'51 Wagon 4x4 Project

So, this showed up on my doorstep today...
M578 Gunner Seat
May have come out of one of these...
M578 Armored Recovery Vehicle
Piddlin' around with my 3D Model, the seat mounts on a steel track system.
My 3D Model Station Wagon
Much fun ahead for my shop guys.
I found an exploded Isometric parts list for this thing. The seat back rides on a rail system.
I think I can get a piece of tube steel and cut down the middle of one side, drill holes in the flange and voila!
A simple 3d model shows how it works. Spring loaded latch pin handle holds it in place. Floor and side wall mounted.
Seat Rail System 3d model

Last edited:
Slow Ride...Take it Easy.

Cleaned up and de-greased the AMC 360 V8 from the donor '89 Wagoneer. Lots of gunk, crud, acorns.
New plugs, plug wires, fuel pump, fuel filter, dist. cap, rotor, pickup, coil, gaskets.

Spray bombed it VHT Ford Blue and Black. I just like it better than a GM blue.
Not worried about overspray 'cuz I gotta pull the engine and shove it back eventually.
360 V8 Ford Blue Paint Refresh
Replaced nearly all of the vacuum lines and it has a load of 'em.
360 V8 with New Vacuum Lines
360 V8 New Vacuum Lines
All sorted out and at the ready.
AMC Powerplant fin
AMC Powerplant fin

Picked up a set of 35's for my daily Tundra but may decide to put them on the Waggy donor (w/lifted susp.).
Nitto Terra Grapplers 18"
Nitto Terra Grapplers 18"

I ended up putting the 35's on my Tundra w/3in front lift. Love the ride and stance.

Last edited:
How is this project going? I'm at the beginning of a similar endeavor.

51 Wagon, frame off. putting a vortec v6 in it.
I'm nearly finished with parting out the Wagoneer. I am prepping the frame for POR-15 Rust Paint. After that I will redo the entire brake lines, fuel lines. Then on to painting the axles. I intend to fire up the AMC 360 this Spring.

Very cool. I have my frame painted, I used Eastwoods version of POR-15.
I'm waiting for the weather to break here in NJ to assembly, suspension, and drive train. But it just keeps snowing.
New bushings in all the leaf springs, both axels rebuilt, adding disc brake conversion kits front and back, transmission rebuilt, changed oil seals in transfer case. I'll post a pick when frame and drive train are together.

Very cool. I have my frame painted, I used Eastwoods version of POR-15.
I'm waiting for the weather to break here in NJ to assembly, suspension, and drive train. But it just keeps snowing.
New bushings in all the leaf springs, both axels rebuilt, adding disc brake conversion kits front and back, transmission rebuilt, changed oil seals in transfer case. I'll post a pick when frame and drive train are together.

I prefer the Eastwood "Rust Encapsulater" to POR-15 as well, Andy. The main reason being that it isn't UV sensitive like POR-15 is, but I also like the semi gloss finish personally when compared to POR-15's almost ultra gloss.

The POR-15 comes in gloss black and semi-gloss black. They recommend a top coat to prevent UV damage if it's going to be in the sunlight.

Giving up the Ghost...

I've begun parting out my Wagon on flea bay. My state won't issue me a title so the project is dead.

I kept the entire grille as a memento for wall art. May look good against our new barn siding den wall.
It's a bit on the heavy side so I will probably hang it from ceiling joists with some cable.

Wagon Grille Wall Art
Barn Siding Den Wall

That's a bummer! There is always a "work around," but if you have already staarted selling, I won't waste my breath.

Giving up the Ghost...

I've begun parting out my Wagon on flea bay. My state won't issue me a title so the project is dead.

I kept the entire grille as a memento for wall art. May look good against our new barn siding den wall.
It's a bit on the heavy side so I will probably hang it from ceiling joists with some cable.

Wagon Grille Wall Art
Barn Siding Den Wall

I'm sorry to hear about the Wagon-that is definitely a bummer. On another note as you say you are parting it out; do you have some interior lock knobs for sale or exterior handle in working condition?

I'm sorry to hear about the Wagon-that is definitely a bummer. On another note as you say you are parting it out; do you have some interior lock knobs for sale or exterior handle in working condition?
The exterior handles are still on the doors but are frozen. I will get them off and apart/cleaned up/put back together. The interior lock knobs (ivory?) are missing, there are some mechanisms left. I may go visit the old girl on the farm before hunting season kicks in.

I just ran across this thread today and read thru it, sounds like you had quite a bit of time into this one. Really nice work on the parts you posted and the body mounts and work into all that was pretty cool to see.

How did your body mounts finally work out? If it could be of any use to anyone would you share the drawings or files?

Sorry you had to change plans due to some paperwork crap.

Good luck on parting out your project.

Ok before you get ttoo carried away with parting out the wagon...
why can't you simply turn around and purchase another wagon that already has a title ...or you can get one for.....
and use your existing wagon as a parts wagon to finish the other one. ??
I am sure that there are other wagons out there in decent condition that have titles to them that you could purchase... even in anther state.

I would explore all other options before giving up owning a wagon/truck..

Larry

There is a wagon in NJ for sale with a clean title.

$1k on market place. Not much left to the poor thing, he is parting it out it appears he has a few ads this thing parts wise.

I'm not saying do such a thing, what happens, happens.

But it's really a project truck.

Back