it. Bad idea, as it ended up in a box during the hectic move and yet to be found.

I ordered one from Kaiser Willys, but it doesn't look right. (See #4) Can one of you share a picture of your's (Okay to tape over your S/N). I seem to remember it being the white version #1.

Could you please share a pic, and comment on your level of confidence of originality. Please vote on the attached collage of styles, 1 thru 4, and why you picked. My vote is for #1, based on my memory and the oxidized condition of the plate and rusty screws that held it in place under the dash.

Thanks in advance.

Pic 1. The Willys Overland script is the same as on my ‘ 49’s plate. The color is the same. The serial number line on mine has 4-63 then the serial number.

I seriously do not know on the Jeepster. I assume that Willys used the same data plate for all models and the stamped numbers and letters identify what model Willys it is. Did they stamp "VJ" as a prefix? The only 2 Jeepsters I ever had a guy bought all the do dads off them including the VIN plates.
diggerG

Jason et.al. Your picture is exactly the same (except the last 5 digits of the VIN) as on my newly acquired original 48 Jeepster, including all the patent numbers.

Back