Dec 20, 2020
Costa Mesa, CA
First Name
Mike
Willys Model
  1. Jeepster
Willys Year:
  1. 1949
I have a 49 Jeepster, all original. I am not mechanically inclined. The car is great fun. It is in decent running condition but requires Herculian effort to turn, lot of pressure required to brake, and it rides like a covered wagon. I'm considering converting/upgrading to power assist steering and braking and redoing the suspension so the ride is better, etc. I'm in Orange County, CA any suggestions on repair shops that can handle this? Any suggestions on the modifications to use? Thanks

I believe that you can put a mustangs II suspension kit in the front that incorporates a rack and pinion steering and disk brakes. Search for this with willys attached to find shops or vendors. I am sure someone has done something like that on the forum .

I believe that you can put a mustangs II suspension kit in the front that incorporates a rack and pinion steering and disk brakes. Search for this with willys attached to find shops or vendors. I am sure someone has done something like that on the forum .
Thank you

I have a 49 Jeepster, all original. I am not mechanically inclined. The car is great fun. It is in decent running condition but requires Herculian effort to turn, lot of pressure required to brake, and it rides like a covered wagon. I'm considering converting/upgrading to power assist steering and braking and redoing the suspension so the ride is better, etc. I'm in Orange County, CA any suggestions on repair shops that can handle this? Any suggestions on the modifications to use? Thanks
i just had a Heidts Mustang II front suspension installed on my '51 Jeepster. It was done in a shop here in Orange County. The car is a work in progress and won't be on the road until July or August.

Attachments

• m2 6.jpg
    m2 6.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 23
What's the name of the shop? Are you happy with their work, etc.? Thanks
the shop doesn't really have a name that i know of. i do know the owners name and number. since i can't drive it right now i can only tell you that it looks good and the measurements seem to be accurate. finding someone to do the M II swap was a bit more challenging than i expected. i had a different shop flake out on me and another shop said they could do it but it would be at least 6 months before they could get to it.

the shop that did mine had about a 2 week wait time and he had it about 1 and a half weeks. i used the kit with lower control arm struts (similar to a stock Mustang II) and most people use a strutless lower control.

I have recently purchased a complete drive train system out of a restored 1949 Jeepster. Complete front and rear axels with all new brakes. Rebuilt tranny with fresh overdrive. Four new tires on correct 15" powder coated rims with hubcap clips and more.Radiator and so much more. I just brought it all down from the LA area last Tuesday. Thought I could use it on my 47 Van/Truck project but the parts aren't interchangeable. If you need any of this stuff let me know. I'm only down here in San Diego.

Hey Mike
Saw an early Jeepster stopped/stuck on the left turn pocket on Michelson at Jamboree this evening (Irvine); was that you? Kinda primer red...
I'd enjoy meeting up with other OC Willys' owners, PM if you'd be into a coffee or beer stop.

I have recently purchased a complete drive train system out of a restored 1949 Jeepster. Complete front and rear axels with all new brakes. Rebuilt tranny with fresh overdrive. Four new tires on correct 15" powder coated rims with hubcap clips and more.Radiator and so much more. I just brought it all down from the LA area last Tuesday. Thought I could use it on my 47 Van/Truck project but the parts aren't interchangeable. If you need any of this stuff let me know. I'm only down here in San Diego.
What do you still have available? Thanks

Yes I do. I only needed the engine and tranny. Axels wheels etc all still available. If you want more details on what’s available I’ll put u in touch with my mechanic.

I am having steering problems - steers very hard and is not the king pins. Do you have good complete steering components for the front end? Trying to keep the Jeepster original. Also seeking 6 volt solenoid for the overdrive or where I can have mine rebuilt. Thanks!

When I first joined in 2020 I was looking for some power steering stuff and found a bunch of electric power steering that went under the dash, not hidden so there is that part, have not seen too much activity on that subject and they could have been older threads.

It could be a solution to keep it more original.

I would think it requires a decent steering system to start with like a good steering box and all the proper linkages sorted to be of value, power steering on top of worn out parts I think will be disappointing.

Back