CJ-3A Build of "The Yellow Jeep" w Auto Shop Help

That's when I get some of my best ideas too! Please save a chunk for me; I'm pretty sure that even my "good" steering wheel needs some mending.
Hey Scott if you end up with any more pieces of the “plastic” after sending any out I would like it. I have a digger wheel that is in tough shape that I want to try and restore. Let me know.
Bitz

Hey Scott if you end up with any more pieces of the “plastic” after sending any out I would like it. I have a digger wheel that is in tough shape that I want to try and restore. Let me know.
Bitz
Sure thing. Send me your address and we’ll get a piece in the mail for you

That's when I get some of my best ideas too! Please save a chunk for me; I'm pretty sure that even my "good" steering wheel needs some mending.
Jeff: Send me your contact info and I'll put a piece of the acetate plastic in the mail for you.

If Jeff needs them all no issue with me getting any.
Thanks Jim, but from what I’ve seen about the process (links posted up thread) one of those bigger chunks will go a long way. Also, based on Vintage Don’s experience we can try epoxy as a filler too. Maybe stretch it with an epoxy base repair and then cover that with the acetate for appearance? I haven’t tried it yet, but am looking forward to seeing how it goes.

Major milestone today on my "lunch hour" - the body tub is off!

This was one of those exercises where you ask yourself, "how far can I go on my own before needing to get more bodies on this?"
Having a "come along" ratchet pulley and two piano dollys was a big help.

First, lifting the front end last night to clear the steering column and gear shifts:IMG_5045-sm.JPG
IMG_5046-sm.JPG

Continuing today - lifting the front while pushing the tub back until it gently laid it's tail down on the ground.
IMG_5049-sm.JPG
IMG_5050-sm.JPG
IMG_5051-sm.JPG

Sorry no photos of leaning the tub on its side onto the dolly - the balancing act was precarious, especially when a dolly wheel went off the concrete into the planter. But careful leverage and gentleness won the day.

The tubs temporary home in the backyard under a pop-up tent. Yard art anyone?!
IMG_5052-sm.JPG
IMG_5054-sm.JPG

Now the frame is fully exposed for closer inspection. But that will have to wait until another time - need to get some plans to UPS to be resubmitted to the bldg. dept. (The rear bumper is certainly not original. Any ideas of what it looks like it might come off of?)
IMG_5056-sm.JPG
IMG_5057-sm.JPG
IMG_5055-sm (2).JPG

Good work getting that tub off by yourself. The Willys Trucks offered a Dock Bumper option , but they had a different name for it.

And thank you Joe and Rodney for the compliments. It is always interesting when you try something that you think will work, but you aren't 100% sure. Of course, that applies to this entire project!

Major milestone today on my "lunch hour" - the body tub is off!

This was one of those exercises where you ask yourself, "how far can I go on my own before needing to get more bodies on this?"
Having a "come along" ratchet pulley and two piano dollys was a big help.

First, lifting the front end last night to clear the steering column and gear shifts:View attachment 107333
View attachment 107334

Continuing today - lifting the front while pushing the tub back until it gently laid it's tail down on the ground.
View attachment 107335
View attachment 107336
View attachment 107337

Sorry no photos of leaning the tub on its side onto the dolly - the balancing act was precarious, especially when a dolly wheel went off the concrete into the planter. But careful leverage and gentleness won the day.

The tubs temporary home in the backyard under a pop-up tent. Yard art anyone?!
View attachment 107338
View attachment 107339

Now the frame is fully exposed for closer inspection. But that will have to wait until another time - need to get some plans to UPS to be resubmitted to the bldg. dept. (The rear bumper is certainly not original. Any ideas of what it looks like it might come off of?)
View attachment 107340
View attachment 107341
View attachment 107342
Geez Scott. You have way more confidence in the hook/bolt setup then me. I have a similar step up in my garage and could run similar but not sure I would trust it once moving.

Further evidence that this vehicle started out as a DJ-3A. Attached to the bottom of the steering shaft - immediately above the steering box - is some hardware that I believe received the bottom of the rods for the shifter-on-the-column mechanism. If someone can prove me wrong about this, I'm all ears.
IMG_5067-sm.JPG

IMG_5066-sm.JPG

IMG_5065-sm.JPG

Someone on the Forum was looking for that 2 bolt clamp that holds the bracket to the steering column.

Bubba welds: Is there a thread for the worst ever welds found on a Jeep? If not, maybe we should start one. As noted by one commentator above, a weld doesn't have to look good to be effective. But when weld metal is piled high to the point of being maybe 1.5" thick . . .
I found this repair to the frame after the tub was removed. Doesn't look bad at all from the outside, but on the inside . . .
IMG_5063-sm.JPG

With the flash on . . .
IMG_5062-sm.JPG

with flash off . . .
IMG_5061-sm.JPG

Bubba welds: Is there a thread for the worst ever welds found on a Jeep? If not, maybe we should start one. As noted by one commentator above, a weld doesn't have to look good to be effective. But when weld metal is piled high to the point of being maybe 1.5" thick . . .
I found this repair to the frame after the tub was removed. Doesn't look bad at all from the outside, but on the inside . . .
View attachment 107363

With the flash on . . .
View attachment 107364

with flash off . . .
View attachment 107365
In some circles they call that Bird Sh!!. Weld

Geez Scott. You have way more confidence in the hook/bolt setup then me. I have a similar step up in my garage and could run similar but not sure I would trust it once moving.
Well, I will admit that the cable hook into the angle iron bolt hole was not as sound a connection as one would want. I started out with it connected to the opposite side where the U-bolt is positioned, but the cable angle was too much and moved the hook to where it ended up for a more vertical cable. As far as the capacity of the 3/4" bolts thru the glulam beam - well those are calculations I run in my business, so was not concerned about that capacity.

View attachment 107363

With the flash on . . .
View attachment 107364

with flash off . . .
View attachment 107365
I call those booger welds.

I highly advise grinding those out and getting a good welder to fix that and the other Bubba fixes.

And yes, there has been occasional chatter of a Bubba thread.

Back