Apr 28, 2018
NW Wyoming
First Name
nathan
Willys Model
  1. Pickup
Willys Year:
  1. 1958
Looking for the specs on the nut that secures the pivot assembly to the cowl. I am getting sick of cold air blowing thru that hole and not having wipers.

I bought the parts for the wiper pully assembly but the half nuts I have were too small.

Looked at the usual website, didnt see one available.

Tried NAPA - they told me they didnt want to order it. Ace didnt have anything either. If I knew the threads I could have one made.

Any help appreciated!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I always felt I was somewhat versed in threaded products, whats a half-nut?? a jam nut that is typically 1/2 the width/height of a normal nut??? I'll be getting into wiper mechanisms sometime this winter.

I always felt I was somewhat versed in threaded products, whats a half-nut?? a jam nut that is typically 1/2 the width/height of a normal nut??? I'll be getting into wiper mechanisms sometime this winter.
Won't argue with the fact that the old boys I grew up handing wrenches to probably had a technical jargon all their own. Whatever ya call em I need a couple!

Nathan, I have a tool to help you install these nuts. I will offer it up in the tool share program and then I can send it to you. It's my prototype but will work fine. The next one will be out of brass to help protect the nut and a little longer handle for more comfort. When you are done with it and someone else needs it, if I have the new one completed, you could probably keep it. We'll see how fast I can get the new one finished. There really is a half nut. It's the nut on a lathe that clamps around the lead screw that engages the feed. I believe our nuts for the wipers are just escutcheon nuts. Attached are photos of the prototype tool (steel) new tool in work (brass) a half nut and the lead screw that feeds the carriage. I tried to show the slots of the escutcheon nuts in a couple pictures. Hope you can make out what I am showing. You could use a screw driver and hammer but that's a little harsh on tools and nuts not to mention the chrome. If you need more pictures just let me know. By the way, I made some thin rubbers gaskets to go between the escutcheon and the body. After installation I checked it all with a water hose and was good to go. Good luck with your project.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 70
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    125.3 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    243.8 KB · Views: 74
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    117.8 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    112 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    68.5 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    69.3 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Gary, nice job on the wiper nut wrench. I made something similar years ago by pressing pins in the side of a socket.

The parts manual describes the wiper nut as follows:
Part# 664814 Nut, windshield wiper pivot shaft.

The gasket is describes as:
Part# 664816 Washer. windshield wiper pivot shaft (Leather)

There you go...

That's good info. The rubber I used is about .030 thick. I can make some out of leather. How thick is your leather and did it go between the body and escutcheon? I assume it was dyed black?

Gary, I used .050" black rubber. I have 1 or 2 of the original leather ones somewhere, and IIRC they were a bit thinner, maybe .030" as you thought. It maybe have compressed over the years though. They are pretty dark, but I do not believe they were dyed black, but got that way from dirt, oil, etc.

Gary, I used .050" black rubber. I have 1 or 2 of the original leather ones somewhere, and IIRC they were a bit thinner, maybe .030" as you thought. It maybe have compressed over the years though. They are pretty dark, but I do not believe they were dyed black, but got that way from dirt, oil, etc.
I have some leather washers for making leather handles on knives. If easy to dye and waterproof. Once i get these parts gathered I'll let everyone know how it works.

Thanks for checking. I am going to try the leather route at about .030 thick. I remember having a tough time cutting clean lines in the rubber. It wanted to move around to much when cutting. Never thought to check the parts manual. I'll post up the results.

I have some leather washers for making leather handles on knives. If easy to dye and waterproof. Once i get these parts gathered I'll let everyone know how it works.

Nathan, I believe, if I remember correctly, the washers are oblong on the outside with a round hole inside. When you get your escutcheon in your hand I remember that the bottom side on mine were ribbed not solid. I believe you will want the gasket to fit both inner and outer shapes so that when compressed by the nut you will not see the gasket from the outside, not drag on the pivot shaft as it rotates and seals out any water. Just my two cents. How thick is the leather you use and where do you get supplies? If I treat the leather with mink oil paste will that seal the leather and prevent rot?

Nathan, I believe, if I remember correctly, the washers are oblong on the outside with a round hole inside. When you get your escutcheon in your hand I remember that the bottom side on mine were ribbed not solid. I believe you will want the gasket to fit both inner and outer shapes so that when compressed by the nut you will not see the gasket from the outside, not drag on the pivot shaft as it rotates and seals out any water. Just my two cents. How thick is the leather you use and where do you get supplies? If I treat the leather with mink oil paste will that seal the leather and prevent rot?
The washers I have are probably on the thick side. I cant remember the exact spec but I have ways to thin it down. The washers I buy are round but probably big enough to cover. I will probably dye the washers and soak in neatsfoot oil, let dry. This will keep the leather supple yet waterproof.

Ill measure those washers and let you know.

Thanks Kenny, found the escutcheons as well. Cheaper than you can get them rechromed if they are good quality.

Back